Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,726 times

Advertisements

Italian Americans seem to be associated with the New York accent. I am Italian American and ave a New York accent. Based on what everyone says, I have a brooklyn accent. I'm from jersey city and have an equal amount of family in both north east jersey and the 5 boroughs of NYC and Long Island. But everyone on my jersey side has brooklyn or bronx accents. Everyone in my immediate jersey family has brooklyn accents. Whether I'm in brooklyn, jersey or Florida people always ask me what part of brooklyn I'm from. My cousins gets the same thing except he has a bronx accent and everyone thinks he's felt the bronx when he's from Hoboken. Italian Americans in north east jersey, New York City, Long Island and just that general area are the same in terms of accent, slang, culture, mannerisms, style etc. Same with African Americans. Well that's the way it was when I was growing up. Times change and I used to spend the same amount of time in jersey and New York but I'm in Florida an dont make it up there nearly as much anymore. Once maybe twice a year I go up there. But it seems that Italian Americans everywhere get associated with the New York accent even if they don't have the accent and aren't from the New York City/north east jersey/long island etc. area. For instance, my nephew who grew up in Florida and doesn't have a New York accent, went for a job interview and the guy said "I was surprised you didn't have a New York accent after seeing your last name".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM

*Everyone thinks he's FROM the Bronx

Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
My cousins gets the same thing except he has a bronx accent
Explain the difference between a Bronx accent and a Brooklyn accent.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-31-2013, 08:12 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
I know an Italian lady who grew up in Greenville, Jersey City. She has the heaviest "New York accent" I ever heard. And she's been living here in the DC area for more than forty years. I think the Italians invented the New York accent.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Bronx is somewhat more of a deeper tougher accent. Thats the way I interpret it at least.There really isnt a big difference in a brooklyn and a bronx accent. Just small little differences. Its all just New York accent though.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I know an Italian lady who grew up in Greenville, Jersey City. She has the heaviest "New York accent" I ever heard. And she's been living here in the DC area for more than forty years. I think the Italians invented the New York accent.
I think you're right about that one now that you mention it. Good observation r small

Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
man, you must miss new york.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

There's a difference in accents from each of the boros! Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens. They all have a different accent. I'm not sure about SI since I've never been to SI and don't know anyone from there (and the "Mob Wives" don't count!! LOL!)

Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Perhaps you should go into linguistics. I've read that accents in general are in decline and may be almost entirely gone one day in the United States.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
The great Mel Blanc, who did all the Warner Bros. cartoon voices, said Bugs Bunny's accent was a mixture of Bronx and Brooklyn. Too bad Mel's no longer around to explain the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City