Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,744,516 times

Advertisements

driving by on Mosholu Pkwy one side of the pkwy is Norwood the other Bedford Park, when you look either way its not easy to see any difference between the 2, but the giveway is a sign (if you can see it) on an apartment bldg on E Mosholu Pkwy South somewhere between Marion and Perry where it says "Cooperatives". that plus the well- kept appearance of E Mosholu Pkwy S between the Concourse and Webster and the surrounding blocks (the same area in Norwood is OK but not as nice) make it a nicer place than Norwood. Bainbridge, Perry Marion, Decatur going toward bedford Pk Blvd are all nicer blocks than the same streets going toward 204, 205, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:02 PM

113 posts, read 228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
driving by on Mosholu Pkwy one side of the pkwy is Norwood the other Bedford Park, when you look either way its not easy to see any difference between the 2, but the giveway is a sign (if you can see it) on an apartment bldg on E Mosholu Pkwy South somewhere between Marion and Perry where it says "Cooperatives". that plus the well- kept appearance of E Mosholu Pkwy S between the Concourse and Webster and the surrounding blocks (the same area in Norwood is OK but not as nice) make it a nicer place than Norwood. Bainbridge, Perry Marion, Decatur going toward bedford Pk Blvd are all nicer blocks than the same streets going toward 204, 205, etc
I'm giving you REP, That's a perfect way to see the difference between the two .. I'm about to go over to Norwood today and visit a friend of mine .. I'll definitely take notice to what you said .. I rarely go down Mosholu to get to either area .. From where I come from I always take Webster ave to Bedford Park Blvd or Webster ave to 204th .. But I'll walk down The Pkwy today .. so I can see the difference .. lol .. Becuase Both neighborhoods always look the same to me ..

Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,309,198 times
^Alright Mr. Moderator, so tell us then... Especially outsiders like myself, is Bedford Park on the up and up or what? I've read a few articles that seem to conflict... Some say it's in decline and this one says it's a hidden jewel...

Old 05-31-2013, 12:51 PM

Another question about the Bedford Park area ... Has anyone heard anything about what they are planning to do to the Armory over there?? Is it still going to be an Ice skating rink?? If so then that will definitely improve the Bedford Park area in years to come. That will attracted money and new comers .. So I would say Bedford Park has some future potential.

The apartment buildings will keep their current renters but the surrounding houses will be up for grabs if they do something nice with the Armory ..
And If it can bring jobs .. that will definitely be a plus ..

So I can see Bedford Park improving within the next 5 or 10 years .. depending on when they actually decide to do something with it ..

Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM

that area by the armory is Kingsbridge Heights to the west and Fordham Bedford on the east, distinctly different areas from the one between Bedford Pk Blvd and Mosholu Pkwy. not much if anything in the way of parks or green around there. any improvements may impact the Jerome Park area or Fordham Bedford area west of the Concourse but not the Bedford Pk we were discussing--it's too far

Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
that area by the armory is Kingsbridge Heights to the west and Fordham Bedford on the east, distinctly different areas from the one between Bedford Pk Blvd and Mosholu Pkwy. not much if anything in the way of parks or green around there. any improvements may impact the Jerome Park area or Fordham Bedford area west of the Concourse but not the Bedford Pk we were discussing--it's too far
You are right and wrong
jeromes park bronx - Google Maps

The Armory is in Jerome's Park, but is just a short walk south of Bedford Park .. Bedford Park ends at 198th street which is where Jerome's Park begins .. The Armory is on 195th or K-bridge Rd depending on the side you're facing

If you live in Beford Park near 198th street, you an 11 minute walk from the Armory .. which is basically the same neighborhood ..

If you live on Bedford Park Blvd, you would be about a 15 minute walk ..

So what do you mean .. too Far .. If people really want to be near the LARGEST ICE SKAITING rink in New York .. 10 to 15 minute walk is not to Far .. and that's about a 3 minute drive ..
So, There will be improvements in Bedford Park as well

That's IF they do as promised ..

Old 05-31-2013, 01:34 PM

i guess youre right. it will provide more jobs and is a boon to Bedford Park. but when you say improving Bedford Park, if you mean physically, well it's kind of far but it might physically improve the immediate area around the armory which is kind of run down, examples being Jerome Ave, 196th street and the side avenues

Old 05-31-2013, 02:06 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,697,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
^Alright Mr. Moderator, so tell us then... Especially outsiders like myself, is Bedford Park on the up and up or what? I've read a few articles that seem to conflict... Some say it's in decline and this one says it's a hidden jewel...
The article actually is pretty objective as to what's going on. Still have family there. My impression from an x St Philip Neri boy on the Concourse. It's seem to be building by building over there. One minute your in front of nice coop building on E 201th st then maybe not such a nice spot. I think the distance into the City hurts the area in terms of becoming the next and coming area. A lot of good memories growing up there.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:25 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,309,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
The article actually is pretty objective as to what's going on. Still have family there. My impression from an x St Philip Neri boy on the Concourse. It's seem to be building by building over there. One minute your in front of nice coop building on E 201th st then maybe not such a nice spot. I think the distance into the City hurts the area in terms of becoming the next and coming area. A lot of good memories growing up there.
Hmm... So you're of the impression that it isn't what it used to be...

Old 05-31-2013, 02:38 PM

9,252 posts, read 24,122,601 times
Both Bedford Park and Norwood seem vastly improved over what they looked like and felt like in the 60's and 70's, when I used to come to NY and spend summers with my aunt and cousins.Can't imagine they were any better in the 80's and 90's when NYC was bottoming either, although I didn't spend any time in those places during those years after my aunt died in the late 70's.If they somehow had some kind of renaissance in the 80's and 90's, while the whole city was on the skids ,then they might be the only neighborhoods in the whole city to do so.

So,as far as I can tell,things are probably better than they have been in 50 years.

Specifically regarding Bedford Park,I looked at co ops there 5 years ago (on The Grand Concourse,Mosholu Parkway South and side streets) and have some friends who have been living there for 8 or 10 years.The area definitely looks nicer than it looked 5 years ago and my friends tell me that they feel as tough it has improved quite a bit since they have been there.I think it's a great neighborhood.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-31-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City