Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 51,223 times

Advertisements

We are looking to purchase a co-op? I am surprised to see how low cost it is in Jackson Heights. What's the catch? Is Jackson Heights terribly unsafe? Would it be like living in East New York? I'm looking for a quiet, sunny, tree lined block. I do not want to see or hear people hanging out on the curb at all hours of the night. Any insight into the quality of life would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,674 times
Ive heard its a Central American hellhole.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:18 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,924 times
I personally like Jackson Heights. I haven't lived there but there are restaurants I frequent there and also use that as a hub to transfer to buses/trains frequently. I do think that there are some pockets where there is more crime, so I would get to know the area better before you committed. Overall I find it to be a busy, diverse, convenient location.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:16 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I think it really depends on what part of Jackson Heights you are talking about (according to a friend of mine who lives there).

Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,168 times
No it's full of momos and bandejas

Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvahome View Post
We are looking to purchase a co-op? I am surprised to see how low cost it is in Jackson Heights. What's the catch? Is Jackson Heights terribly unsafe? Would it be like living in East New York? I'm looking for a quiet, sunny, tree lined block. I do not want to see or hear people hanging out on the curb at all hours of the night. Any insight into the quality of life would be appreciated. Thanks.
The center of Jackson Heights, which roughly corresponds with the historic district, is in general nice and safe and quiet. If you really want quiet, you should look for a garden-facing unit instead of one that faces the street so you don't hear the traffic noise. The map of the district is here Jackson Heights Historic District Map - JACKSON HEIGHTS GARDENS

There are parts I would most likely choose to avoid for a place to live, such as 73rd and 74th Streets (too congested and dirty), any side street that a bus route is on (too much honking when people are double parked and the bus can't get by) and anything that is very close to Roosevelt Ave (too much vice and spillover from bars). I personally also don't like to live near schools or playgrounds.

If you are seeing coop apartments that are very cheap (like under $200K for an 800 square foot one bedroom), then yes, something is probably less desirable about them. Every coop is its own entity and therefore a coop can be in bad financial health and you wouldn't want to buy into it. Some coops in the neighborhood are also cheap because they are on leased land, maintenance is very high, or because reserve fund low, or finally that their coop board is so restrictive it makes it very hard to sell.

IMO, some of the better buildings are represented by Jackson Heights Queens Coop Listings, this realtor from Douglas Elliman New York Real Estate Agent Jon Fisher | Douglas Elliman and SOME of the ones here VLADIMIR JACKSON HEIGHTS REAL ESTATE COOPS

If you are a parent, check out 78th Play Street Jackson Heights Embraces 78th Street Play Street and Makes It Permanent | Streetsblog New York City to see families enjoying the neighborhood.

I am not sure why there is so much hate on this board for Jackson Heights. I think the hate is coming from people who only know of the three busiest streets in Jackson Heights (74th, 82nd, and Roosevelt) and have never been to the historic district. Also there are some loud people on this board who hate immigrants, and Jackson Heights has a high percentage of immigrants.

Certainly if you can afford a Manhattan address or brownstone Brooklyn, you should look there first because you will have more amenities and more beautiful surroundings. But IMO Jackson Heights is safer than a lot of neighborhoods where housing prices are equivalent, the people are generally quiet and hard working, and there are some beautiful pre-war buildings with private gardens.

Maybe you should plan a visit by going to the garden tours in June Celebrate Historic Jackson Heights 2013 | Jackson Heights Beautification Group or visiting the Greenmarket on a Sunday at Travers Park.

Last edited by Henna; 04-17-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,168 times
Vice on Roosevelt Avenue? It's 2013 now, not 2000. Roosevelt avenue is squeaky clean. It just has vibrant nightlife. Lots of great food too.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,688,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The center of Jackson Heights, which roughly corresponds with the historic district, is in general nice and safe and quiet. If you really want quiet, you should look for a garden-facing unit instead of one that faces the street so you don't hear the traffic noise. The map of the district is here Jackson Heights Historic District Map - JACKSON HEIGHTS GARDENS

There are parts I would most likely choose to avoid for a place to live, such as 73rd and 74th Streets (too congested and dirty), any side street that a bus route is on (too much honking when people are double parked and the bus can't get by) and anything that is very close to Roosevelt Ave (too much vice and spillover from bars). I personally also don't like to live near schools or playgrounds.

If you are seeing coop apartments that are very cheap (like under $200K for an 800 square foot one bedroom), then yes, something is probably less desirable about them. Every coop is its own entity and therefore a coop can be in bad financial health and you wouldn't want to buy into it. Some coops in the neighborhood are also cheap because they are on leased land, maintenance is very high, or because reserve fund low, or finally that their coop board is so restrictive it makes it very hard to sell.

IMO, some of the better buildings are represented by Jackson Heights Queens Coop Listings, this realtor from Douglas Elliman New York Real Estate Agent Jon Fisher | Douglas Elliman and SOME of the ones here VLADIMIR JACKSON HEIGHTS REAL ESTATE COOPS

If you are a parent, check out 78th Play Street Jackson Heights Embraces 78th Street Play Street and Makes It Permanent | Streetsblog New York City to see families enjoying the neighborhood.

I am not sure why there is so much hate on this board for Jackson Heights. I think the hate is coming from people who only know of the three busiest streets in Jackson Heights (74th, 82nd, and Roosevelt) and have never been to the historic district. Also there are some loud people on this board who hate immigrants, and Jackson Heights has a high percentage of immigrants.

Certainly if you can afford a Manhattan address or brownstone Brooklyn, you should look there first because you will have more amenities and more beautiful surroundings. But IMO Jackson Heights is safer than a lot of neighborhoods where housing prices are equivalent, the people are generally quiet and hard working, and there are some beautiful pre-war buildings with private gardens.

Maybe you should plan a visit by going to the garden tours in June Celebrate Historic Jackson Heights 2013 | Jackson Heights Beautification Group or visiting the Greenmarket on a Sunday at Travers Park.

In your opinion what's the nicest Coop? Hawthorne? greystones? I actually helped a buddy move from historic area around 96ish? We all went to a bar called Buds. is it still there?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
In your opinion what's the nicest Coop? Hawthorne? greystones? I actually helped a buddy move from historic area around 96ish? We all went to a bar called Buds. is it still there?
Not sure which is the nicest since I haven't been inside many of them, but I know these are considered a few of the top:

The Chateau Corcoran, 34-30 81st Street, Apt. 41, Jackson Heights Real Estate, Queens For Sale, Homes, Jackson Heights Co-op, Barbara Lombardo
Laburnum Court FSBO: Jackson Heights Two Bedroom 3716 80th Street Apt 52, 4D | Apartment Therapy
The Towers 3351 80th St APT 2, Jackson Heights, NY 11372 - Zillow
Jackson Heights Queens Coop Listings
Hawthorne Court Jackson Heights Queens Coop Listings

I also like Linden Court because of the amazing sunrooms but it's a walkup so I wouldn't want to live there. Corcoran, 37-60 85th Street, Apt. 42, Jackson Heights Real Estate, Queens For Sale, Homes, Jackson Heights Co-op, Barbara Lombardo, Rhoda Dunn

I don't know of anyplace called Buds but doesn't mean it's not there somewhere. There is a new BBQ joint called Alchemy inside Legends bar, run by a well-known NY-area BBQ chef, at least that's what I've read. Haven't tried it yet.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,688,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Not sure which is the nicest since I haven't been inside many of them, but I know these are considered a few of the top:

The Chateau Corcoran, 34-30 81st Street, Apt. 41, Jackson Heights Real Estate, Queens For Sale, Homes, Jackson Heights Co-op, Barbara Lombardo
Laburnum Court FSBO: Jackson Heights Two Bedroom 3716 80th Street Apt 52, 4D | Apartment Therapy
The Towers 3351 80th St APT 2, Jackson Heights, NY 11372 - Zillow
Jackson Heights Queens Coop Listings
Hawthorne Court Jackson Heights Queens Coop Listings

I also like Linden Court because of the amazing sunrooms but it's a walkup so I wouldn't want to live there. Corcoran, 37-60 85th Street, Apt. 42, Jackson Heights Real Estate, Queens For Sale, Homes, Jackson Heights Co-op, Barbara Lombardo, Rhoda Dunn

I don't know of anyplace called Buds but doesn't mean it's not there somewhere. There is a new BBQ joint called Alchemy inside Legends bar, run by a well-known NY-area BBQ chef, at least that's what I've read. Haven't tried it yet.

Those buildings in another area would be worth triple. Thanks for the sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City