Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 AM

770 posts, read 1,133,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
yeah it will happen everywhere so you will not have anyone to talk about.

Well, there will always be you my brother....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,006,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
The state of NY had some form of welfare or gov't aide since the turn of the last century, and federal welfare appeared in the 1930's with the great depression it's also one of the main reasons ppl got of the extreme poverty of the great depression.

This is one subject I have a lot of knowledge and personal experience in, one studies overwhelmingly show that the nations that offer the most and best welfare programs have the largest decrease in poverty in the upcoming generations. The problem with out welfare system is it's actually BS compared to most developed countries it does not give enough opportunities or help to get ppl out of their situation but just enough to barely get by. You do not get out of poverty with hard work alone thats a lie conservatives tell it's through hard work and the right opportunities. My family has worked it way out from poverty we were almost homeless at one point but it was not just hard work we got a lot of help and everybody who has ever worked their way up has gotten a lot of help or at least one great opportunity.

Not to mention the vast majority of poor ppl are the hardest working ppl in the country it's a small minority of the poor who are that way because their lazy and don't work hard. Who works the toughest dirtiest jobs the poor, who usually works two sometimes three jobs the poor, who does all the menial labor jobs that allows our society to even function the poor.

We have to stop thinking so selfishly with this every man for themselves mentality were all connected were part of an ecosystem whether we realize it or not plus we're social animals there should be no reason for anyone to be living in destitution with all the knowledge we have.
My parents had jobs that most Americans did not want - sharecropping at first. Nobody gave them a hand, but there were jobs more plentiful then for unskilled labor. The hand up that poor people need is more low level jobs and ultimately unions which gave a lot of people a working salary so they could save to buy houses and afford an education. Our outsourcing policy makes the poor poorer. But, remember, when such jobs were plentiful there were still people who were happy living off the dole and gaming the system with a large number of kids, drug dealing, etc.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM

420 posts, read 699,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The majority of blacks and hispanics in NYC's housing projects moved here after WW2. Of course, the younger generations were born here.

Still doesn't change the fact that obviously they were living somewhere else in the 20th century, before you had massive housing projects constructions in the 60s and 70s.
Concept of 'the projects' as we know it was conceived to house the soldiers coming home from war. The white population DOMINATED the projects in those days.. up until maybe the mid-60s

Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 PM

32 posts, read 71,246 times
Poverty can happen to anyone.

Many hard-working highly educated people are struggling now and are seeing their hard-won assets quickly evaporate. Others with fewer lifetime resources are doing far worse.

If you feel that people who desperately need help are leeches, this may be your way of coping with your deep underlying fear of poverty happening to YOU. It can.

To those of you who despise people whose lives are such a tragedy they can only tolerate them by being "arrogant"--

Shame on you for being so hard-hearted and selfish. Shame on you.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,891,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL99 View Post
Many hard-working highly educated people are struggling now and are seeing their hard-won assets quickly evaporate. Others with fewer lifetime resources are doing far worse.
The highly educated people I know who are struggling typically have made ill advised decisions like:

- Buying a house that is too expensive for their own boss to afford
- Buying a car(s) that are more expensive than their boss'
- Spending on vacations that are too expensive for their own boss
- Unrealistic expectations about education and summer camps
- Unrealistic expectations about kid's college
- That new iPhone thingamajing

Old 02-12-2013, 03:07 PM

32 posts, read 71,246 times
You need to hang around with smarter highly-educated people.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,891,866 times
The smarter highly educated people I know are by and large not struggling percisely because they are smart.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,955,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The highly educated people I know who are struggling typically have made ill advised decisions like:

- Buying a house that is too expensive for their own boss to afford
- Buying a car(s) that are more expensive than their boss'
- Spending on vacations that are too expensive for their own boss
- Unrealistic expectations about education and summer camps
- Unrealistic expectations about kid's college
- That new iPhone thingamajing
I am far from unsympathetic to people having trouble, but I must say ... I agree.
I also see this.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,006,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL99 View Post
Poverty can happen to anyone.

If you feel that people who desperately need help are leeches, this may be your way of coping with your deep underlying fear of poverty happening to YOU. It can.

To those of you who despise people whose lives are such a tragedy they can only tolerate them by being "arrogant"--

Shame on you for being so hard-hearted and selfish. Shame on you.
I agree with you. I think most of these people are sick of thinking that others are gaming the system. They watch the characters on Judge Judy who seem like free loaders and they have overheard conversations by real people of how they are cheating. On top of that there have been news stories of rings of people that were broken up who claimed public assistance in several states or under false names.

Maybe if there were a better way of verifying that these are people who are deserving, there would not be so much opposition.

There are just those who refuse to apply a constant and steady effort to better themselves in life. They just give up because it is easier to do so. I wish life would be easier for each of us, but sometimes it is rough and you just have to persevere.

I know people in both categories. People who have struggled and done the best they could I have no problem giving aid to, but the others, not so much.

If some of these characters are so fine, why would any bring a child into a world in which their finances are shaky?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM

107,080 posts, read 109,388,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
Concept of 'the projects' as we know it was conceived to house the soldiers coming home from war. The white population DOMINATED the projects in those days.. up until maybe the mid-60s
Having grown up in the 1960's in the woodside housing project i do remember it being fairly white.

Wow i don't know why it popped in my head but does anyone rember the hobart theater?. I seem to remember going there as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City