Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:06 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

Forest Hills Daddy hit it on the head with the need to define "wealthy." I might call a wealthy neighborhood one with a median income of $150,000 and lean towards my original answer of NO.

Did African American get changed to "diverse" in the thread title?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
New Brighton and West Brighton on Staten Island are in or very close to traditionally African American areas. There's some amazing mansions on Henderson Avenue in particular. Your family would not feel at all out of place in that area or in the schools. I'd love to be able to afford to live in that area. I went to a catholic high school in that neighborhood which is very diverse and has been for at least 2-3 generations.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
New Brighton and West Brighton on Staten Island are in or very close to traditionally African American areas. There's some amazing mansions on Henderson Avenue in particular. Your family would not feel at all out of place in that area or in the schools. I'd love to be able to afford to live in that area. I went to a catholic high school in that neighborhood which is very diverse and has been for at least 2-3 generations.
St. Peter's Boys school doesn't have a whole lot of black students, though: St Peters Boys High School, Staten Island NY School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

With West Brighton/New Brighton, he'd have to look carefully, though. A few blocks over can mean the difference between being in a great area and being in the hood. For instance, Bard & Henderson is a very nice area. But you go a half mile west and you end up at the West Brighton Houses (a high-crime housing project), with Markham Gardens a block away. And of course, in New Brighton, you have the Jersey Street corridor.

The area south of Henderson, between Bard Avenue and St. Peter's Boys school is mostly white. North of Henderson on either side of Snug Harbor is more diverse, though whites are still the largest group (west of Snug Harbor is nicer than east of it). Between Bard and say, Bement, on either side of Henderson is diverse and nice (though generally the parts closer to Forest Avenue are a little nicer).

He can send me a DM if he's interested in that area.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Before this thread gets filled with racially motivated bigotry once again let me just tell you that yes there are middle class to upper middle class black areas in NYC. A good portion of Southeast Queens fits this bill as well as certain sections of Brooklyn's Fort Greene/Clinton Hill/Stuyvesant Heights areas though these areas in Brooklyn would probably be out of the 800,000 price range to buy a house.

Southeast Queens would probably be your best bet and there are sections along Merrick Blvd by 127th ave, 128th ave, that are as beautiful, and well kept as any upper middle class area in this city... That specific section which I'm not sure what it's called reminds me a lot of Fresh Meadows in terms of housing structure and greenery but it is majority black and has a lot of first generation Caribbean and South Asian folk with a small but growing number of Hispanic families as well. I know a lot of people in that area and if you would like I could PM you information on whether there are any houses available for sale near that area.

My one recommendation before checking out the areas I'm about to mention is to make sure the neighborhood is right for you and check it out for yourself to see if whether that section is a solid area or not. Unfortunately, that area of Southeast Queens is majority good but it borders a couple of bad areas (South Jamaica, Far Rockaway) so you'd like to avoid and be as far away from those as possible.

Areas to consider: Cambria Heights, Laurelton, St. Albans, Springfield Gardens, Oakland Gardens, Hillside, Hollis, Rosedale (cheaper and safe but a little more run down than the other areas), Briarwood (more diverse), East Elmhurst (more diverse, cheaper and safe but a little more run down than the other areas)
I would agree with most with the exception being Oakland Gardens. That's an area within Bayside. That's not at all what the OP is looking for. IMO. Also Hollis is rundown compared to the others.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R98 View Post
I just need some help. I am originally from ATL but i want to know if there is any diverse or african-american neighbourhoods that are wealthy in all of the 5 boroughs. For the location of my work Staten Island is the best borough for me location wise. I am looking to buy a house in the 800,000 range that is diverse and would like to know of any neighbouhoods that offer this, espically in Staten Island. Thanks
There are very few truly diverse neighborhoods in NYC.It's a very diverse city but everyone is pretty much self segregated into their own areas and neighborhoods.I mean there are smatterings of diversity in most neighborhoods but real diversity? Very uncommon.I don't consider places that have a 10% white population or a 5% or 10% black or hispanic population diverse.

A few neighborhoods in Queens and The Bronx are truly diverse but they are not "wealthy".

Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R98 View Post
I just need some help. I am originally from ATL but i want to know if there is any diverse or african-american neighbourhoods that are wealthy in all of the 5 boroughs. For the location of my work Staten Island is the best borough for me location wise. I am looking to buy a house in the 800,000 range that is diverse and would like to know of any neighbouhoods that offer this, espically in Staten Island. Thanks
Brooklyn as a whole as the mosts blacks than any of the 5 boros. In terms of the most diverse? I guess as another poster mentioned Ft Greene. A changing area but still a lot of blacks.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Zillow would put the median HH income of Laurelton almost 2x that of NYC. As this is a median, it means that there are residents who make even more. Wiki considers it an upper middle class neighborhood. So it depends on how you define "wealthy". Also that's one of the few fine places in the city that has a noticable AA presence; not a lot of them. And with a budget of $800K, I think OP's housing options would fall under upper middle class.
Yeah, a $800K home isn't wealthy by NYC standards. Certainly "comfortable" but you're not going to get the same amount of house that you would down in ATL for that kind of money.

I'd call Ft Greene diverse and one of my favorite neighborhoods in NYC but $800K would only get you a one bedroom condo or a 2/3 bedroom co-op. Brownstone homes are well into the $2 Million range over there. If it is a house you're looking for, go with some of the Queens suggestions.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Anon1, the area you're probably talking about is the Addisleigh Park historic district. It's the area around Linden Blvd directly east of Merrick. Anyway, there aren't that many mostly black areas that are super wealthy asides from this one, in fact, outside of Manhattan, there aren't many wealthy areas in general. Plenty of middle class areas across the city, especially in Queens. Southeast Queens is mostly middle class and is around 80-90% Black.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
I would not recommend places in Northeastern and Central Queens like Bayside, Fresh Meadows, Glen Oaks, Briarwood to the OP. They are nice areas but do not fit the OP's requirements. Aside from being too far from his potential place of work, they do not provide the kind of neighborly feel that he is presumably accustomed to in Atlanta. People there nowadays largely keep to their own.

If he is working in SI, I suggest looking into the nicer parts of southeastern Queens like Laurelton and Cambria. Just look out for the water table. Also he should get a good broker to steer him to the nicer blocks. Another place he can consider is the nicer part of Valley Stream.

If he is working in NJ, then there are more suburbs that fit his requirements over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City