Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I did not get trapped in food service. There's no such thing, you can leave a job whenever you please.
Your privilege is showing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
Your privilege is showing.
A lot of people move to NYC, and end up getting good jobs.

I'm sorry that some of you suck so badly at everything you have to try to scare of young people 18-25 from coming to the city to study and work.

Its lame when you think about it. That's really the only reason I participated on this nonsensical thread.

If anyone wants to move to NYC, if they dedicate themselves to it, they can find ways to make it work. If anyone really wants to go for a career in NYC, they can find ways to make it work. What way or ways? Its different for different people, as we all are individuals and each have our own situation.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS5689 View Post
Perhaps it's because of where I was educated (Westchester public schools, I won't dare say which one for fear of starting a tiff) but everyone I went to high school with is doing exceptionally well now. Maybe we're the lucky ones, but I'd prefer to say we're the ones who worked hard in college, landed great internships and busted our butts to get the jobs we have.

This. exactly. If you have the drive and initiative and are willing to sacrifice at times you CAN and WILL land that amazing dream job here. You just will. It's all about networking. I moved to NYC with no contacts in my field, landed a crappy temp job through an employment agency and exploited the situation to my advantage as much as possible- i.e. volunteered for unpaid assignments in order to make connections in the industry. At one point I was attending grad school full time, working 40 hours a week AND had an unpaid 20 hour a week internship. I never slept. And you know what? I finished school and landed that dream job.

People who complain about outsiders swooping in and taking jobs simply do not have the drive or education or skills to land the jobs themselves. When it comes down to it, an employer should hire the most qualified person for the job, not the person who is native to the area just because they are from there.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 PM

241 posts, read 373,077 times
It's intereting that the op basically abandoned this thread early on. I guess they don't really have that much conviction in their beliefs.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
self righteous much? if someone wants to move to nyc when their young then let them, its the time when they have the least commit and able to be flexible enough to do what they want or shape shift in certain situations...

Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
A lot of confirmation bias in this thread. From both sides.

I tend to believe the NYC market isn't as wide open as it used to be but there are real opportunities.

On the other hand some of you are making outright demented assumptions. Out of my circle of 4 close friends, 3 make 100k or more. Does that mean that 75% or Americans or NY'ers make that? I gave a few personal anecdotes but I also try to see if they're in line with a wider trend.

Assuming leaving a job whenever one pleases is the norm?
My friends and I are doing well so it must be doable for all?
All it takes is hard work and therefore a lack of success is a lack of hard work? (I can point to plenty of people who work hard and it hasn't got them anywhere)

Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A lot of people move to NYC, and end up getting good jobs.

I'm sorry that some of you suck so badly at everything you have to try to scare of young people 18-25 from coming to the city to study and work.

Its lame when you think about it. That's really the only reason I participated on this nonsensical thread.

If anyone wants to move to NYC, if they dedicate themselves to it, they can find ways to make it work. If anyone really wants to go for a career in NYC, they can find ways to make it work. What way or ways? Its different for different people, as we all are individuals and each have our own situation.
For some people in this country believe the grass on the eastern banks of the Hudson River has very, very green pastures. Most Transplants I met do real good for themselves.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
A lot of confirmation bias in this thread. From both sides.

I tend to believe the NYC market isn't as wide open as it used to be but there are real opportunities.

On the other hand some of you are making outright demented assumptions. Out of my circle of 4 close friends, 3 make 100k or more. Does that mean that 75% or Americans or NY'ers make that? I gave a few personal anecdotes but I also try to see if they're in line with a wider trend.

Assuming leaving a job whenever one pleases is the norm?
My friends and I are doing well so it must be doable for all?
All it takes is hard work and therefore a lack of success is a lack of hard work? (I can point to plenty of people who work hard and it hasn't got them anywhere)
None of this has anything to do with 18 year olds coming to NYC, and the fact that some people here are actively trying to discourage kids from coming here, for no other reason than to be malicious.

Yes, its very doable for that 18 year old to come here and make a life for himself here. Will that necessarily happen? No. But that 18 year old won't know till until the kid moves here and tries, and there's no harm in that.

As for the people who work hard and it hasn't gotten them anywhere. Then their are reasons for that (it depends on what they're doing and why it isn't working out for them).

And NY is an at will employment state. Your job may fire you whenever they please, and you may leave whenever you please, unless some sort of contract is signed.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
What is with this forum and trying to dissuade people from moving to NYC? Other city data forums aren't like this, even for other expensive cities. Why do you care?
Many reasons actually and virtually no one here got his point. What he was saying is that you should not come here with any skills. That is what many 20s come here and do. Women major in BS degrees (Marketing-Journalism-Psychology-Liberal Arts-Fashion) and try to find a suitor. Men come here thinking they can get laid 24/7 and the sky is the limit.

What you do in your early 20s sets the foundation for your future. This is paramount especially in today’s economy. That means you need to make sacrifices while you are young in order to live a better life post 25. Most of these 20s he speaks of waste their 20s living it up in NYC and then try to get back on the bandwagon in their late 20s or early 30s. It doesn't work that way and that’s what a lot of young people don't understand.

For all its glamour, NYC is really a place for workaholics. The reason so many entry level analyst look like they’re in their late 20s or early 30s is because all they do is work. NYC is not a place to live it up and with that attitude you WILL FAIL period. Contrary to what you see on TV, most people DONT live it up anything. The job is your life. Most of your time will be spent with your co-workers. You'll be working 10hrs+ a day. More $$$ means more time you'll be in the office aka more than 10hrs+ a day (certain jobs exception).

Yes we all heard of "bust your ass off and hard work pays", but that's completely garbage. Welcome to reality. It's who you know that pays not your degree or credentials. Ask any NYer and he'll say the same thing. Networking is not busting your ass at all. It's called kissing someone's ass and socializing. I mean face to face and not that crap twitter, facebook, linkedin, any social media rubbish that no real corporation uses. This is the first reality check that 20s get hit with especially minorities and women. In the real world it doesn't matter how hard you work. If you can't have a 5 min conversation with your boss everyday, welcome to dead-end job territory. Little things matter and that is the problem with youngins today. They can work hard, but not work smart.

Most people do not have the same connections rich/native NYers have. For a person to just show up in NYC with:

no skills
no connections
no status
no experience
no job
no money

The future is bleak and only hurting yourself. Instead of saving for grad or working your area, you decide to come to NYC, incur MORE debt, no savings, work dead end jobs, no assets...list goes on. 20s decide to screw the rest of their lives for just 5 years of fun. It also shows that they are ignorant and have no idea what is going on in the country. The avg. American has 60K debt (deficit + govt. spending) and is going to continue to rise. Taxes are increasing, wages remain flat, and NYC job market is contracting. Why are you moving to an area which has little to NO OPPURTUNNITIES???!!! That's what contracting means in case you did not know. It makes absolutely no sense because the debt you incur and decrease in earning power (fun fact: if you decide to do a job for low pay at a company, good luck getting a raise no matter where you work). If NY specializes in your field of study then you should come here, but don’t live in Manhattan and pay $7 for a small box of cereal. Despite all of this, few will make it, but many won't. If struggling is someone's idea of "fun" lol by all means come here, but what the OP is saying is to at least be smart about it. At least have 1 leg up against the rest of the competition.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Employers drop on their knees with your pants down once they find out you have a degree from a school like Cornell. I visited Cornell some years ago, plenty of suicides!

An BA from Cornell is equivalent to Doctorate from CUNY or SUNY institutions.
Not quite, for teaching positions I still need a masters, which is why I did my grad school applications. But yes, Cornell has certain had its share of suicides. Other major high pressure universities do as well, from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City