Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 AM

237 posts, read 787,232 times

Advertisements

Just curious for any input...

I recently saw an adorable bungalow that is detached, on Staten Island, and nice and roomy inside. The rent is affordable. Landlord seems nice, and reasonable.

HOWEVER it was flooded in the storm. Just renovated, everything brand new.

I am a bit concerned to rent in a heavily hit area though. I fear another storm, and I fear that there may be health issues (mold etc) down the line.

But I really loved the place, and don't know if I am just being paranoid.

Thoughts? Would you rent in a Zone A heavily hit area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 AM

145 posts, read 334,576 times
i personally would not do it. we live in zone a and would like to move out asap. i would possibly consider renting a second or third floor apartment further inland in zone a, but it would have to be an amazing deal and absolutely NOT ground/basement level. Another thing to think about - have you gotten a quote on renters insurance for that property? It is likely very expensive or maybe even not insurable at this point.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoamy View Post
i personally would not do it. we live in zone a and would like to move out asap. i would possibly consider renting a second or third floor apartment further inland in zone a, but it would have to be an amazing deal and absolutely NOT ground/basement level. Another thing to think about - have you gotten a quote on renters insurance for that property? It is likely very expensive or maybe even not insurable at this point.
I don't get why people are so scared....people still live in Florida, right?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
LOL it's true....I guess NYers are just not used to such things.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
you dont get why people are so scared? for us personally, we live close to the water in a hard hit area. every ground floor or basement level home or business on our street and the surrounding area was destroyed by the flood waters. i saw many neighbors loose EVERYTHING. we were displaced for weeks while repairs were made to our building. hurricane sandy and the aftermath have made a permanent impression in my mind and it is not something i would like to experience again. we love our apartment and area, but the risk is not worth it to us. as soon as it's feasible, we will be moving. sure people live in florida, but i also think homes built in florida have been built keeping hurricanes in mind and are therefore better equipped and prepared to handle these types of storms.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
LOL it's true....I guess NYers are just not used to such things.
sure, it's all LOL until it's your home or business thats been damaged or lost.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
sure, it's all LOL until it's your home or business thats been damaged or lost.
Sorry didn't mean to be insensitive.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
you dont get why people are so scared? for us personally, we live close to the water in a hard hit area. every ground floor or basement level home or business on our street and the surrounding area was destroyed by the flood waters. i saw many neighbors loose EVERYTHING. we were displaced for weeks while repairs were made to our building. hurricane sandy and the aftermath have made a permanent impression in my mind and it is not something i would like to experience again. we love our apartment and area, but the risk is not worth it to us. as soon as it's feasible, we will be moving. sure people live in florida, but i also think homes built in florida have been built keeping hurricanes in mind and are therefore better equipped and prepared to handle these types of storms.
I live in Rockaway...I have no plans on leaving.

Might I suggest Pittsburgh, PA for you? It's one of the lowest-at-risk places in the country to experience any type of natural disaster.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
I guess NYers are just not used to such things.
This is what led to so many being traumatized.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I live in Rockaway...I have no plans on leaving.

Might I suggest Pittsburgh, PA for you? It's one of the lowest-at-risk places in the country to experience any type of natural disaster.
good for you. continuing to live this close to the water after seeing the damage sandy caused to my neighborhood is outside my comfort zone...what exactly is your problem with that? if you're afraid of losing your home to a hurricane, get out of ny! go to the midwest! why is to so offensive that i'd rather live further inland to minimize the risk of losing my home? fwiw, i lived a couple blocks from wtc on 9/11 and did not flee to the 'burbs. i'm not the cry baby midwesterner you're trying to paint me as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City