Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Okay.

Do you plan on moving back to NYC? Is this why you keep asking all these questions about the projects?
Nobody knows what the future holds so idk maybe I will someday. I just ask these questions to see how NYC is doing compared to what it used to be and so I can compare it to other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
Researchers found that the cities with the worst problems were NYC, Baltimore, DC, LA, Philadelphia, oakland, Seattle, San Diego, Boston and San Francisco. That's how I know for a fact that NYC got hot hard and plus I grew up during that time
What is your source for that information?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What is your source for that information?
Wikipedia. Just look up crack epidemic and it'll tell you everything you need to know.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Sure, NYC could go back the way it was. It won't take all that much, either. It won't have much to do with what the city does; it'll be more the national and global economy. It's in the crapper already, but things could get much worse. Push unemployment up to 15% or so, and add inflation along with it, and country could go down. You'd see rioting, including in NYC.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times
I'm going to engage in a rare act of optimism and say no.

In the 1960s, when the slide really got going, America as a whole was a different place. Race relations where only beginning to thaw, the suburbs were new and shiny, and NY still had a large blue collar base that was just beginning to feel the effects of de-industralization. Not to mention social mores had begun at that time to destablize resulting in street crime as well as the rise of the casual drug culture. Many things sadly came together all at once starting after WWII into the 1980s to create the horror show that would eventually unfold from around 1965 to 1995 in the city.

Many of these issues, while still present, have largley settled down since then. We are light years ahead racially and socially. The suburbs are no longer the lily white oasis of charm they were originally built to be (albeit the schools are still far better). We've mostly accepted and moved on from an industry based economy. Drugs are no longer "new" and in many ways this has resulted in the drug game being more stable than in the 70s/80s. Social mores have largley been static since the 1990s and as such civil society is more stable than in the 1960s.

Could NYC backslide? Most def. Don't mistake the above for losing vigilance. Another economic mega-shock or huge blockbuster of a street drug coming out could definitley create worse conditions than what we see today. There's still many people in corners like Brownsville and Hunts Point who sadly are out there keepin-on-keepin-on with the ignorance. My main concern is who comes out of the post-Bloomberg era. Regardless of what you think of him, the man is not stupid and has largley held it down over his tenure. Sadly, if we get some City Council clown who'll give the store to the unions and welfare crowd and gets the NYPD to turn soft again I'm afraid you may see more BS and crime like in the old days.

But...we'll we ever see the graffiti-etched trains, vast tracts of burned out buildings and general human dereliction that marked much of the late 20th century? No, not on that kind of scale. For those who lived through it, be glad you came out ok. For those who are too young to remember (me), just be glad you didn't have to.....

Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

In the 1960s, when the slide really got going, America as a whole was a different place. Race relations where only beginning to thaw, the suburbs were new and shiny, and NY still had a large blue collar base that was just beginning to feel the effects of de-industralization. Not to mention social mores had begun at that time to destablize resulting in street crime as well as the rise of the casual drug culture. Many things sadly came together all at once starting after WWII into the 1980s to create the horror show that would eventually unfold from around 1965 to 1995 in the city.

Many of these issues, while still present, have largley settled down since then. We are light years ahead racially and socially. The suburbs are no longer the lily white oasis of charm they were originally built to be (albeit the schools are still far better). We've mostly accepted and moved on from an industry based economy. Drugs are no longer "new" and in many ways this has resulted in the drug game being more stable than in the 70s/80s. Social mores have largley been static since the 1990s and as such civil society is more stable than in the 1960s.

Could NYC backslide? Most def. Don't mistake the above for losing vigilance. Another economic mega-shock or huge blockbuster of a street drug coming out could definitley create worse conditions than what we see today. There's still many people in corners like Brownsville and Hunts Point who sadly are out there keepin-on-keepin-on with the ignorance. My main concern is who comes out of the post-Bloomberg era. Regardless of what you think of him, the man is not stupid and has largley held it down over his tenure. Sadly, if we get some City Council clown who'll give the store to the unions and welfare crowd and gets the NYPD to turn soft again I'm afraid you may see more BS and crime like in the old days.

But...we'll we ever see the graffiti-etched trains, vast tracts of burned out buildings and general human dereliction that marked much of the late 20th century? No, not on that kind of scale. For those who lived through it, be glad you came out ok. For those who are too young to remember (me), just be glad you didn't have to.....
Excellent post youve been repped

Old 11-22-2012, 12:27 AM

18 posts, read 39,414 times
No it will never go back, crack will never become a popular drug again and neither will heroin. Chicago is a different world they have always been worse than us in terms of crime, Queensbridge is probably around the size that Cabrini was, and Queensbridge can't touch Cabrini. Cabrini-Green was a hell hole and the Chicago Housing Authority is terrible.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:41 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

Best post I've ever read on this forum.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
I agree, hell of a post shizzles.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
Probably, I don't think it will ever get as bad as before, but the city will definitly become a worser place in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City