Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 AM

20 posts, read 22,505 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my boyfriend from San Francisco to New York, and I am trying to find a reasonably priced and convenient place to live. I will work downtown (Water & John), and I would like to have a commute no longer than 45 minutes (preferably less). The problem is, I will only be making $75k, and my boyfriend will be starting school so we will have to live on just my salary for the time being. My budget is $1800-1850, for a 1 bedroom apt. Manhattan/Brooklyn seem out of the question due to cost, so I have been looking at Jersey City and Forest Hills (Queens). Which of these would be better for a young gay couple? It's not important to have bars or clubs all around us, but I enjoy living in a diverse area and having some restaurants within walking distance. Are there any other areas I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 10:44 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
If you are working downtown Queens would be too far. Brooklyn is expensive. Maybe Jersey or Staten Island. You could take the ferry into downtown each day with ease. Since clubs and bars do not matter you can live almost anywhere. Ft George in SI and Jersey City are both cool neighborhoods. Still be careful as a gay couple though, some people are not so tolerant of PDA's Etc..

Old 05-05-2013, 03:55 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,994 times
there are some suburbs that would be great for you. in nj try the following.

-montclair, essex county: very nice downtown, many stores, easy highway access, 6 train stations with direct nyc service, rent easy in your price range. njt train commute around 35 minutes

-south orange, essex county: has downtown with stores, rentals around 1k/month, 25 minute direct njt train to the city, south orange (and neighboring maplewood) have a very large gay population

-metuchen, middlesex county: has downtown area, rentals in your range, 45 minute train direct to nyc

-westfield, union county: large downtown, near route 22 and gsp, train to newark with transfer to train to nyc

not sure much about metuchen, but s. orange (and its neighbor maplewood) and montclair have many restaurants.

these trains run to penn station at 33rd street or hoboken, nj. to get downtown, take the 1, 2, or 3, or A, C, or E from penn and the path subway from newark.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeley1945 View Post
I am moving with my boyfriend from San Francisco to New York, and I am trying to find a reasonably priced and convenient place to live. I will work downtown (Water & John), and I would like to have a commute no longer than 45 minutes (preferably less). The problem is, I will only be making $75k, and my boyfriend will be starting school so we will have to live on just my salary for the time being. My budget is $1800-1850, for a 1 bedroom apt. Manhattan/Brooklyn seem out of the question due to cost, so I have been looking at Jersey City and Forest Hills (Queens). Which of these would be better for a young gay couple? It's not important to have bars or clubs all around us, but I enjoy living in a diverse area and having some restaurants within walking distance. Are there any other areas I should consider?
People commute to Wall Street from Broadway in the 140s, and from around here.
You might find something in your price range.
I think the commute is around 30 minutes, A train or 1 train, depending where you are.
For example:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/3727787122.html
Don't know where this is, exactly - http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/3786281866.html
There are places at 1 Convent Avenue, could be out of your price range, however. In addition, they did have bedbug issues so beware.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Jackson Heights has a relatively large gay population and the City Council Member for the district is openly gay (Daniel Dromm). The subway commute would be just a bit shorter than from Forest Hills, as it's a few stops closer to Manhattan on the same subway lines (E/F/R/M).

You should be able to get a good-sized renovated pre-war one bedroom for $1800.
Here are a few articles about the neighborhood:

Jackson Heights: A Place Where Diversity Extends to Sexuality
Jackson Heights: A Migrants’ Enclave Attracts a New Breed

P.S. I think many of the gay people in Jackson Heights are coupled up and tend to be slightly older, like 30s and 40s and up. It's not necessarily the best neighborhood for young people, but doesn't mean there aren't young people around.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Jackson Heights has a relatively large gay population and the City Council Member for the district is openly gay (Daniel Dromm). The subway commute would be just a bit shorter than from Forest Hills, as it's a few stops closer to Manhattan on the same subway lines (E/F/R/M).

P.S. I think many of the gay people in Jackson Heights are coupled up and tend to be slightly older, like 30s and 40s and up. It's not necessarily the best neighborhood for young people, but doesn't mean there aren't young people around.
I would actually choose Jackson Heights over Broadway in the 140s, even if the commute is shorter.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
I live in Ridgewood Queens and work in lower Manhattan. I can get to work within 45 minutes. One bedrooms go for much less than $1800 around here.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
Come to the Bronx.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
If you are working downtown Queens would be too far.
Queens is not too far from downtown Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

I too would suggest Jackson Heights as well as Astoria and even perhaps Forest Hills.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
$1,800 for a 1br in Jackson heights is INSANE!

OP, look into Jersey, proabably shorter commute and more bang for your buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City