Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,821,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpetrov View Post
What about bars and/or liquor stores (hard liquor in both cases as opposed to beer or wine)?
What is your race and age?

White and middle aged is NOT going to make it in that neighborhood and DAMN well not any bar in that area!! Bars are not neighborhood watering holes. There they are hangouts for CRIMINALS and the crimal minded!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 PM

30 posts, read 33,255 times
Thanks and no offense taken. You are correct about new and modern places. Maybe I will need to find an older one? I have had roommates in the past and it hasn't worked out. I have a cushion of my own and a relocation bonus that would cover even a "doomsday" scenario with expectations in this new territory. I am 29 so yes, youngish but not a nightclubber. Happy to drink at the local bar, until it closes or after..

Old 12-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
What is your race and age?

White and middle aged is NOT going to make it in that neighborhood and DAMN well not any bar in that area!! Bars are not neighborhood watering holes. There they are hangouts for CRIMINALS and the crimal minded!
29 years old, biracial (Puerto Rican mother, Irish American dad).

Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,335,006 times
Quote:
Thank you. I am male, and you are right that is the building! I work in sales with a $19,000.00 annual base. With commission I should make 40-50k on top of that, and have in the past 5 years in other city, but in a worse case 50K total with base and commission. My budget is 1500 a month.
Honestly, with that base salary you should pick another living situation at first. I understand that plus commission you would net out around $50K but in sales, especially when you are in a new territory, it may take a while to build up your pipe line and close deals. I'd advise you to pick a roommate situation in Queens, another part of Brooklyn or the Bronx, where you'll be spending $500-$600 (I hear it's possible) for a few months until your sales and commission picks up. Then find a studio or one bedroom in a much safer area of NYC. There are plenty of apartments where, once you get settled into that job, you'll be able to rent for $1400/$1500. They'll be much safer and have much better amenities like good local bars and restaurants besides Chinese take out. Many parts of Queens would fit as well as South Brooklyn and the Northern/Central Bronx.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Honestly, with that base salary you should pick another living situation at first. I understand that plus commission you would net out around $50K but in sales, especially when you are in a new territory, it may take a while to build up your pipe line and close deals. I'd advise you to pick a roommate situation in Queens, another part of Brooklyn or the Bronx, where you'll be spending $500-$600 (I hear it's possible) for a few months until your sales and commission picks up. Then find a studio or one bedroom in a much safer area of NYC. There are plenty of apartments where, once you get settled into that job, you'll be able to rent for $1400/$1500. They'll be much safer and have much better amenities like good local bars and restaurants besides Chinese take out. Many parts of Queens would fit as well as South Brooklyn and the Northern/Central Bronx.
Thanks, roommates have never worked out with me. I did pass on the Pitkin place though as I learned I could extend my motel stay by a month so I wont need a place until 2/1. Where in Queens is good? I am near Flushing now but would want to try somewhere else because I have been banned at a lot of places here already. I would need parking.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,338,238 times
Quote:
Thanks, roommates have never worked out with me. I did pass on the Pitkin place though as I learned I could extend my motel stay by a month so I wont need a place until 2/1. Where in Queens is good? I am near Flushing now but would want to try somewhere else because I have been banned at a lot of places here already. I would need parking.
Please explain the bolded part ...

Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Please explain the bolded part ...
Most of the bars around here...have banned me. I am not welcome back at them, etc.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,073,560 times
I have been in more than my share of bars in my life and you have to be a pretty bad drunk to get yourself banned from most places. I would guess housing may not be your biggest problem in life.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I have been in more than my share of bars in my life and you have to be a pretty bad drunk to get yourself banned from most places. I would guess housing may not be your biggest problem in life.
I guess the places out here (Flushing area) are just uptight. Whatever my other problems, housing is the one I am here to address.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,821,551 times
Quote:
I guess the places out here (Flushing area) are just uptight. Whatever my other problems, housing is the one I am here to address.
You may have to address your behavior, in order to address housing.

In any event, let us ALL say, that, in that regard, you CANNOT exist in any "ghetto" environment, which is where that pink building iis located. Nor can you frequent ANY bar in such an area, you will be killed, literally!!

Where are you from, again?

Would you say, you are more of a 'working class' knock back a few aftwr work kinda guy (perhaps with a bit of an issues?)? Again, no insult intended.

Anyway, tendy and ghetto is not waht you need. I presume an inexpensive, working class, white neighborhood is the drill.

I suggest, Brooklyn, Bay Ridge. A studio in a pre war older walkup building. Perhaps someone may have rent infor, but I suppose you can find something for $1000, maybe even a bit less.

You could try a private home, basement apartment, but in an owner occupied, your "issues" may be an issue!

Anyway, take the "R" train to the last stop in Brooklyn, check out the areas, find a real estate broker's office, and see what they have available, make sure to try more than one office. The fee s/b precisely one month's rent!! Street Parking s/do you well, but make sure you comprehend the "Alternate Side Parking Rules" in the area. Very import, otherwiise you will be ticketed, and if you do not pay the ticket you WILL be towed!! Tickets are EXPENSIVE, so do not ignore them!A

Perhaps, Ridgewood might serve you, hopefull the resident Ridgewood expert will chime in. If not do a forum search.

Since you have a vehicle, I would also consider the Rockaways, generally the cheapest fairly safe area in the city, IMO, but unfortunately, the area was devastated by Hurricane Sandy. "Seventh Floor" is the resident expert, perhaps he will advise.

Luck!

Seriously dude. nyc alcoholics anonymous - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City