Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,726 times

Advertisements

In the 1980s and early 1990s NYC was basically a gutter. It cleaned up around the mid 90s. Now it's probably the safest big city in America in my opinion. This is a great thing. Do you think NYC will ever turn back to the way it was in the 1980s? Explain why.

I have another question. If some Brooklyn or bronx housing projects were the size as Cabrini green projects, do you think they would be just as bad if not worse? Because I always felt that. If certain housing projects(especially back in the 1980s) in Brooklyn or bronx were just as big and compact(meaning people all packed together on top of each other) as Cabrini green projects or Robert Taylor homes, they would be 10x as bad as they already were and would be even worse due to NYC population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
We need only to look to Kurt Russell for answers.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
In the 1980s and early 1990s NYC was basically a gutter. It cleaned up around the mid 90s. Now it's probably the safest big city in America in my opinion. This is a great thing. Do you think NYC will ever turn back to the way it was in the 1980s? Explain why.

I have another question. If some Brooklyn or bronx housing projects were the size as Cabrini green projects, do you think they would be just as bad if not worse? Because I always felt that. If certain housing projects(especially back in the 1980s) in Brooklyn or bronx were just as big and compact(meaning people all packed together on top of each other) as Cabrini green projects or Robert Taylor homes, they would be 10x as bad as they already were and would be even worse due to NYC population.
As you probably know there are alot of new mixed income housing in South Bronx. Eventually the tenants that works and tries to live a normal life will move away due to ghetto element present in the same building and neighborhood. The city then of course fills the vacant apartments with whoever they can find. I think there will be an increase in slummyfication and problems with mainteance of the new buildings that will further escalate the problems that this part of the borough already have.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Nah. Current trends suggest endless gentrification. Pretty soon nobody will able to afford Harlem or many other areas once considered "rough".

Cities in general have been coming back into favor with the younger generations while the suburbs have been declining in popularity. That trend won't reverse itself any time soon I bet.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 AM

398 posts, read 1,392,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Nah. Current trends suggest endless gentrification. Pretty soon nobody will able to afford Harlem or many other areas once considered "rough".

Cities in general have been coming back into favor with the younger generations while the suburbs have been declining in popularity. That trend won't reverse itself any time soon I bet.
That's really good! I always ate it when I see people romanticizing about crime in NYC or whatever city it may be. They don't understand how bad it was back the. If they actually lived through it and saw everyone dropping like flies back then, then I doubt they would be romanticizing.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:53 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
If some Brooklyn or bronx housing projects were the size as Cabrini green projects,
Queensbridge Houses is the largest public housing development in the United States.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
That's really good! I always ate it when I see people romanticizing about crime in NYC or whatever city it may be. They don't understand how bad it was back the. If they actually lived through it and saw everyone dropping like flies back then, then I doubt they would be romanticizing.
Rudy will not be Mayor again. Get over it.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 AM

134 posts, read 250,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Queensbridge Houses is the largest public housing development in the United States.
It is now currently but before they tore down the Robert Taylor Homes in Chicago. The Taylor homes were the largest area of High Rise Public housing in the United States!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Rudy will not be Mayor again. Get over it.

One longs for the good old days when one could be thrown in irons for jaywalking...such fond memories of gay bars being shut and bathhouses closed. And his crowning glory of selling Times Square to Disney.
Yep, that brownshirt really knew how to run things.
But, too bad he couldn't get the trains to run on time like his Italian model did.

His only real claim to fame was he was sitting in his office dreaming of his girlfriend when the World Trade Center was destroyed. He put on his baseball cap, posed for a lot of pictures, and thought of Presidential possibilities.

(Psst, the only thing that "cleaned up New York" was the Clinton era prosperity, aka bubble. Just wait to watch the shine come off if this depression lasts much longer and taxpayers stop bailing out banks and Wall Street and New York gets to share the pain.)

Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
One longs for the good old days when one could be thrown in irons for jaywalking...such fond memories of gay bars being shut and bathhouses closed. And his crowning glory of selling Times Square to Disney.
Yep, that brownshirt really knew how to run things.
But, too bad he couldn't get the trains to run on time like his Italian model did.

His only real claim to fame was he was sitting in his office dreaming of his girlfriend when the World Trade Center was destroyed. He put on his baseball cap, posed for a lot of pictures, and thought of Presidential possibilities.

(Psst, the only thing that "cleaned up New York" was the Clinton era prosperity, aka bubble. Just wait to watch the shine come off if this depression lasts much longer and taxpayers stop bailing out banks and Wall Street and New York gets to share the pain.)
Kefir i've never really had any problems with your posts but this one right here is completely retarded and screams sour grapes... To me, what I take from your post is that the first emboldened part is the real reason why you harbor such resentment towards the man that cleaned up this city... To say that all he did was insincerely pose for cameras and have presidential aspirations when the twin towers fell isn't just nonsensical, it's heartless... Unlike our current ridiculously insincere mayor (who if there is a baby boom 9 months from now will talk about the positives that have come from hurricane sandy and how the situation could have been much worse considereing...) Mayor Giuliani was there for the city during such dark times and you could ask any of the tens of thousands of people who lost family members to 9/11 whether they felt Rudy was even remotely insincere and see what they tell you... (you may end up with a black eye asking them)...

I don't blame people for claiming some of Rudy's tactics were unnecessary, racially motivated, etc etc... That being said, for all those people who say things like that, why don't we take a look at the stats... If his methods were racially motivated, shouldn't the italian/russian/albanian/irish mob still be alive and kicking in this city, keeping neighborhoods in constant fear of falling out of line at any point of time... The mob was leveled under Giuliani's tenure as mayor... sure there are little stories here and there and those who romanticize the mob who claim they're on the rise somehow but under his two terms as mayor he took what was a thriving and violent criminal organization and dismantled it top to bottom... I moved to Ridgewood back when the mob still had a serious presence... For all those people who talk about Ridgewood going down the tubes now with all these new hispanic and black faces, fresh pond rd. has never been safer... There used to be shootouts in broad daylight at what is now a beauty salon called Envy on Fresh Pond Rd. The Puerto Ricans and Italians in the neighborhood used to battle it out all the time along Fresh Pond, Forest, Seneca and Cypress... Now that's done...

Rudy did alot for this city and anyone who talks about his lack of contributions is either one of two things, sensitive or dishonest about the realities of how this city was before he took over... He wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but comparing NYC 1994 to 2002 was like night and day... Not so much crime wise for 2002 to 2012... An argument can be made however that under Bloomberg's tenure, class tension and gaps between rich and poor have only skyrocketed during his campaign...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City