Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Starrett City is a complex that's now has a fading native white population and an increasing number of section 8 Black and Hispanic folk... Still an okay area but QOL has gone down around there from when we used to live not too far off. I doubt the folks people are talking about on this thread are the ones heading to SC.
I didn't mention anything about the number of white people signifying anything about the quality of life. I'm just saying that they're there.

When I took the bus that goes to Starrett City, there were about 30 people on the bus, and about 3 of them were white. They weren't transplant-types or anything like that (nor am I saying that the Starrett City is full of white people), but I'm just saying that not every white person who gets off there is a teacher or cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 07:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
What the yuppy or hipster need to understand is that Brownsville and East New York are on another level of danger, speaking of NYC or U.S urban standards. It's not Bushwick or Bed stuy which can be dangerous too and are to the west of these 2 neighborhoods. In BV and ENY you'll be living amongst with some of the worst goons in the entire city. It can also be extremely gloomy at night.
Excluding cypress hills and city line, in case you are including them in your definition of ENY.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:47 PM

161 posts, read 699,774 times
I had a friend of mine (very, very, very artsy) move to Jamaica in 2007 because it was cheap and "up and coming". From everything I've heard, Jamaica is not very "hip" in the hipster sense of the word.

There was so much talk before the 2008 recession occurred about the inevitable South Bronx and Grand Concourse gentrification. I haven't heard too much about those areas since then.

There are articles from the late 90s and early 2000s about Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights about the rising housing costs and I would argue that those (very large) neighborhoods are just beginning to see substantial gentrification near those neighborhoods' edges.

Just because a few hipsters show up doesn't mean inevitable gentrification. Even if ENW/Brownsville become the "next" neighborhoods, I think it's fairly safe to say we're another 10-15 years from that really happening. A lot can happen in the next 10-15 years, but trends can also reverse, the bubble could burst and we could see a shift back toward the city, Queens or the Bronx could become more desirable, or Brownsville could become Bushwick.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Excluding cypress hills and city line, in case you are including them in your definition of ENY.

I'm from Cypress Hills now and I lived in City Line when I was younger. I lived on Forebell which is borough borderline block in City Line. The housing stock in these 2 areas are the most interesting in eastern Brooklyn. Basically everything north of the Conduit and Atlantic Ave. A lot of people consider these 2 areas ENY while others will protest against that.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well in my instance, the gentry got off at Broadway Junction on the J train. Who knows what their final destination was - but I know when I was a kid the gentry did not use that stop. Lol.
How do you know this was gentrification? I know a couple of gay whites who live in the area, but they are on WELFARE programs.....

I don't think a working white person or hipster would move into this area. Too dangerous.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Probably folks that've been duped by real estate agents... It's one thing to see a stray hipster leaving a shady stop... It's when you see them consistently coming in and out that you know the area is slowly changing... When I take A and C, the hipster sightings usually end at Nostrand ave... Utica, Throop or Ralph, not so much...
Well, in those bad areas I have met whites who live there. But these were drug addict whites living in welfare housing, halfway houses, and the like. The hipsters get off at Nostrand, Throop (yes, I've seen them that far) and even Utica.

A few ghetto whites (yes, whites can be poor and on welfare too) moving into a slum changes nothing!

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 11-11-2013 at 06:58 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How do you know this was gentrification? I know a couple of gay whites who live in the area, but they are on WELFARE programs.....

I don't think a working white person or hipster would move into this area. Too dangerous.
You're right...I should have asked them if they were on welfare.

There are hipsters moving into the area. I ride the A train every day and they're going further east. 10 years ago the cut off was Nostrand. Now its going past Utica. We all know what a hipster looks like. A few months ago, I saw a couple of them get off on Rockaway Avenue. Dyed hair and everything. Hell, there are even some hipsters are trying to apply for them, not cut from the same cloth as your crowd of scammers you happen to know.

It Happened to Me: I Was Rejected From Food Stamps | xoJane

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-11-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
What the yuppy or hipster need to understand is that Brownsville and East New York are on another level of danger, speaking of NYC or U.S urban standards. It's not Bushwick or Bed stuy which can be dangerous too and are to the west of these 2 neighborhoods. In BV and ENY you'll be living amongst with some of the worst goons in the entire city. It can also be extremely gloomy at night. Even people who happen to be Black or Latino (which these 2 neighborhoods are almost entirely composed of in some areas) who happen to have friends or family in these areas say they do not want or like to venture into these 2 neighborhoods.

Also, you have less fortunate Nyers who are being pushed out of gentrified neighborhoods moving into these areas do to distance and price. That includes bad elements from Bed Stuy, Crown Heights and Bushwick moving into the area too.
So with the bad elements from BedStuy, Crown Heights, Bushwick and even the Rockaways, coming to Brownsville and East New York, those areas in some ways are getting even WORSE!!!

Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

It's called experience such as commuting through a neighborhood every single day for an extended period of time. And even if new people do not necessarily live there, it is a start. At least more people are willing to travel through the area adding to its daily diversity makeup, which face it, the area could use. Whether it's people taking the subway to connect to the airtrain, or people driving to go shop at target or babies r us, or even the random hipster that may have fell asleep on the train, many of these people were not venturing to or through ENY prior to certain investments.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're right...I should have asked them if they were on welfare.

There are hipsters moving into the area. I ride the A train every day and they're going further east. 10 years ago the cut off was Nostrand. Now its going past Utica. We all know what a hipster looks like. A few months ago, I saw a couple of them get off on Rockaway Avenue. Dyed hair and everything. Hell, there are even some hipsters are trying to apply for them, not cut from the same cloth as your crowd of scammers you happen to know.

It Happened to Me: I Was Rejected From Food Stamps | xoJane
I actually KNOW both legitimate hipsters and scammers.

You do have whites on welfare that dye their hair, mind you. You even have alleged white artists on welfare. Any white person moving into Brownsville is either on welfare or minimum wage. No white person with money is moving that far out, when they can rent a room in a nicer part of Brooklyn (the Rockaways are different, that's beachfront area).

When I lived in Wakefield, btw, I sometimes saw white people get off the train. Big deal, Wakefield is decades away from gentrification. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of nice homes in the area, but the apartment buildings are ****ty as ever and there is no great influx of whites.

Back to Brownsville, it is is absolutely no danger of becoming the next Williamsburg. Its not even in danger of becoming the next Bedstuy (Bedstuy had a lot of nice brownstones and Western Bedstuy didn't have too many projects, making it a lot more desirable). Plus Bedstuy bordered Williamsburg and isn't too far from Manhattan (ditto Bushwick).

Brownsville has too many negatives, including the highest crime rate in the city (along with the South Bronx).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City