Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,338 times

Advertisements

EXCLUSIVE: 13 Parks Department workers get $165,000 settlement after being transferred out of Battery Park City in favor of lighter-skinned workers - NY Daily News

Headline underneath title:

"The Public Enforcement Patrol officers filed their suit after being transferred out of the area in March 2011 — which came months after escalating tensions between the mostly minority agents and some residents — and were replaced with white and light-skinned staffers. The workers also complained of racist graffiti in Battery Park City that was directed at them."

The workers filed a discrimination suit after the March 2011 transfers — which came after months of escalating tensions between the mostly minority agents and some residents of the ritzy enclave.
Swastikas and graffiti calling the Public Enforcement Patrol officers “thugs,” “pigs” and “n-----s” started popping up on benches and walls, according to the suit filed by 13 workers.

“They’re okay with us ticketing teenagers on a bench for drinking in a park, but not when it’s their wine and cheese party on the grass,” he said."

Same thing happened in Prospect Park and Cooper Park... Breaking rules is only illegal when it's not them...

A couple more interesting points taken from the article...

One black worker, George Parker, 62, will get a payment of $14,000 because a white resident went after him in a fury after another park worker questioned why his dog was off-leash.

“I’ve been around a bit in my time, even Birmingham, Ala., and I’ve not seen much that was as bad as Battery Park City,” said Parker. “I got a lot of ‘I pay your salary’ and ‘You work for me’ when I tried to enforce the rules.”
PEP worker Keshun Anderson, 40, said she was once called a “f---ing n-----” by the white resident who fought with Parker

“The lawsuit alleged that the outrageous and despicable comments made towards the minority officers (and) the hostile work environment ... have gone unchecked,” said Cronin.
City officials declined to comment.

Read more: EXCLUSIVE: 13 Parks Department workers get $165,000 settlement after being transferred out of Battery Park City in favor of lighter-skinned workers - NY Daily News

I've been saying it for a few years now that racial tension has skyrocketed with the recent influx of so many pampered sheltered transplants who come from backward areas across this country who preach acceptance and diversity when it comes to their invading certain areas but demonstrate ridiculous hipocrisy in these same neighborhoods once they (the minority) become the majority...

But what do I know... Ultimately, I'm just a hater...

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-28-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
That isn't a surprise, and more about class than race. These people will say the same things to the asians and whites as well: How dare you question me? The rules don't apply to me. Who do you think you are? You work for me! And they too will be met with all sorts of racial tirades...blah blah blah.

Race is just the easiest verbal attack, but it will happen to anyone and everyone who dares to question certain people. And since it is about class, these same verbal assaults can be heard from people of color towards other people of color also.

None of this is new, or something unique to 2013..this article could have been written (and probably was) 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago (Probably not prior because people of color weren't allowed to have these jobs).

But to answer your final comment, what you know is probably a fair amount, but your conclusions are completely wrong and based on your own biases and preconceived notions. People of color are infamous for this sort of behavior against their own kind.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That isn't a surprise, and more about class than race. These people will say the same things to the asians and whites as well: How dare you question me? The rules don't apply to me. Who do you think you are? You work for me! And they too will be met with all sorts of racial tirades...blah blah blah.

Race is just the easiest verbal attack, but it will happen to anyone and everyone who dares to question certain people. And since it is about class, these same verbal assaults can be heard from people of color towards other people of color also.

None of this is new, or something unique to 2013..this article could have been written (and probably was) 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago (Probably not prior because people of color weren't allowed to have these jobs).

But to answer your final comment, what you know is probably a fair amount, but your conclusions are completely wrong and based on your own biases and preconceived notions. People of color are infamous for this sort of behavior against their own kind.
I would change the first part of that statement to numerous first hand and second hand experiences when it was completely unwarranted... I do agree with the second part of your statement however that has no effect on the specific situation at hand...

You and others on this cite may not believe this but I actually give everyone no matter where they come from or how they appear a chance... I am someone who enjoys having different types of people as friends and while I'd be the first to tell you that what we label as hipsters aren't always tops on my list mainly due to an air of superiority that many of these as well as yuppies and other transplants have...that doesn't mean I don't associate with those who fit the typical mold but don't have the arrogance and air to go with it... I've met a few dudes near the Jefferson scene that are real down to earth and don't just isolate themselves with their specific crowd but mix it up... I don't even have a problem with those that simply move here out of need but tend to stay with their own crowd as long as they don't have these preconceived notions about what a typical New Yorker or Black or hispanic person is supposed to be...

However, that's not the case many times, and you can even ask the people that associate with these groups but who recognize the reality and they'll tell you the same thing... Ask people like Harlem Resident or Jad2k about the Williamsburg or in certain sections new Harlem crowd and see what they tell you... It has nothing to do with biases or preconceived notions because the reality is, the world wouldn't have these stereotypes without reason... As for myself, I can definitely attest to the fact that on more than a few occasions, I've seen first hand the examples laid out in that article...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 AM

I don't disagree with any of the above statement anon. If you believe stereotypes exist for a reason, well then you accept the ones about you and your kind also as relevant and ringing true. Right?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree with any of the above statement anon. If you believe stereotypes exist for a reason, well then you accept the ones about you and your kind also as relevant and ringing true. Right?
I accept it for what it is but don't judge individuals based on that stereotype... I judge them for what they do separately... That doesn't mean I'm going to put the blinders on for my race but view others with a critical eye...

Case in point, Black and PR folks in this city have the rep of being lazy or being moochers off the government... Is that the case of all or even the majority? Of course not, but at the same time, who dominates the NYCHA in this city... We receive stereotypes for a reason, people don't just make them up... Is it fair or right? Probably not, but it doesn't mean people are wrong in assuming a solid number of them don't fulfill those stereotypes... You wanna remove those labels all you can do is work on yourself and prove it wrong as an individual and hopefully others will eventually follow suit...

Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM

Your response is not a surprise....kinda what I expected based on your prior posts. It is sad when people of color are the ones promoting stereotypes...is this where we are in our society now? We have made a total about face and are now heading back to 1950.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
Amazing...People of Color might be prejudiced. I thought only People of No Color had that distinction.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Your response is not a surprise....kinda what I expected based on your prior posts. It is sad when people of color are the ones promoting stereotypes...is this where we are in our society now? We have made a total about face and are now heading back to 1950.
No the problem is, you make your own stereotypes day in and day out about the black and puerto rican of the bronx but claim acceptance on a different thread daily as well... You know full well stereotypes exist for a reason and you use them (ineffectively I might add) to buffer your points on certain threads, but on this one you once again deviate from your stance because it doesn't fit your current position...

However since I sense another long list of repetitive responses about to come from you, I will just concede on this one and say you win...

Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Amazing...People of Color might be prejudiced. I thought only People of No Color had that distinction.
No people of color actually get it from all walks of life especially their own kind... In this specific case it was relevant because these types of situations only began to really surface again recently where at one point we had a brief period of decent race relations it seems as if we are now going backwards...

Old 03-28-2013, 12:29 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
No people of color actually get it from all walks of life especially their own kind... In this specific case it was relevant because these types of situations only began to really surface again recently where at one point we had a brief period of decent race relations it seems as if we are now going backwards...
I'd be interested in WHY you think this?

What is your reference? What is your evidence of recent improvement? What is your evidence of retardation?

I believe I disagree with the general premise, regarding improved race relations, as well as any retardation.

One thing, which can be gleaned from the Battery Park City instance, is racial prejudice, which I agree, has much to do with 'class prejudice' is alive and well, and dully ensconced in the Millenial mindset!

I also, think, though you all don't want to here it, that what transpired is a direct outgrowth of "Transplantation". Transplants imposing their outsider mindset, rather than assimilating to the NYC mold.

Rather, Transplants seek to impose their vision upon what exists, legitimizing themselves and their values, while accepting ZERO responsibility. None!

Is "fair" (from the NYC sense) a part of the millenial suburban/exurban mindset? I think not. In many ways driven home to the youtful mindset, such places are inherently "unfair"; and, those not a part of that world 'unequal'?

Can these people see in anything other than stereotypes? NYC, itself, being, in their minds, a HUGE stereotyp.

Were the Transplants really racially angry? Or, were they simply pissed that those not a part of their stereotyped NYC fantasy mentality, were screwing with the fantasy, wine and cheese on the lawn facing the Hudson. (Inner Transplant mind: "My have we evolved from the desert wasteland of Transplantland.")

Their home environments, their college environments, their work environment, as well as their NYC environment. Despite all this idiotic talk of "diversity", what is there experience? Here in NYC; thse people are NOT assimilating, they are not intergrating, they do NOT live diverse lives! It is a lie!

To the contrary, they, the Transplant, is succeeding in Transplanting the suburban/exurban into NYC!

Such is a horrible thing, and will be frought with more of that which occurred in the OP's article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City