Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 PM

213 posts, read 508,929 times

Advertisements

(Besides NOT driving in NYC if at all possible? )

Being in my early 20's, I've been sleeping on getting my driver's license. Having readily available public transportation hasn't motivated me to do so, but its time I stop leaning on that excuse.

What concerns me is the aggressive driving and bicycling accidents/fatalities that I've read so much about on the news. Driving tests can teach me how to operate a car, but I feel that they can't teach me the subtleties of NYC driving culture, whatever they may be. So, to those who are familiar with driving in the city, any suggestions for this future rookie driver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times
Ok here's my tips:

*watch out for salmon (cyclists riding in the opposite direction). This type of specie is a public danger, so beware.

*be mindful of pedestrians. A lot of them jaywalk, cross when the light is red, and go around texting/talking without a care in the world. This is especially frequent in manhattan.

*dont excessively pay what I like to call the 'stupid tax' (this is a type of avoidable taxation). This means be mindul of street cleaning times signs, red light cameras, and now the bus cameras (i recently learned of them the hard way).
We all pay some of these ones from time to time but if youre diligent enough, you will pay less.

*dont drink and drive. This is one is obvious, but guess what? People still do it.

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

Last edited by likeminas; 08-15-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
If you are pulling up to an intersection where you have a green light, but you can see there's no room for your car on the other side due to traffic, don't go, even though the drivers behind you will be honking at you to go. You could get stuck in the intersection when the light turns the other way. Not only is this dangerous but you can also get a ticket for blocking the box.

In Manhattan, I used to get frustrated mostly by the yellow cabs, who all seem to be operated by kamikazes. I would try to not let them cut me off. This is simply an exercise in futility. I was taught by someone who just said to drive more slowly and just let them cut me off (swerve in front of me the second they see an opportunity) because they are going to do so anyway and why stress yourself.

This was the most useful advice I got for driving in Manhattan.

If you are going to be parking on the street, learn parallel parking very well, because you will most likely have to do it with traffic coming and in small spaces. After you park, remember to pull your mirrors in. If you are parking at a muni meter, make sure you have the receipt facing up the correct way. If you have the side with the printed time facing down, you will get a ticket even if you paid.

I personally avoid driving in Manhattan at all costs because I really have a hard time dealing with all the challenges and obstacles. Some other people I know are not bothered in the least, though. Driving in the other boroughs is easier but certainly not a breeze.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 PM

436 posts, read 565,475 times
Driving in Manhattan is the extreme case of excessive traffic, limited parking, and many, many rules.

Driving in the outer boroughs isn't nearly as bad, but you'll need to be attentive. Traffic is more dependent on the time of the day; and quite honestly, the boroughs are very good driving practice because you'll find just about every type of road, intersection, traffic signal, and signage in them.

Edit: If you see a bus signaling, just let it come out. Also, watch for the idiots that open their car doors without looking. The latter is more of a problem in the outer boroughs where you'll see more people parking on main roads.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM

40 posts, read 171,980 times
Avoid the Cross Bronx, BQE, and Belt Parkway when possible!!! Always assume that yellow cabs and dollar vans will cut across 3 lanes of traffic to catch a fare!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 PM

34 posts, read 150,309 times
Stay away from Chinatown and watch for people on bikes and dumbasses who like to walk across the street on a green light.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you are going to be parking on the street, learn parallel parking very well, because you will most likely have to do it with traffic coming and in small spaces. After you park, remember to pull your mirrors in. If you are parking at a muni meter, make sure you have the receipt facing up the correct way. If you have the side with the printed time facing down, you will get a ticket even if you paid.
If you are parking on the street, beware that it is often quite difficult to find a parking spot. So leave yourself plenty of time to do so.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Ok here's my tips:

*watch out for salmon (cyclists riding in the opposite direction). This type of specie is a public danger, so beware.

*be mindful of pedestrians. A lot of them jaywalk, cross when the light is red, and go around texting/talking without a care in the world. This is especially frequent in manhattan.

*dont excessively pay what I like to call the 'stupid tax' (this is a type of avoidable taxation). This means be mindul of street cleaning times signs, red light cameras, and now the bus cameras (i recently learned of them the hard way).
We all pay some of these ones from time to time but if youre diligent enough, you will pay less.

*dont drink and drive. This is one is obvious, but guess what? People still do it.

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

No right turns on RED in NYC except where posted sign allows it. (Exact opposite of the rest of the country)

Old 08-16-2012, 08:58 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
...And if you park at a bus stop or fire hydrant, don't complain about getting ticketed.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,967 times
beware when you street park... you car will get dinged left, right, front, back, etc and etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City