Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:50 PM

393 posts, read 783,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Money-wise though, it is overpriced and not a very efficient way to spend your budget on. As some people who know about the RE market there already posted - they will be competing on price with many very rich people from overseas looking to park their money outside their countries.
Oh you don't have to tell me. Queens is my favorite borough. I lived there for years before moving to Manhattan..and now I'm moving back (happily!). I can't justify spending this much money when the quality of life is actually better in Queens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,158,795 times
Quote:
You said you don't know the JH historic district. Maybe you need to know about it before you make any judgement. It is largely white collar professional and college educated, with good apartment stock of well maintained elevator buildings and townhouses. "Mixed bag"? Racially perhaps but not in terms of education and professional status. Residents there are lawyers, artists, authors, teachers and the like.
This is true within the JH historic district and inside the buildings of the historic district. Many of the newer residents (buying in past 10 years) and some of the long-time residents are as described. Some of the apartments are palatial and cost $500k - $800K and those are certainly not being purchased by the working class. However, this is not that apparent once you step outside on the main avenues, which is why people's perceptions of JH are the way they are. Also, since the vibe outside in most of the neighborhood is immigrant oriented and not upscale, it probably would not please the OP much to be living in this type of an environment. Just a guess.

Last edited by Henna; 10-05-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,878,545 times
The first time I visited the place, I was impressed with how long the stretch of the historic district was. It's not so nice past the northern boundary of Northern Blvd. or southern boundary of Roosevelt but in between there is more than enough space for a community that is becoming increasingly affluent. $500K - $800K apartments? Even the middle class are bound to get priced out of that area someday.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,878,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Oh you don't have to tell me. Queens is my favorite borough. I lived there for years before moving to Manhattan..and now I'm moving back (happily!). I can't justify spending this much money when the quality of life is actually better in Queens
Don't mention the rat and bedbug problem in the UWS and the drilling in the UES. That will make for a pleasant surprise for anyone who just moved there.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,158,795 times
Quote:
The first time I visited the place, I was impressed with how long the stretch of the historic district was. It's not so nice past the northern boundary of Northern Blvd. or southern boundary of Roosevelt but in between there is more than enough space for a community that is becoming increasingly affluent. $500K - $800K apartments? Even the middle class are bound to get priced out of that area someday.
Well, that's the high end, and I only have seen one or two priced at $800K Jackson Heights Queens Hawthorne Court - Sensational 3 BR/2 Bath, Fireplace, Location, Garden. Many of the apartments are more reasonably priced at around $180 - 300K.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,338,238 times
Quote:
The Arabs are minority in Bay Ridge and live nearer Dyker Heights. The Chinese are concentrated in Bensonhurst. Same thing with FH and the E. European Jews. As for the trends, that's still a guess. Can we say that UES will become more Latino/AA because it borders E. Harlem? Will Tribeca become more Chinese because it borders Chinatown? Maybe. That's part of the experience of living in NYC. Neighborhood demographics can shift in many different directions.

I don't know about nightclubs in QB in FH and certainly not between Yellowstone and Union Turnpike where anyone with a $5K budget would be considering to live. Perhaps in Rego Park near 63rd but not in FH. Then again most FH residents would have no business going there.
Quit squirming around. This isn't about what they "border." This is about CURRENT population moving INTO the neighborhood, not whatever is in neighborhoods bordering it.

I know people living in that stretch of FH and they are paying nowhere near what would equate to $5,000 a month for 3 BR. I do not see why anyone who can afford that would live there.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Money-wise though, it is overpriced and not a very efficient way to spend your budget on. As some people who know about the RE market there already posted - they will be competing on price with many very rich people from overseas looking to park their money outside their countries.
How do you "park your money" in a rental? OP said she was looking to rent. How is that competing with foreigners looking to buy investment property? Perhaps they can be her landlord.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is true within the JH historic district and inside the buildings of the historic district. Many of the newer residents (buying in past 10 years) and some of the long-time residents are as described. Some of the apartments are palatial and cost $500k - $800K and those are certainly not being purchased by the working class. However, this is not that apparent once you step outside on the main avenues, which is why people's perceptions of JH are the way they are. Also, since the vibe outside in most of the neighborhood is immigrant oriented and not upscale, it probably would not please the OP much to be living in this type of an environment. Just a guess.
Agreed.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, that's the high end, and I only have seen one or two priced at $800K Jackson Heights Queens Hawthorne Court - Sensational 3 BR/2 Bath, Fireplace, Location, Garden. Many of the apartments are more reasonably priced at around $180 - 300K.
TY for not exaggerating the "wealth" of the area and telling the truth.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Don't mention the rat and bedbug problem in the UWS and the drilling in the UES. That will make for a pleasant surprise for anyone who just moved there.
These things can happen anywhere unless rats and bedbugs and construction are banned outside of Manhattan and I never heard the news.

Why be so down on Manhattan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City