Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
It's designed to get you from A to B.
The system is not designed to:
"Enjoy the ride", "sightseeing", "touring" or "joy riding".

It's a new transportation option. That's all.

Example. ...

Say you're on 11ave & 34 and need to get to 3ave on the east side.
You can either walk, take a bus or a cab.

Or you can take one of these bikes to get there.

The 24hrs, or weekly rates are geared toward tourists, imo. Which allows them to hit as many tourist attractions as possible without worrying about getting a rental bike (or its components) stolen.
But you have to bring it back in 30 minutes or you get hit with an OT fee. I can't see how much you can get accomplished and return the bike within 30 minutes. Plus, there's a security hold of $101 for every pass purchased. This doesn't sound like it's for the average Joe or the large family visiting NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
I remember when I first started riding in the city I was quite slow because I didn't know how to negotiate traffic. For this reason, I think 30 minutes is too short. There is a good chance that inexperienced cyclists won't get where they need to go in that time.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:14 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
So this "commute to work deal"...Hmmmm.

Okay, think of where you live. Where is the nearest bike pickup?
Think of where you work? How close is the nearest dropoff?

How far did you have to walk to get to work? Did you get the bike back in 30 minutes?

For me, retired, I would thinkn of maybe a trip to Greenwich Village.
I have no clue WHERE to pick up the bike nor where to drop it off...so, so much for the commuting.
Maybe to Lincoln Center?

So any fans here? How close is your apartment to bike distance and your dropoff to workplace distance? How far must you walk?

So for commuting, ultimately IF you are really lucky you can back and for the to work for $10. (My Huffy cost me $68 NEW.)

Old 06-11-2013, 01:16 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
But you have to bring it back in 30 minutes or you get hit with an OT fee. I can't see how much you can get accomplished and return the bike within 30 minutes. Plus, there's a security hold of $101 for every pass purchased. This doesn't sound like it's for the average Joe or the large family visiting NYC.
The average bicyclist rides at an approx. speed of 10mph.
So within 30 mins. you could cover 5 miles.

The security deposit is a pending transaction and It's not charged to your credit card unless you fail to return the bike, which is more than 101 btw. I think is almost 1k

I think this is also not geared toward children under 12.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
What if you do find another kiosk near your final destination and all the spots are taken??

KK, I don't think men and women in suits are gonna be bikin' it work lol...

I think it's a good idea for students (who have the $$) but if you don't find the kiosk, you're really gonna be taken for a ride.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The average bicyclist rides at an approx. speed of 10mph.
Not in New York City...a friend has run up $900 in fines this season for running lights.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
What if you do find another kiosk near your final destination and all the spots are taken??

I think it's a good idea for students (who have the $$) but if you don't find the kiosk, you're really gonna be taken for a ride.
If the bike station is full then you insert your key (code) and the system will extend the time 15 mins and direct you to the nearest station, which in Manhattan should be no more than 4 blocks apart.

There's also a phone app showing live availability.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Me neither, but likeminas is calling these commuter devices so hence my argument at how bad they are for getting back and forth from work.

So if not good for work or pleasure what is the point?

(In truth, at the inception of the program I HONESTLY thought these bikes would be free to the public. Wow, I blew that one.)

Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I think this is also not geared toward children under 12.
You have to be over 16 to become an annual member and all of the issues raised and answered for the OP were also addressed to the OP in the other thread.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
which in Manhattan should be no more than 4 blocks apart.
I walk MILES every day in all directions and I have seen precisely ONE bike installation in my entire life and that was at leas 3 miles from my apartment.

And I ask again...can ANYONE conceive of the purpose of a 24 hour rental that allows only 30 minute rides? What's wrong with : "You want a bike for 30 minutes? $1." Everything else in the universe says: You rent for 24 hours and it's YOURS for 24 hours.

Anyone ever had a hotel room where he had to check in with the concierge every 30 minutes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City