Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM

273 posts, read 672,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehoolio View Post
Thank you all for the informative responses, especially Astroia. As for Midtown West, I can take a ferry (which is great) to work so I do not need to be near a subway for that purpose. I guess I would need to take taxis to get around NYC though.
I will look into South of Christopher.

If one had to choose between Midtown West (Hell's Kitchen) or FiDi, what would be the majority consensus? The apartments I am looking at include the Mercedes House and 20 Pine Street.

Another option is 23rd and 6th (The Caroline building).
The building at 23rd and 6th should be very good. The area has heavy foot traffic due to all the shops on 6th Ave and the closeness of nightlife to Chelsea and Flatiron. They have a great old-fashioned sandwaich/luncheonette near there Eisenberg's which draws tourists in the know in addition to the shopping. If you want to be in the middle of everything an easy access but deal with some crowds (mainly during the day) then this might be a good fit - the PATH train is pratically at your doorstep.

If you like my suggestion and you were fine to take a ferry to work from W57th (which is very pleasant except in the winter when you contend with the cold and snow sometimes), then Financial District.

Just avoid being too close to Water Street as that area is at risk for flooding from severe storms. A few spots are still using generators for power after Hurricane Sandy hit months ago. There are some quiet areas around Pace University. Also off Church St just above the World Trade Center PATH train and near many ferries and subways to take to the rest of NYC and a few nice New Jersey towns is another excellent option. Just be sure to get hosuing that is new or the wonderful old cast irons that are being renovated for lofts. Extremely safe area. Some affordable shopping - J&R has everything and is near a nice park - City Hall Park, Century 21 is nearby and LotLess for bargains. There is also more upscale shopping though not a ton - Brooks Brothers and a few others around Wall Street area. The main drawback is the nightlife centers around bars and restaurants for the workers and tourists. There are some that are open late but it is just limited. On the other hand you can enjoy Battery Park City and the Hudson River Park which is quite beautiful. Some high-end restaurants there as it is a very wealthy area with moorings for yachts which can be pleasant (and sometimes too ostentatious) but people from all over NYC visit the park.

Phew, I wonder if I should be a realtor I like doing this!

Last edited by astroia 34567; 07-23-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
So Henna, I do not appreciate your snarkiness.

You mentioned that a building with a creaky elevator was a walk-up, and I put two and two together and figured he was worried that the creaky elevator meant possibly he could get stuck in the elevator and therefore scared to ride it. A non-functioning elevator would, in effect, make an elevator building into a walk-up, although that certainly wasn't clear by the way you stated it.

So, Astroia, I don't appreciate your telling me I am being snarky. Wtf. Chill out. I guess the heat got to you.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Snake,

Would you do the same if your job was in Bayonne or Sommerville?
Can't say for sure since I don't know how much trouble it is to get to those places, but since I have a car, probably.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:04 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
One place no one has mentioned, any many people on the NY forum will shoot down, is Hoboken. But I am a 30 yr old male and absolutely love hoboken. It is very clean, has a great energy / vibe, and doesn't come with so many of the problems encountered in the city. I live in soho and am thinking of moving to hoboken in a year or two for the reasons mentioned.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
The building at 23rd and 6th should be very good.
It's very loud, very expensive, with very small apartments. I've looked there

Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 PM

16 posts, read 85,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerie View Post
I have lived in quite a few neighborhoods in NYC. I used to live in Chelsea and it is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. It is very close to the West Village another neighborhood I love.

I would choose Chelsea over the Hell's Kitchen/Clinton area. It's a nicer area imo.

Hell's Kitchen is okay but it is too close to 42nd Street for me and the area is so-so. I would not want to live there. Lots of congestion from the commuter buses.

The Financial district is not bad, I lived a very close walking distance (a few blocks) to that area but it can be dead in the evenings and weekends. It depends on what you like and the amenities you desire.

My choice would be Chelsea, FIDI and Hell's Kitchen would be my last choice.

BTW, I lived in Queens and Astoria is also one of my favorites. I LOVE that neighborhood. They have been fixing it up nicely. I would choose Astoria over Hell's Kitchen but not if you need to get to Jersey.

Have you ever thought about the LES or East Village? I loved living there too. Easy Path to Jersey and close to a lot of places and LOTS of things to do. Good Luck!

Where do you live in Boston?

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Chelsea seems very large, I would need to be near the 23rd street and 6th ave path, is that a good area? Also, s FiDi really that dead, and is 10th-12th ok in Hell's Kitchen as opposed to the times square area? I would not mind living in the East Village, but it seems like the path would be distant? Any thoughts?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:00 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehoolio View Post
Hi there, thanks for the reply. Chelsea seems very large, I would need to be near the 23rd street and 6th ave path, is that a good area? Also, s FiDi really that dead, and is 10th-12th ok in Hell's Kitchen as opposed to the times square area? I would not mind living in the East Village, but it seems like the path would be distant? Any thoughts?
Why don't you just come and look around and get a feel for everything.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Why don't you just come and look around and get a feel for everything.
I don't have a lot of time and a few hours or even days probably isn't going to give me as much experience as all of you have so I appreciate the opinions. You didn't like the Caroline building huh? I like how there is a gym next door.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerie View Post
I have lived in quite a few neighborhoods in NYC. I used to live in Chelsea and it is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. It is very close to the West Village another neighborhood I love.

I would choose Chelsea over the Hell's Kitchen/Clinton area. It's a nicer area imo.

Hell's Kitchen is okay but it is too close to 42nd Street for me and the area is so-so. I would not want to live there. Lots of congestion from the commuter buses.

The Financial district is not bad, I lived a very close walking distance (a few blocks) to that area but it can be dead in the evenings and weekends. It depends on what you like and the amenities you desire.

My choice would be Chelsea, FIDI and Hell's Kitchen would be my last choice.

BTW, I lived in Queens and Astoria is also one of my favorites. I LOVE that neighborhood. They have been fixing it up nicely. I would choose Astoria over Hell's Kitchen but not if you need to get to Jersey.

Have you ever thought about the LES or East Village? I loved living there too. Easy Path to Jersey and close to a lot of places and LOTS of things to do. Good Luck!

Where do you live in Boston?
Back Bay part of Boston, sorry I forgot to answer your question.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 PM

273 posts, read 672,517 times
I realize you may just have info overload so to simplify things I suggest you FIRST use 6th Ave as your guide for access to PATH from 9th Street to 34th Street. Then the PATH turns down toward West Village. The WTC station is right next to Ground Zero on the Hudson River. ALL of these areas are from safe to very safe. The only area as I wrote you'd probably not care for for reasons mention are some spots on Christopher and 6th Ave around the W4th Street Station to 7th Ave.

I have seen the Caroline when I have hung out in Chelsea/Flatiron. It is a very good property I would say go for it.

If you want something like the Back Bay then south of Christopher Street and areas off 7th to the north will remind you a little of your area in Boston.

Good luck !

Last edited by astroia 34567; 07-23-2013 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City