Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM

579 posts, read 949,047 times

Advertisements

OKay, Okay, let's call it a day. The Bedford Park neighborhood is different things to different people. To Yodel, it's the place chosen to raise a family. To Norwood, it's the place where he grew up, still has family and works there. To me, it's the place where I grew up, where I also have family living and where I have taken up residence recently. Yodel and I think positively about the neighborhood's poetntial as well as its current state. Norwood sees it differently. To the others who posted here, I see the same differences of opinion. Say what you will about the neignborhood, I still see it as quite beautiful. The abundance of parks and open space is not common in may NYC neighborhoods. I think Mosholu Parkway is wonderful even though section 8 housing is there. I love the NYBG, the victorian houses and the art deco buildings. I also have to admit that I see the neighborhood through my childhood eyes and it could never seem unsafe to me. I walk down the streets and pass the places where my childhood memories occurred most of which were happy. Am I saddened by the occasional run down building or ocurrence of crime. Of course. But I believe that on the whole it's an okay place. I agree that it will probably never be trendy, but I think it has enough to offer middle class residents. I understand that there are those of you who will disagree but that is okay. Time will tell who was right or wrong.

Last edited by pietrang; 06-03-2013 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,650,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
OKay, Okay, let's call it a day. The Bedford Park neighborhood is different things to different people. To Yodel, it's the place chosen to raise a family. To Norwood, it's the place where he grew up, still has family and works there. To me, it's the place where I grew up, where I also have family living and where I have taken up residence recently. Yodel and I think positively about the neighborhood's poetntial as well as its current state. Norwood sees it differently. To the others who posted here, I see the same differences of opinion. Say what you will about the neignborhood, I still see it as quite beautiful. The abundance of parks and open space is not common in may NYC neighborhoods. I think Mosholu Parkway is wonderful even though section 8 housing is there. I love the NYBG, the victorian houses and the art deco buildings. I also have to admit that I see the neighborhood through my childhood eyes and it could never seem unsafe to me. I walk down the streets and pass the places where my childhood memories occurred most of which were happy. Am I saddened by the occasional run down building or ocurrence of crime. Of course. But I believe that on the whole it's an okay place. I agree that it will probably never be trendy, but I think it has enough to offer middle class residents. I understand that there are those of you who will disagree but that is okay. Time will tell who was right or wrong.
Sounds good to me.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,702,604 times
Quote:
You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:35 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,427,828 times
I am glad everyone kissed and made up...now you 3 should all go out and have a drink, then fist fight and knock out a few teeth, then immediately make up and be life long friends..just like the former residents used to do "back in the day" when life was perfect.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am glad everyone kissed and made up...now you 3 should all go out and have a drink, then fist fight and knock out a few teeth, then immediately make up and be life long friends..just like the former residents used to do "back in the day" when life was perfect.
Who said life was perfect back in the day? I recall saying that I have fond childhood memories of my neighborhood . I also said in other posts that I think Bedford Park is pretty much the same as it was"back in the days".

Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,312,914 times
lol.... A bit of an exaggerator huh...

Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,702,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Agreeing with Sobro and NYwriterDude twice in 1 day? Wow, hell has frozen over!

Old 06-04-2013, 02:17 PM

I want to make one more point here. I think a comparison between Bedford Park and Inwood makes more sense. As I see it, these neighborhoods are similar demographicly and about the same travel time to midtown. Yet rents and purchase prices are higher in Inwood. Is it the NYC (Manhattan) zipcode that adds the premium or is the QOL really better in inwoood compared to Bedford Park?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 PM

9,253 posts, read 24,151,830 times
Quote:
I want to make one more point here. I think a comparison between Bedford Park and Inwood makes more sense. As I see it, these neighborhoods are similar demographicly and about the same travel time to midtown. Yet rents and purchase prices are higher in Inwood. Is it the NYC (Manhattan) zipcode that adds the premium or is the QOL really better in inwoood compared to Bedford Park?
No,it is not,which is exactly why I passed over Inwood and other areas and moved to The Bronx.Rents and
co op prices in Inwood are considerably higher than places like Bedford Park and Pelham Parkway with no real difference in QOL or distance from midtown.The only explanation for the big difference is there are so many people who have to be able to say they live in Manhattan.

Inwood and Bedford Park are basically on the same parallel.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,312,914 times
Quote:
I think it's mainly that Inwood is in Manhattan. While Inwood is still heavily Dominican, the areas West of Broadway continue to become more expensive and Whiter. If the areas East of Broadway gentrify, THEN I could see Inwood as whole becoming better and pricier, but for now you have two Inwoods, which have existed for a while but is intensifying, as people search further north in Manhattan for "cheaper" rents.

Bedford Park on the other hand is in the Bronx and that holds prices down. Maybe instead of putting down BeMo you should try to claim that Bedford Park is part of Riverdale and then the prices would appreciate. I've seen all sorts of listings for businesses or even apartments for purchase come up under Riverdale, which was quite startling and amusing to say the least because they are no where near Riverdale and are certainly in the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City