Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM

90 posts, read 253,216 times

Advertisements

Hello. I just moved to NY about a month ago for work. For the first few weeks I was here, I was living in Manhattan, in Washington Heights but decided that the area was too noisy and crowded. So I moved a little further north into Sutheast Yonkers. I've only been in my apt for 3 nights but already have encountered very noisy people directly above me. They play very loud music in the evening and at night. I'm assuming their Latino because the music is in Spanish. Not being from NY, I'm very nervous and unsure how to deal with this problem. I've met the super in the building but haven't spoken to him yet about it, but kind of get the feeling he's the kind of guy who'll dismiss the problem and say there's nothing he can do. I'm from California and have also lived in Arizona. I've NEVER NEVER NEVER had this problem before in my life and am really sick of everyone telling me that "it's just what people from here do!". I'm so annoyed at everyone's "don't care" attitude. Someone even told me that people in NY feel like they can do whatever they want because they paid to live here, like it's their right to disturb everyone around them!

Is there some sort of loud noise law or ordinance that makes it illegal for this to happen after a certain time or something? Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can go about fixing this situation? Maybe sleep isn't important to everyone but it's damn important to me!!!

As of this writing the music has been nonstop for 4+ hours from 5:00-8:15PM. Very worried its going to continue all night long. Should I call the police???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
move. I mean it, move.

it wont stop, it will only get worse if they know you complain.

I agree with you, I wouldn't not like it either.

find a better neighborhood. trust me on this

Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,077,806 times
Don't call the police or else you will have a bulls-eye on your head. Everyone is going to know the new guy called the cops.

What part of Wash Heights did you live? I would try Washington Heights again. If you want quiet, try 176 to 193 (west of Broadway NOT on broadway but West of it).

Every neighborhood will have its negatives and positives. I would consider moving again but this time research the area, the building, etc.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,590 times
Many, many moons ago, when I used to live in Manhattan, and then Brooklyn. I learned after several moves, that the only place that you would find some degree of quietness is on a top floor, and from then one, every time I moved, I moved to a top floor.

Complaining will get not get you anywhere, probably killed. Sorry, but these are the facts. However, if you move into a condominium with an association that is very proactive, you may stand a chance, because the association will get after them.

Otherwise, save your money and buy a house that you can control, like I did on Staten Island, now I have TOTAL BLISS.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 PM

21 posts, read 90,935 times
you can make a noise complaint by calling 311

311 Online Noise from Neighbor

Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 PM

90 posts, read 253,216 times
Little update:

I spoke with the super after 5+ hours of loud noise. He told me to knock on their door and ask nicely to lower the music. He said if it continues to go back and he'll call the police. He seemed to say something along the lines of the tennants here know to keep the noise down. The guy upstairs was nice about it and he has turned it down. Hopefully, I'll be able to sleep tonight and every night and have some peace. I signed a year lease but am seriously considering moving again further north into the suburbs once I get my car in a few months. Perhaps I can find someone to sublet this place. It's not bad, but I absolutely CANNOT live with noise at night. I need my peace and quiet.

I suppose it's a good sign that the supper seemed to be genuinely on my side and serious about the police thing.

Any other thoughts would be great. Anyone think I'll have a hard time with the whole sublet thing?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 PM

151 posts, read 404,831 times
Hispanics are very koud people. I have lived below two hispanic families...never again!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 AM

11 posts, read 23,155 times
That's what I would have suggested. Go upstairs, (if you want to bring a cake or something) and knock on the door introducing yourself as the new neighbor who lives right below them and say you noticed they sometimes play their music a little loud, if they'd mind turning it down late at night you would really appreciate it. Chances are these people are not monsters and they won't blow your head off right away but maybe didn't even think about the fact that their music might be heard in other apartments.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
As mentioned the first thing to do is to try to talk to your noisy neighbors themselves. If that still doesn't work then you may want to contact the bldg. management or the police if it is late at night (between 11PM and 6AM).

Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
Hispanics are very koud people. I have lived below two hispanic families...never again!!!
I agree with this. I hate to sound like a jerk but this has been my experience as well. I actually lived above a couple who actually made things worse when I left them a nice note saying that their surround sound was keeping me up. Then they told the landlord I was stomping on the floor to get back at them. Which was a lie!

OP-I would suggest moving when you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City