Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Move near water-sandy flooded area?
Yes 15 40.54%
No 22 59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 PM

237 posts, read 787,350 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving back where I lived before the storm, in South Beach Staten Island. Also looking in other areas that are somewhat close to the water.

I am somewhat scared that there will be another storm.

I have looked at several nice townhouses in the area fully renovated.

Would you move in those areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM

43 posts, read 76,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
I am considering moving back where I lived before the storm, in South Beach Staten Island. Also looking in other areas that are somewhat close to the water.

I am somewhat scared that there will be another storm.

I have looked at several nice townhouses in the area fully renovated.

Would you move in those areas?
You are smart.

The people whom are rebuilding in the EXACT SPOT where their previous house got washed out to sea, are just asking for it. It WILL happen again, and soon.

Also, in the actual city, I'd never rent/buy a place in the flood zones. Why risk going through that again. And it WILL happen again. Soon...

Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLjustLOL View Post
You are smart.

The people whom are rebuilding in the EXACT SPOT where their previous house got washed out to sea, are just asking for it. It WILL happen again, and soon.

Also, in the actual city, I'd never rent/buy a place in the flood zones. Why risk going through that again. And it WILL happen again. Soon...
You think so? i keep hearing mixed things, some people think there will be another bad storm soon, and others think that was a one in a hundred year storm.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
You think so? i keep hearing mixed things, some people think there will be another bad storm soon, and others think that was a one in a hundred year storm.
Ocean levels are rising, fact. Weather is changing, fact.

These storms will become more and more frequent and unless we build a massive multi-billion dollar flood wall, a good third of Manhattan will eventually be underwater.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 PM

just the fact that two storms hit in a year, Irene then Sandy. Very unusual for NY

Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
Ocean levels are rising, fact. Weather is changing, fact.

These storms will become more and more frequent and unless we build a massive multi-billion dollar flood wall, a good third of Manhattan will eventually be underwater.
Sandy was a freak storm in its own right that hit at high tide on a new moon as well having a freakish path that turned straight on NYC.
The odds of that happening again are slim. Very slim.

If it hit at high tide but not on a new moon or on a new moon but not on high tide or neither on a new moon nor a high tide things would not have been nearly as bad.

Some areas are flood prone simply from heavy rains (esp some very low lying areas in SI) and I would avoid those.
On the other hand, I live in an area which was flooded by Sandy but never saw flooding before that. In fact, during heavy rains, the neighborhoods drains extremely well and even the water as a result of Sandy drained fairly quickly.

The odds that a storm like Sandy hits again in our lifetime are slim to none.

Will we see more hurricane type/ tropical storms in NYC going forward? Probably.

It's like the earthquake that hit the city a few years ago. It's a freak event and you can't live your life according to freak events.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
In Staten Island I would never live below the Blvd.
My parents are 1 block above, in Bay Terrace, they got nothing at all.

I would look elsewhere, why chance it. You had a major floord, had damage, you really don't want to gothru that again, now do you?

Staten Island has many other nicer areas than Midland beach in which to live. I say move elsewhere.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 PM

34,102 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Sandy was a freak storm in its own right that hit at high tide on a new moon as well having a freakish path that turned straight on NYC.

If it hit at high tide but not on a new moon or on a new moon but not on high tide or neither on a new moon nor a high tide things would not have been nearly as bad.

Some areas are flood prone simply from heavy rains (esp some very low lying areas in SI) and I would avoid those.
On the other hand, I live in an area which was flooded by Sandy but never saw flooding before that. In fact, during heavy rains, the neighborhoods drains extremely well and even the water as a result of Sandy drained fairly quickly.

Will we see more hurricane type/ tropical storms in NYC going forward? Probably.

It's like the earthquake that hit the city a few years ago. It's a freak event and you can't live your life according to freak events.
/thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

I'm sorry about your property, bro, but the next storm is coming. Probably this year.

The FACTS are that the ocean is rising and because of the increasing average air and water temp, we will be getting more and more major storms.

If you build or buy/rent/rebuild a place in a flood zone, you are simply asking for trouble. Don't ask me to bail you out...

Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 PM

34,102 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
I'm sorry about your property, bro, but the next storm is coming. Probably this year.

The FACTS are that the ocean is rising and because of the increasing average air and water temp, we will be getting more and more major storms.

If you build or buy/rent/rebuild a place in a flood zone, you are simply asking for trouble. Don't ask me to bail you out...
Scared punk! Read about the Low Countries. They've been dealing with floods for hundreds of years why cant we. Pure ignorance.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City