Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:53 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times

Advertisements

Lol at people saying NY'ers aren't rude, we just don't have time to say thank you or please. Um - yes, that is the definition of rude. People in NY are generally ruder than any other place in the country. At any given time, there's ten million people in the city, so of course there are exceptions.

I think it generally stems from every thing in this city comes with stress - just getting from point a to b. Also, we are packed in like rats and see so many people, it somewhat desensitizes you. There was a dead homeless guy at 12:30pm on the corner of William and Wall Street about two weeks ago - a doorman of one of the buildings called the cops, but most people couldn't be bothered or were even snapping pictures.

There are so many people, and so diverse that the majority of people you just don't have a single thing in common with. For 99% of the history of mankind! people lived amongst people of similar culture, values, goals, etc. Western civilization is really a test case in whether extreme multiculturalism truly works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 04:03 PM

372 posts, read 398,470 times
After you live here long enough you just don't have any patience for putting up with other people's crap. Especially when it's the fiftieth time you've heard the same sob story that week. Get to the point so we can get on with our miserable lives already.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:46 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Most New Yorkers are rude, nasty people. Can't really blame them, the city is too stressful.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
At the rate the natives are leaving, dying, forced to leave, being replaced its only a matter of time to the new new yorkers are gonna be ***** punks constantly asking "is it safe".

Old 09-29-2015, 08:14 PM

401 posts, read 552,268 times
NYC people have that generalization. Long Island people tend to be stuck up and spoiled. I can attest to this, I grew up around people who literally had anything they wanted growing up in very wealthy families.

Upstate NYers tend to be a lot more friendlier in my experience. I met quite a few in college and found them to less resonate this New York stereotype as others from Queens/LI.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:25 PM

39 posts, read 107,405 times
I graduated college and moved to NYC recently from Indiana, and surprisingly, I do not find people here any more or less rude, rushed, etc. than back home. I don't see the stereotype either.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:09 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Most New Yorkers are rude, nasty people. Can't really blame them, the city is too stressful.
As a Native New Yorker......I AGREE

Old 12-16-2016, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 914 times
Lol New Yorkers tend to do everything fast and ****, women most of them are rude and think they're on top of the world, most people are selfish, as also seen in basketball where people go one on one and never pass the ball. Plus idk it's just a life not worth living you're always stressed always in a hurry for no reason. Just be happy.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:17 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I don't think the "rude" stereotype is well-deserved. Sure, due to the fast-paced nature of the beast in much of NYC (not true everywhere, of course), you may not hear as many pleasantries as you do in other parts of the country (I actually think that this is where a lot of the stereotype comes from), I've found that most NYers seem to be very nice if you actually do get the chance to talk to them. Whether from giving out directions to providing advice on places to eat, drink, sleep, etc.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:35 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,222,937 times
I never understood this stereotype either. I think people often mistake the fast pace here, and people running around in a rush for rudeness.

Whenever I hear this stereotype I imagine tourists from Kansas or Montana or something somewhere in a busy street in Midtown blocking/slowing the flow of pedestrian traffic and wondering why people are annoyed with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City