Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,703,388 times

Advertisements

They are just north of a private home where the owner has the 10 commandments on these huge boulders. There is a little spot behind the commandments that gives a little history about that spot. Scott Towers out the rear window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,575,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
They are just north of a private home where the owner has the 10 commandments on these huge boulders. There is a little spot behind the commandments that gives a little history about that spot. Scott Towers out the rear window.
Yup, I remember that house.

I wonder if that Catholic School is still on the corner of Bed Park Blvd. (I think it's Bedford Park Blvd.)..I used to catch the D to get to high school and there was this old school nearby. It's been at least 20 years, so my memory is fading some.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM

Mt St Ursula is Bedford Park and Bainbridge? The nuns no longer live there. Also they built some affordable housing right on the campus. Their used to be a school right on the Concourse and Bedford. N/E/C, that's gone and a building was built.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 AM

579 posts, read 949,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yup, I remember that house.

I wonder if that Catholic School is still on the corner of Bed Park Blvd. (I think it's Bedford Park Blvd.)..I used to catch the D to get to high school and there was this old school nearby. It's been at least 20 years, so my memory is fading some.
I think you are referring to the old Bedford Park Academy that was on the corner of Bedford Park Boulevard and the Grand Concourse. It was Grace Lutheran, not Catholic as I recall. It is gone now and a new building went up as Norwood already said.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,155,235 times
Quote:
Is that the sight of The Bronx Miracle,the place where the Virgin Mary appeared ?

Visions of Jesus Christ.com - The Boy who saw The Virgin - The Bronx Miracle

Shrine of Our Lady of the Universe | Place Matters

http://ourladyoftheuniverse.com/nytimesinterview.html

Anyone know if the guy is still alive ,saying the rosary there every night ? I think he was still alive in 2008 or 2010 anyway.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-06-2013 at 04:16 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 04:44 AM

579 posts, read 949,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Is that the sight of The Bronx Miracle,the place where the Virgin Mary appeared ?

Visions of Jesus Christ.com - The Boy who saw The Virgin - The Bronx Miracle

Shrine of Our Lady of the Universe | Place Matters

Our Lady of the Universe

Anyone know if the guy is still alive ,saying the rosary there every night ? I think he was still alive in 2008 or 2010 anyway.
Yes. My mother was friends with the boy who had the vision. it was folklore on Villa Avenue, the Italian ghetto in the Bedford Park neighborhood. I remember my mother taking me to the shrine and seeing groups of people praying there in the 60's.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,652,006 times
Quote:
Mt St Ursula is Bedford Park and Bainbridge? The nuns no longer live there. Also they built some affordable housing right on the campus. Their used to be a school right on the Concourse and Bedford. N/E/C, that's gone and a building was built.
They've built housing for seniors on campus. It's actually a beautiful building - Peitrang have you been by there? I usually dislike new construction, but this really adds to the neighborhood. Fordham university also has some facility there as well - you see Fordham students going back and forth on Bedford Park Blvd. from the prep entrance to Mount Saint Ursula.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,575,114 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I think you are referring to the old Bedford Park Academy that was on the corner of Bedford Park Boulevard and the Grand Concourse. It was Grace Lutheran, not Catholic as I recall. It is gone now and a new building went up as Norwood already said.
Yes, I was actually thinking about the Grace Lutheran school. I couldn't remember what faith it was, only that it was a parochial school. It's a shame that there's a building there now

Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
They've built housing for seniors on campus. It's actually a beautiful building - Peitrang have you been by there? I usually dislike new construction, but this really adds to the neighborhood. Fordham university also has some facility there as well - you see Fordham students going back and forth on Bedford Park Blvd. from the prep entrance to Mount Saint Ursula.
The Academy of Mount St. Ursula is a girls’ Catholic college preparatory school, established in 1855 in the East Morrisania section of the Bronx, New York. Since 1892, the school has been located at Bedford Park Boulevard and Bainbridge Avenue, two blocks east of the Grand Concourse, in the Bronx, New York. This is the oldest continuous Catholic High School for girls in New York State and a U. S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon School. It is located within the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York.

The housing was a good cash infusion for the nuns. That's a huge piece of property.

Rielese, yeah I agree with you. There used to be a huge yellow Queene Anne on Mosholu Pkwy between 205th st and Lisbon Place. The Duffy's owned it. It also had a old red barn that was used has a parking garage. That house was torn down and a building was built. Small apt's.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,782,493 times
a lady who works in Manhattan College whose husband is the Exec Director of Fordham Bedford Housing organization was once featured in the Norwood News she was talking about their Queen Anne style house on E 202 street which they inherited from her father

I think Ace Frehley of Kiss went to Grace Lutheran
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City