Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,873 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to a really great apartment on Lafayette between Grand Avenue and Classon. My room mates have all said how safe they feel in the area but I've noticed a lot of recent muggings and robberies being reported around the area (one right on the corner). I would love to hear from Clinton Hill residents (especially those that border Bed-Stuy) what they feel about the area, any tips on where not to go and when? I'm just a bit fearful after recent reports. Thanks in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 04:04 AM

912 posts, read 2,102,397 times
The mugging spree is a result of people like you and your roommates,moving to an area you don't belong. Targets. But if you like to live dangerously why not

Old 08-29-2013, 05:05 AM

340 posts, read 1,186,831 times
Stay out the hood hipster.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,873 times
SO... clearly, two people who don't live in Clinton Hill offering advice. Thanks guys.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,334,734 times
Crime is not new to Clinton Hill. I'm sure that it is safer now then it has been for a long time. I don't live there, but I am there often (most recently this morning) and never once felt threatened. It all depends on your point of view. It is always a good idea to carry some cash to give the muggers.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 AM

756 posts, read 2,281,576 times
I don't think there are substantially more muggings/robberies in this area than any others in Brooklyn, honestly. A good friend of mine lives on Franklin between Willoughby and Dekalb (and has for several years) and if anything, the area's gotten safer. There are housing projects along Lafayette right there, but I agree with G-Dale that it's the safest it's ever been over there.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,081,394 times
This is the biggest problem with gentrification is with crime. Homicides are down but robbery and burglary are still up especially in hip, trendy nabes.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,334,734 times
Having more to steal is not necessarily a bad thing, I think.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM

756 posts, read 2,281,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is the biggest problem with gentrification is with crime. Homicides are down but robbery and burglary are still up especially in hip, trendy nabes.
So would you rather have homicides? I feel like that's what you're implying.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 AM

273 posts, read 673,640 times
Simply put compared to 10 years ago the areas of Clinton Hill from DeKalb down toward Navy Yard and approachiong the southern edge of Williamsburg/Wallabout area have improved greatly.

As for the rise in robberies and muggings, look at those carefully. Often with areas that improve in that hosuing stock is fixed up and more commerical options are offered, the later newcomers, and espeically with this generation, love to be plugged into their IPods and text on the phone - a wonderful target for those seeking to get some electronics to steal and sell for cash. Problems like this have occurred in gentrifying neighborhoods of Queens and Brooklyn for the past few years. Take one of the best pieces of advice my father gave me back in the 80's when Walkman's were the rage (yes I date myself), don't be plugged into your earphones all the time, you lose touch of your surroundings and it isn't good for your hearing. That advice still applies today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: