Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:15 PM

466 posts, read 901,632 times

Advertisements

So we've gone full circle. Back to the point: people make fun of hipsters because they are privileged, advantaged young people who have adopted behaviors that other people find funny for various reasons. Not everyone thinks it's funny--that's okay.

People tend not to make fun of impoverished people living in the hood because their circumstances are entirely different and not even remotely comparable to the hipster lifestyle. Poor people in the hood are underprivileged, underrepresented, and disadvantaged. They live the way they do often out of necessity and not out of choice. It is pretty easy to understand why people usually don't make fun of impoverished people--because it's more sad than funny. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but it's not typical.

Hipsters weren't born hipsters. Their parents weren't hipsters. They aren't hipsters because their dad wasn't around when they were growing up. They aren't hipsters because their schools were underfunded. They aren't hipsters because they fled war-torn countries or corrupt governments.

You're trying to make an analogy between two things that just aren't comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:28 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think making fun of people is great...I do it all the time...but when you do it publicly, on internet sites, and it becomes not just you and your friends having fun, and instilling stereotypes, distrust, and blame for societal problems (whether directly or indirectly) is where it is no longer funny or qualifies as comedy.

So yes let's all laugh and poke fun...I'm all for it...but as I said...if it were "Die Hood Rats"...nobody would be laughing or considering it comedy because of the damage that was done by people doing exactly what they are doing with Die Hipster.

Jesus Christ dude, pull the stick out of your ass. You essentially just said that there should be no comedy on the Internet. If there was a site/forum that made fun of hood rats in the same manner (read: "in the same manner") as diehipster, then I would laugh just as equally. You must be a blast at parties...

I would imagine that said site would have pics and gifs like this:

Old 07-31-2013, 12:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
So we've gone full circle. Back to the point: people make fun of hipsters because they are privileged, advantaged young people who have adopted behaviors that other people find funny for various reasons. Not everyone thinks it's funny--that's okay.

People tend not to make fun of impoverished people living in the hood because their circumstances are entirely different and not even remotely comparable to the hipster lifestyle. Poor people in the hood are underprivileged, underrepresented, and disadvantaged. They live the way they do often out of necessity and not out of choice. It is pretty easy to understand why people usually don't make fun of impoverished people--because it's more sad than funny. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but it's not typical.

Hipsters weren't born hipsters. Their parents weren't hipsters. They aren't hipsters because their dad wasn't around when they were growing up. They aren't hipsters because their schools were underfunded. They aren't hipsters because they fled war-torn countries or corrupt governments.

You're trying to make an analogy between two things that just aren't comparable.
Some hipsters might have had parents who used to be hippies in the late 60s and early 70s.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
There are already a bunch of outlets that constantly denigrate poor people, they're called "the media."

Old 07-31-2013, 12:47 PM

This was a pretty funny movie too. I'm a little nervous to bring it up here though. It might come off as insensitive I'm realizing now.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I think the Die Hipster site is funny..which is why I said I am on the fence about it. You can always make excuses/justifications about denigrating a group...and people can do the same thing about your group, stereotype them, ridicule them, etc...except when it is you/your family/friends being made fun of/scapegoated, it isn't so funny.

I am one of the few on this site that don't blame Hipsters for ruining neighborhoods, raising rents, or any such larger societal issues...anymore than I blame urban people of color...so sure let's make fun...I do it all the time...but also keep in mind they are simply living their lives the way they want to the same way you do, so not sure what the ridicule is about? They look different, act different? Have a supposed attitude? Live in their own world? WELCOME TO NYC.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
I'm not sold on all hipsters coming from the privileged class, some just look too trashy. So I assume they also come from low-income parts of the country that happen to be predominantly white and just want to live in NYC for a bit. Its like generalizing that all of the people that live in the NYC neighborhoods they are moving to are either hoods or immigrants.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobroguy View Post
welcome to nyc.

Welcome to the notion of having a sense of humor.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
This was a pretty funny movie too. I'm a little nervous to bring it up here though. It might come off as insensitive I'm realizing now.

I think that kids actually from Forest Hills.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm not sold on all hipsters coming from the privileged class, some just look too trashy. So I assume they also come from low-income parts of the country that happen to be predominantly white and just want to live in NYC for a bit. Its like generalizing that all of the people that live in the NYC neighborhoods they are moving to are either hoods or immigrants.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City