Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 07:36 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,310,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
With all due respect, grovs can stay in Riverdale. We will somehow muddle on without him. No, I will not take Norwood's name in vain - darn I just said it.
It'll be a cold day before I move from Riverdale to the Bronx....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:44 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,698,634 times
Mayhem in the city: 25 people shot in 48 hours* - NY Daily News

Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,049,068 times
Surprise surprise a 20-year-old out at 3am gets shot. Hmmm how did that happen? Wth is happening on the corner of Webster and Bedford at 3am? Seems like the usual hood crap happening to hood folks.

Risk is inherent when you make the choice to participate in gentrification. For most people if they avoid hood people and keep decent hours the risk is minimal...sure you could catch a stray bullet but the chances are low unless you like to be in the streets all day. As more decent people move-in the area will become better and the hood element will be squeezed out. Will it ever be Mayberry? Nope. Waiting until the area completely turns over means showing up with deep pockets...defeating the entire purpose of moving into a transitioning neighborhood.

Quote:
A 20-year-old man was shot in the leg at Bedford Park Blvd. and Webster Ave. in the Bronx at 3:30 a.m.
Read more: Mayhem in the city: 25 people shot in 48 hours* - NY Daily News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post

Last edited by Jasper03; 06-03-2013 at 07:24 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,645,134 times
Also happened in Crown Heights, Astoria, Prospect Lefferts Gardens and East Harlem, the last of which someone recently spent a lot of time recommending.

Living here, it's perhaps pertinent to mention that there are a fair amount of people who's greatest fear is gentrification. It seems silly, but for some people, the greatest perceived threat to the neighborhood is higher-income people moving in and causing rents and prices to rise. I just can't help but wonder if this intense interest in discouraging new people from settling in Norwood/Bedford Park could be related to this, from someone named Norwood who does not disclose where he lives (but claims not to live in Norwood).

Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,067,532 times
Section 8 and other government programs end up having similar scale to housing projects. Basically, since many landlords won't deal with government programs, they end up being concentrated in certain parts of town.

That leads to the issues that many complain about concerning Section 8.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 AM

Yodel, in the interests of the city data board and me getting some work done. can't we put this bed already? So now I have been accused by some posters in this thread of racism, something "life changing" happening to me, claiming to know my party affiliation, and now maybe I'm against gentrification. BTW I hate that G word.
Come on your better than this Yodel, reread my posts. I stated to pietrang that i would recommend EH to anyone. Yes, at this point I see no difference between east harlem and Bedford area. What do we got? A shooting in each place. That's plays right into what I'm saying. Where do I live???? I'll let you takes some guesses? Do you feel I still live in Norwood?? I'm in Norwood as we speak but no I don't reside here. I live in Queens.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Section 8 and other government programs end up having similar scale to housing projects. Basically, since many landlords won't deal with government programs, they end up being concentrated in certain parts of town.

That leads to the issues that many complain about concerning Section 8.
I can't believe this but i agree. I'm about to go outside and see if pigs are flying.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,645,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Yodel, in the interests of the city data board and me getting some work done. can't we put this bed already? So now I have been accused by some posters in this thread of racism, something "life changing" happening to me, claiming to know my party affiliation, and now maybe I'm against gentrification. BTW I hate that G word.
Come on your better than this Yodel, reread my posts. I stated to pietrang that i would recommend EH to anyone. Yes, at this point I see no difference between east harlem and Bedford area. What do we got? A shooting in each place. That's plays right into what I'm saying. Where do I live???? I'll let you takes some guesses? Do you feel I still live in Norwood?? I'm in Norwood as we speak but no I don't reside here. I live in Queens.
People have already mentioned the price enormous price differences and other factors in EH. There's no need to keep repeating the same stuff over and over. I keep answering because I have a direct interest in the neighborhood - this is where I live and where I'm raising my children. I'm just saying that for someone who has no direct interest, you're awfully interested. I'm fine to "put this to bed", but can you do that without getting the last word Norwood?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
People have already mentioned the price enormous price differences and other factors in EH. There's no need to keep repeating the same stuff over and over. I keep answering because I have a direct interest in the neighborhood - this is where I live and where I'm raising my children. I'm just saying that for someone who has no direct interest, you're awfully interested. I'm fine to "put this to bed", but can you do that without getting the last word Norwood?
I have my PARENTS there? That's inconsequential? How about 1 cousin and 1 brother? someone who has no direct interest, I work here and spend a good bulk of my time here? Still inconsequential? I understand the climate of the Country has changed. meaning you disagree and all of sudden emails and phones being tapped. IRS auditing the "Bad People".

Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,067,532 times
Quote:
Also happened in Crown Heights, Astoria, Prospect Lefferts Gardens and East Harlem, the last of which someone recently spent a lot of time recommending.

Living here, it's perhaps pertinent to mention that there are a fair amount of people who's greatest fear is gentrification. It seems silly, but for some people, the greatest perceived threat to the neighborhood is higher-income people moving in and causing rents and prices to rise. I just can't help but wonder if this intense interest in discouraging new people from settling in Norwood/Bedford Park could be related to this, from someone named Norwood who does not disclose where he lives (but claims not to live in Norwood).
Yes. But the thing they don't realize is going into denial and outright lying on forums here will not stop gentrification of neighborhoods at all. They'd be better served by looking for jobs that pay more money.

Some people, who have sought to deny gentrification was happening in many neighborhoods have even come out to complain that poor people were being pushed out. Thus that's an admission that it is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City