Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,698,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Norwood, couple of points. First, I get it that you're really down on the ole neighborhood. I went to Neri as well and lived through the racial changes in the neighborhood in the 70's and 80's. But what I don't get is what really changed for you? Is it the Section 8 housing? But doesn't that exist just about all over the city? Back then, we did the same things. Went downtown or up to westchester to clubs and restaurants and shopping. Public schools were probably worse back then. Now, living there again, I see the benefits. I like the Latin vibes and the relatively quick ride downtown. I also see little league and kids playing the ball fields on Wester and in Mosholu Parkway and Bronx Park.

Second, not everyone needs a trendy bar or coffee shop to feel that they have "arrived". I like Fordham Road now. I think it's better now than it was in the 80's. Believe me, I'm gay and I understand trendy and fabulous. Would I like there to be a place like the old Jahn's, sure. But I can wait. I lived in Chelsea for many years and I still spend my weekends on Fire Island. Let me tell you a story. I was happiest when I moved out of Chelsea. I got tired of the party atmosphere and coming out of my building to find kids peeing in the building corners, puking in the streets and uncaring as to how loud they were. I get it that Bedford Park and Norwood have not yet "arrived". But I, unlike you I guess, think that these areas will eventually benefit from the changes that are underway in the city. Will these areas turn into Williamsburg? Probably not, but so what.

I think you said it. You would never have thought that there would be a time when you would take East Harlem or the Yankee Stadium area over Bedford/Norwood. But you would now. Maybe someday you'll take Bedford/Norwood over Riverdale after others have discovered what was right under your nose. BTW, how was the beach? Orchard? Somehow, I don't think so!
Pietrang, Do you live at your address full time or elsewhere part time? Why all the anger? Just pointing out a difference point of view? Your a 100% correct that not everyone need s a fancy coffee shop? Where can I get a regular hero or sandwich????? Is that being too pompous??? Pietrang, I also have kids! Please reread my whole post. Where do I say I need a fancy coffee place? I gave 3 different points of people going into Norwood. You bring up the racial aspect? No that's cool. It's all the restaurants that have disappeared from the area. Ciro's? Greentree? Murrphy and Malones? Epsteins? calabria of 206th? That's a few that I remember off the top of my head. At the end of the day Ideology play's a big part of the discussion. Was I at orchard? No I surf so I went to to the Rockaways? Steve Bells beach who passed on 9/11! Reread my post, Pietrang. Never attacked just pointed out obvious differences between Norwood of now compared to my Youth.
BTW go in a 3 part form the same way I did. Just point out Why a single person should choose Norwood? Why a family should choose Norwood? Why a DINK should choose Norwood? At the end of the day I believe my points are valid. Why not live closer to the city? Why bypass Mott Haven or the Southern part of the Concourse for the same exact amenities being offered in Norwood. Same amount of section 8 in both areas? Same parks? Same schools? There is no difference. IMO

BTW why the snarky comment about what beach I go to? Race again? LOL unreal, How's Connecticut btw Pietrang?

Last edited by Norwood Boy; 06-02-2013 at 01:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Public schools in NYC in most neighborhoods are viewed as lacking and have been for many years. That had not stopped gentrification. What's your point?
What your missing is, When area and I hate the word gentrified they don't INCLUDE kids. Williamsburg and other areas are single whites from other parts of the country? Who's moving into Harlem? families? It's Dinks, Gays, and Single white people who have their own agenda. Not bad people but a very different thinking from a family viewpoint.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:01 AM

At the end of the day pietrang, we're gonna disagree to agree. I'm happy that Norwood has become the "Boy come home story". When middle class people leave an area so does the decent stores. I'm glad Fordham Rd is great for you but does nothing for me.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:44 AM

579 posts, read 948,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
At the end of the day pietrang, we're gonna disagree to agree. I'm happy that Norwood has become the "Boy come home story". When middle class people leave an area so does the decent stores. I'm glad Fordham Rd is great for you but does nothing for me.
No anger intended. I was only trying to be a little sarcastic which obviously came across wrong. I agree to disagree. I just don't see the change in the neighborhood as bad. Were there more upper middle class people living there before? Perhaps. I do see that the area has a lot to offer as a middle class area. And since I don't have kids maybe that's why I see it differently. Anyone else out there with kids want to chime in?

Old 06-02-2013, 04:39 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,645,134 times
Quote:
Anyone else out there with kids want to chime in?
I have 2 kids and I'm very happy with their school. To go more in depth about the school issue, PS 344 is a very good school, unzoned and by application only. Others may send their kids to Catholic schools, and others may seek to send their kids to public schools in neighboring areas. PS 56 and PS 280 in Norwood are decent schools. I imagine the people I know in Norwood with young kids will consider these schools when their children are of age.

Anyway, yes, there are middle class families (with kids) moving to these areas. Probably people who have different priorities, viewpoints or backgrounds from Norwood Boy. More progressive in any event.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
No anger intended. I was only trying to be a little sarcastic which obviously came across wrong. I agree to disagree. I just don't see the change in the neighborhood as bad. Were there more upper middle class people living there before? Perhaps. I do see that the area has a lot to offer as a middle class area. And since I don't have kids maybe that's why I see it differently. Anyone else out there with kids want to chime in?
Pietrang, You do have kids, no? BTW 2 things on orchard beach, No waves and it's the Sound not the ocean. Also the traffic over there on Weekends is brutal. Yes gotta agree to disagree. When i think of a neighborhood to me it should involve more than just having a great apartment to sleep. BTW I never considered Fordham part of the bedford/ Mosholu area.

Yodel why the continuous attacks? Move on already. Progressive? BTW What would you know about the area if you didn't live there when I did? How would you know how the school were in the 70'or 80's or even the 90's? What about what stores were in the area? What restaurants were in the area? What bakeries were in the area? Pietrang was at least a native of the area and recollections of how things were. How would you feel if the Botanical Gardens disappeared? That's how I feel when I see things I grew up with are now all gone. BTW PS 8, PS 56 are not good schools. Havent been in a long time. IS that school still sinking near the Pct.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Ace Frehley of Kiss lived in Bedford Park. 201 street I think
Artie Donovan.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM

16,344 posts, read 8,128,173 times
Quote:
Artie Donovan.
Artie Donovan from the Baltimore Colts? Now there's a blast from the past. What a great character. Only in the Bronx would you get get an Artie Donovan.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Artie Donovan from the Baltimore Colts? Now there's a blast from the past. What a great character. Only in the Bronx would you get get an Artie Donovan.
Also, Bill Polian. Who's Bill Polian? he's the mastermind behind the building the Indy Colt's and drafting Peyton Manning. BTW Polian is a real gentleman. Gives two superbowl tickets every year to his former HS as a fundraiser. BOTH are former St Philip Neri parish boys.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,645,134 times
Quote:
Yodel why the continuous attacks?
Norwood, I'm surprised that my comments were interpreted as an attack. Absolutely weren't intended as such, I just meant that different people value different things and have different opinions and priorities. By assuming that you would not label yourself politically progressive, I made a assumption based on past statements. The people I know who have moved here in the past few years seem more likely to be progressive politically, although from various backgrounds. It may be just a coincidence since New York is majority liberal politically speaking to begin with, but neighborhoods such as Woodlawn would seem to attract a larger percentage of people of conservative political affiliation. This seems to color many peoples perceptions for whatever reason. I just don't picture you as the type of person that these neighborhoods would attract.

Edit - I don't recall commenting about stores that used to be here in the past.

Last edited by yodel; 06-02-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City