Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

In some ways having a good education has harmed me. I have student loan debt, and after hurricane sandy,when I was looking for a new apartment, I got denied an apartment in Riverdale not because my credit is bad, but the landlord thought my debt balance was too high. So I ended up in wakefield.

Had I just gotten some truck driver job out of high school, I'd not have this debt, and if I did have debt, it might be a mortgage somewhere by now.

But presently, not bothering with a house or a car until I wipe out this student loan debt. But even there, I have one more degree to get (applying to one year programs in grad school) so I can teach on the side (freelance writer here).

I say this not because people should feel sorry for me, because I really do like academic environments, but there are costs to it. It isn't for everyone ,and if someone doesn't like to study anyway, why push them into taking on a lot of DEBT which will have consequences later down the road?

Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
that degree is like buying a business. it may not pay off for years or even at all..
it may open more doors but that does not mean they lead to success.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that degree is like buying a business. it may not pay off for years or even at all..
Indeed, it may not pay of at all, so why try to encourage everyone to do well in school? If you like to study, fine, but if you don't, wants wrong with getting a manual labor, janitorial, or bartender job?

Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

There are plenty of honest, hard working people who drive taxis, buses, work in restaurants, bars, or hotel, do manual labor, work in retail, all without having done so well in school and all without turning to CRIME.
This is why I am generous to the sunny guy from africa who delivers groceries to me. He is outdoors all 4 seasons, an experience I've never had (workwise), he's saying no to a life of crime- not to presume he had criminal inclinations to begin with, just saying .. this is someone I respect a lot.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Indeed, it may not pay of at all, so why try to encourage everyone to do well in school? If you like to study, fine, but if you don't, wants wrong with getting a manual labor, janitorial, or bartender job?
high school is FREE!...... thats what we are talking about. its about getting basic skills sets that let you get to first base . its about using the english language properly without street talk. its about basic math , about basic reading and understanding.

we are not taking college degrees here. just graduating high school.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
high school is FREE!...... thats what we are talking about.
Not everyone is doing to do well in high school, either.

But hey, if they are physically able, there is WORK that they can do, even if its cleaning buildings.

And yes, I've known people who didn't finish high school who still got jobs in construction or the hotel industry.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:12 AM

i wish them luck then without a high school diploma unless they are well schooled in a trade. with no trade and no diploma the odds of doing well are slim slim slim.

if those are the odds they want to take with them through life all i can say is best of look to them . let us know how no diploma and no trade worked out for ya.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
i wish them luck then without a high school diploma unless they are well schooled in a trade. with no trade and no diploma the odds of doing well are slim slim slim.
How much education do you need to clean hotel rooms, or to carry luggage?

How much education do you need to be a doorman?

How much education do you need to work as a dishwasher?

How much education do you need to pour drinks?

How much education do you need to do deliveries?

These aren't trades, but they are jobs done by real people. Something you can't seem to acknowledge.

Not everyone who doesn't do well in high school becomes a criminal. Indeed, that is absolutely no excuse.

And yes, there are people who gasps, work in WalMart, McDonalds, Macy's, Target, etc.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 AM

and at what pay? im not sure what point your trying to make. if its about living a life of minimum wage jobs then don't worry about any education or skill set,.

but if your talking about well paying jobs and not being at the bottom of the ladder through life then more better graduate then are doing it or they better have a good trade behind them. .

Old 12-30-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
and at what pay?
Don't you use all these services?

Newsflash, there are always more people at the bottom of society than at the top. Its the way the world works.

All those low level jobs MUST be FILLED.

The purpose of high school is not to uplift, but to screen out . Those who don't do well enough to advance to college or to better jobs are pushed into the lower level jobs. The education system is a gatekeeper, and will always find ways to screen out large numbers of people. Whether its discipline problems, low grades, low test performance, whatever.

Because you need a lot of people in those low paying jobs. LOL And you want fewer people in those high paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City