Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times

Advertisements

Are these union workers currently under contract till end of the school year? Are there any contract violations? They really pick the right day to start a strike. Yesterday was cold, wet, and slippery. Lots of parents fought hard to bring their kids to school on time. How many of them will agree with the union? Any public polls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,465 times
I think it's kind of hard to feel sorry for people in unions wanting details worked out in their already fat contracts where they're making gigantically more than their non-union counterparts and receiving huge benefits packages, while enjoying certain job security to top it all off.

It's hard to feel sympathy for them wanting more than they already have when there's so much unemployment and so many qualified people that can't find jobs anywhere that would probably be more than happy to take their jobs for half the pay and benefits.

I'm not saying I'm pro nor anti-union, just commenting on their attitude as of late.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
The average school bus driver in New York City makes $38,000. For those whos think that's too much, to what annual salary should it be lowered?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:39 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
I think it's kind of hard to feel sorry for people in unions wanting details worked out in their already fat contracts where they're making gigantically more than their non-union counterparts and receiving huge benefits packages, while enjoying certain job security to top it all off.

It's hard to feel sympathy for them wanting more than they already have when there's so much unemployment and so many qualified people that can't find jobs anywhere that would probably be more than happy to take their jobs for half the pay and benefits.

I'm not saying I'm pro nor anti-union, just commenting on their attitude as of late.
I understand these emotions as well. They're perfectly understandable considering everything.

The unions came about for a REASON. Many believed they became obsolete, because private companies and many state and federal labor boards began granting the same job securities and benefits that the UNIONS procured many years before.

I'm not saying unions are "perfect", but they do a lot to make sure that working class jobs provide liveable wages to help take care of a family.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The average school bus driver in New York City makes $38,000. For those whos think that's too much, to what annual salary should it be lowered?
"$15,000 or less" is what they'll say, because this is what so-called "unskilled" jobs should pay.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
"$15,000 or less" is what they'll say, because this is what so-called "unskilled" jobs should pay.
And then they'll whine about how hard it is to make ends meet on $100,000.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I understand these emotions as well. They're perfectly understandable considering everything.

The unions came about for a REASON. Many believed they became obsolete, because private companies and many state and federal labor boards began granting the same job securities and benefits that the UNIONS procured many years before.

I'm not saying unions are "perfect", but they do a lot to make sure that working class jobs provide liveable wages to help take care of a family.
I'm not denying any of that, I'm just saying that lately their attitude has SUCKED. They sound like whiny rich kids who aren't getting their 5th bowl of ice cream after dinner while there's people outside looking in who didn't even get dinner.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
Somehow America has been sold the idea that many people, perhaps even most people, simply don't deserve a comfortable standard of living, no matter how hard they work. Only people with the right kind of jobs should get a nice home and good schools for their kids and good food and vacations, it seems. The rest are meant to struggle.

People take this belief almost for granted now. It's hardly questioned. I think the decline of unions has a lot to do with it.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Somehow America has been sold the idea that many people, perhaps even most people, simply don't deserve a comfortable standard of living, no matter how hard they work. Only people with the right kind of jobs should get a nice home and good schools for their kids and good food and vacations, it seems. The rest are meant to struggle.

People take this belief almost for granted now. It's hardly questioned. I think the decline of unions has a lot to do with it.
They've been sold a lie.

Lennon put it nicely in a song.

[LEFT]Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still fvcking peasants as far as I can see
A working class hero is something to be

There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill

[/LEFT]

Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 AM

^^ No truer words were ever spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City