Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM

28 posts, read 41,270 times

Advertisements

A move to Washington Heights may be necessary in the coming months. I would appreciate any and all info regarding this area; ease of transit, best neighborhoods for: restaurants, shopping, cinema, parks, walking, safety, etc...Remember, any and 'all' info will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,977 times
The reason why I am familiar with that area is because my surgeon operates out of Columbia-Presbyterian. So I have been there and the surrounding on many occasions. Now, I am not a NYC resident, just someone who has been there a lot, this is what I have observed from an outsider's perspective.

The neighborhood of Washington Heights, just north of Harlem seems like an average-to-good place to live. From what I understand, it is a heavily Dominican area, but some white people and other groups are moving in. The prices advertised seem reasonable by Manhattan standards, but I do not know how long that will last. During the day, the area seems pretty safe, but some parts are sketchy at night (like by the GW Bridge Bus Terminal where NJ kids go to buy drugs). The area west of Broadway is usually better than those areas to the east. As for transportation...there are express trains to Midtown, so it is definitely an easy commute. I believe the subway at 168th is where you will find the express stops. As for parks...The Fort Tyron Park is one of my favorites in the city. It contains the only natural forest left in Manhattan, many hills with scenic views, the site of a fortification from the Revolutionary War and the Cloisters (a world-class Middle-Ages Art Museum). Broadway Avenue is the main commercial area. It has it section of Caribbean restaurants, shops and stores. For world-class shopping, you will have to go to Madison Ave. though. That is really all I can think of so far, but I am sure more people in here will have much more to add.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
The basic rule of thumb for a lot of people is to stay west of Broadway as it's quieter and more gentrified. There are some great Dominican restaurants there and some decent other cuisines in the area. The area is flanked by a lot of beautiful greenspace and two of the best seldom visited small museums in the city: the Cloisters and the Hispanic Society of America.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times
There is easy access to Midtown on the A express train.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
Do a forum search, there are MANY threads on the area.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
The area is gentrifying fast so make your move before all the affordable spots are gone. Now that MTV has a reality show based there, it is bound to become the next hip area in Manhattan, leaving even less space on the island for poor and middle-class folk. Some people will tell you that west of Broadway is better than east, but in my experiences both sides are perfectly fine - much more stable than neighbourhoods to the south, but be aware that there is a huge drug scene there, and the neighbourhood is home to more than a few big-time traffickers. This is especially true for heroin.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
My advice would be to bring ear plugs, and pray that you live in a building with under 20% Dominicans, otherwise the music will be blasting nonstop. Summer is especially interesting..the parties never stop! Don't bring a car as street parking is nonexistent, although you can pay for parking in a lot. You will get your money's worth out of your unlimited metrocard as I suspect all of your social life will be spent outside the nabe.

You should watch "the Heights" on MTV...it gives some idea about the nabe.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
My advice would be to bring ear plugs, and pray that you live in a building with under 20% Dominicans, otherwise the music will be blasting nonstop. Summer is especially interesting..the parties never stop! Don't bring a car as street parking is nonexistent, although you can pay for parking in a lot. You will get your money's worth out of your unlimited metrocard as I suspect all of your social life will be spent outside the nabe.

You should watch "the Heights" on MTV...it gives some idea about the nabe.
The nightlife is decent in the Heights/Inwood. It's better than many realize.

Yes the area is loud, consistenly makes list of loudest areas in NYC. But if you live closer to parkland and farther away from 181st/GW bridge, noise is less of an issue.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM

123 posts, read 176,828 times
Is The Heights actually worth watching?
I live in WH now, and its not that bad. The express trains stop at 168 and. 163. There is smaller Dominican restaurants and stores, and there is bigger chains like CTown and Assosiated. I do spend most time in UWS though since no nightlife. (Although a bar opened up in Harlem at 149/Broadway which is great for those of us in the heights:-)

Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook617 View Post
Is The Heights actually worth watching?
I live in WH now, and its not that bad. The express trains stop at 168 and. 163. There is smaller Dominican restaurants and stores, and there is bigger chains like CTown and Assosiated. I do spend most time in UWS though since no nightlife. (Although a bar opened up in Harlem at 149/Broadway which is great for those of us in the heights:-)
No, The Heights is not worth watching. Unless you enjoyed Jersey Shore and all the other mindless, juvenile reality TV programs they feature on MTV - Mindless Television
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City