Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 03:54 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,232,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Because poor people are lazy and should be eradicated obviously.
Perhaps people like you should be eradicated to extinction instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 09:52 AM

391 posts, read 286,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
best post I have seen on CD in a while. These folks do think they are superior to others and use this system to push people out.
Do you know what a free market is? supply and demand? Nobody is entitled to live anywhere. A neighborhood becomes desirable, demand goes up, people bid up the rent, and those who can't afford them, move to a cheaper neighborhood. the fact is that neighborhoods change.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:22 AM

30,694 posts, read 18,331,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The mentality is one of entitlement.

The people who root for gentrification tend to be the people who benefit from it (or hope to). They take it for granted that the world should cater to them--i.e. to their needs, desires, interests, tastes, etc. When neighborhoods evolve to better compliment their lifestyles, they are "improving." When neighborhoods are more oriented to the needs and budgets of lower-income groups, they are "in decline."
Except that a lot of the benefits (namely greater safety, more and improved amenities, etc.) are benefits that people across all income levels will overwhelmingly applaud.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,335,861 times
Speaking of gentrification:

http://youtu.be/gfaQP4TkHj8

Hahahahhaha!!!!

Obviously this is a promotional video for a condo development but high-holy-shi*. I might as well take my butt back to the suburbs...and this is coming from a gentrifying, Bed Stuy, condo owner.

In all fairness, I remember seeing similar subway ads for Williamsburg back in 2001. I don't remember the advertiser, but I'm sure it must have been a real estate group. It was a series of images of different types of people: a hipster looking woman with a sleeve tattoo, a Hasidic man, a lily white family, a Hispanic man. Under each image the caption read "Williamsburg?"

Old 08-10-2015, 07:51 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,815,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Speaking of gentrification:

http://youtu.be/gfaQP4TkHj8

Hahahahhaha!!!!

Obviously this is a promotional video for a condo development but high-holy-shi*. I might as well take my butt back to the suburbs...and this is coming from a gentrifying, Bed Stuy, condo owner.

In all fairness, I remember seeing similar subway ads for Williamsburg back in 2001. I don't remember the advertiser, but I'm sure it must have been a real estate group. It was a series of images of different types of people: a hipster looking woman with a sleeve tattoo, a Hasidic man, a lily white family, a Hispanic man. Under each image the caption read "Williamsburg?"
The pretentiousness is enough to make you vomit... And the video focused mainly on the Clinton Hill border of the Stuy... Clearly a video with an angle. @ jad2k, when you look back at your neighborhood and no longer see any black faces like yours, I hope you take the time to understand that you were a big part of that. Congrats.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The pretentiousness is enough to make you vomit... And the video focused mainly on the Clinton Hill border of the Stuy... Clearly a video with an angle. @ jad2k, when you look back at your neighborhood and no longer see any black faces like yours, I hope you take the time to understand that you were a big part of that. Congrats.
The company promoting the video has a new development on Dekalb near Marcus Garvey. That's why they focused on the business around the northern and eastern part of Bed Stuy. It's what's closest to that condo. But yeah, even I rolled my eyes so hard they almost got stuck upside down.

You are aware that gentrification is about economics, not color. About 40-50% of the owners in my building are "black faces like mine". The others are white faces like my boyfriend. Also, I think Bed Stuy will eventually settle along the lines of a Ft Greene or Clinton Hill where there is a mix of colors but probably not a huge mix of incomes (unless you factor in the projects.). Keep in mind there are a lot of black gentrifiers, it's just that white people can't tell the difference between us and original residents.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:14 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,815,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
The company promoting the video has a new development on Dekalb near Marcus Garvey. That's why they focused on the business around the northern and eastern part of Bed Stuy. It's what's closest to that condo. But yeah, even I rolled my eyes so hard they almost got stuck upside down.

You are aware that gentrification is about economics, not color. About 40-50% of the owners in my building are "black faces like mine". The others are white faces like my boyfriend. Also, I think Bed Stuy will eventually settle along the lines of a Ft Greene or Clinton Hill where there is a mix of colors but probably not a huge mix of incomes (unless you factor in the projects.). Keep in mind there are a lot of black gentrifiers, it's just that white people can't tell the difference between us and original residents.
We both know that's BS. For the record, I have nothing invested in the neighborhood so I really couldn't care what happens to Bed-stuy as a whole but to say that color doesn't matter is ridiculous. Who are the Jews buying the properties off of, the white folks who have lived in this area for some time or the white newcomers who bought early, or the Black and Hispanic folk that have lived here for years. Even in my middle class neighborhood of Ridgewood, it's going on all the time. I've heard second hand from RE agents I know, about their plans to remove all the Hispanics from the neighborhood. And every single day, you'll see at least two or three Jewish property buyers, talking up another Hispanic owner in the neighborhood convincing them the time to sell is now.

Now color, isn't the only thing; I'll give you that. But to say, it doesn't play a role is incredibly naïve.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:47 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,334,734 times
Give me a break with the color crap. If you got money saved or income coming in you can buy. So either save your pennies or go study something that makes you worth lending to. Being an oversensitive minority won't get you anything.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:59 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,286,258 times
I'm pretty sure that in the recent article that I think silverbullcity posted about a 26 year old Hadistic Jewish realestate business man going around buying up property in Brooklyn that he mentions the gentrification is about color. He says people won't rent from their buildings if there is even one person of color in there. However, they go around purchasing property from the depressed areas which doesn't discriminated against color. They've bought property from all kinds of people in poverty. On a side note they also mentioned in that same article that they discriminate for religious reasons when it comes to a property with a fruit tree because their religion says something about you can't cut down a fruit bearing tree.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
We both know that's BS. For the record, I have nothing invested in the neighborhood so I really couldn't care what happens to Bed-stuy as a whole but to say that color doesn't matter is ridiculous. Who are the Jews buying the properties off of, the white folks who have lived in this area for some time or the white newcomers who bought early, or the Black and Hispanic folk that have lived here for years. Even in my middle class neighborhood of Ridgewood, it's going on all the time. I've heard second hand from RE agents I know, about their plans to remove all the Hispanics from the neighborhood. And every single day, you'll see at least two or three Jewish property buyers, talking up another Hispanic owner in the neighborhood convincing them the time to sell is now.

Now color, isn't the only thing; I'll give you that. But to say, it doesn't play a role is incredibly naïve.
No it is not BS. Me, and many others, have written about how it's an economic situation. White people tend to have more money than blacks in this country so you tend to see gentrification play out along color lines. However, in all cases regardless of race, if one has $2.5M cash to buy a brownstone, one has $2.5M cash to buy a brownstone. Yes, there may still be housing discrimination, racist real estate agents, and racist home owners, but when you get to the point of being able to afford seven figure properties, it is less of an issue. The only place where I can see racial discrimination being a major factor with gentrification is if the properties are co-ops. That is not the case in most gentrifying neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City