Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 04:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
True but then you are an educated person. You know that 1+1=2. So if the cops target you for racist reasons then you are MORE likely to be caught than another kid who is white and who has drugs on him. The cops view the black kid as the menace, and the white kid as some one who needs drug counseling.

My problem how ever is when the black kid, who is trying, gets treated as a stereotype. Not only pressured by the negative elements, but also from the authorities.
You do not have to educated to know 1+1=2. Again, unless you like being beat up by cops, thrown in jail, etc., do not do things that are illegal, period.

And at least some of this targetting of black kids occur when real estate interest decide to upscale an area and get rid of riff raff. Its no secret at all. Nor is discrimination.

So if you know the cops are out to get young black men, and you're a young black man, you'd be stupid to carry weed around. Some of this is just people's on stupidity catching up to them, and people need to take responsibility for their own actions. Or keep blaming people and get locked up. Whatever. In the end, who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Areas of Hamilton Heights, especially Convent.
^^What he said. We actually agree on somethin........I would add Riverside to that also. Morningside Heights aint all that bad either.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
^^What he said. We actually agree on somethin........I would add Riverside to that also. Morningside Heights aint all that bad either.
True, but I consider Hamilton Heights to be more traditionally black - which was the question posed.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:49 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,729 times
I stick to my original statement that they're are far more working/middle class (NONE considered "dangerous" or "crime-ridden") prominently black neighborhoods in NYC than they're poor/poverty-stricken neighborhoods and that's a fact.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The "bangers" and "thugs" around here are the real deal. Nothing middle class about it.
The middle class kids go to private schools or got tested into one of the better schools.
Most of the middle classed kids I knew of attended public schools, as did I. Our school was good, so there was no reason to send someone to private school though there were some who attended Catholic schools. And people tested into better schools? I guess I wouldn't know about that. Of course there are real bangers and thugs, but many of these people who are committing crimes in higher income minority majority places are wannabes. They do not have true gang affiliations and otherwise don't know of true poverty.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
I stick to my original statement that they're are far more working/middle class (NONE considered "dangerous" or "crime-ridden") prominently black neighborhoods in NYC than they're poor/poverty-stricken neighborhoods and that's a fact.
Agreed!

Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Definitely agree. I lived in Wakefield (238th/Nereid) and never felt unsafe. On the contrary, I was surrounded by a lot of hardworking people.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Definitely agree. I lived in Wakefield (238th/Nereid) and never felt unsafe. On the contrary, I was surrounded by a lot of hardworking people.

Why leave for Texas? How's 241th st and WP doing? That's a short 3 blocks from where you lived?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Why leave for Texas? How's 241th st and WP doing? That's a short 3 blocks from where you lived?
1. Marriage is the main reason. Met and married a Texan and started a new life.

2. I didn't live on WPR, and three blocks away can make all the difference in this city. 241st is right on the border of Mt Vernon, so it doesn't surprise me about its rep. The block I lived on however was largely occupied by single and two family homes and I never recall any cop activity. I often worked overtime and never felt unsafe walking from the train. I would never live in an area where I felt unsafe. I nearly purchased a home in Wakefield 15 years ago but decided, as a single woman, that I didn't want the responsibilities of a SF home. Too bad I didn't buy it...I could have sold it for 400k.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
1. Marriage is the main reason. Met and married a Texan and started a new life.

2. I didn't live on WPR, and three blocks away can make all the difference in this city. 241st is right on the border of Mt Vernon, so it doesn't surprise me about its rep. The block I lived on however was largely occupied by single and two family homes and I never recall any cop activity. I often worked overtime and never felt unsafe walking from the train. I would never live in an area where I felt unsafe. I nearly purchased a home in Wakefield 15 years ago but decided, as a single woman, that I didn't want the responsibilities of a SF home. Too bad I didn't buy it...I could have sold it for 400k.
I understand you didn't live on White Plains Rd. You lived on 238th st? I totally know the area. The wakefield area is a tough area. It's a open secret that drugs are sold all along White Plains Rd. 241th st being a real hot spot for overall crime. I do like Peppinos on 241th st. In terms of your house being worth 400k? 90% sure it's the #1 area in the Bronx for homes under water and foreclosures. You may of dodged a bullet by not buying. BTW the decline of that overall area really crushed the 2 Catholic HS's in that area. Mount and Spellman. Kids were getting mugged or attacked on a daily basis. Both schools were slow to react and by the time they purchased the yellow school buses as a private charter the damage was done. BTW on 238th street they are housing or about to begin housing for a mens homeless shelter. 300-500 men. Consider yourself lucky not to have purchased a home there.

Last edited by Norwood Boy; 04-12-2013 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City