Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 PM

420 posts, read 805,329 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, West Virginia (outside of Morgantown, which isn't a bad place to live) is a dump, but comparing West Virginia to say Brownsville or the Bronx (the ghetto parts) is downright laughable. EVERYONE has guns in West Virginia and there is hardly any violent crime, despite unbelievable amounts of poverty. Why do you think that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 PM

436 posts, read 565,366 times
Wow at this topic. This is why only economists should be talking about incentives. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Reagan was still president with some people's vitriolic demonizations of the poor and working classes.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 AM

19,057 posts, read 13,973,458 times
The people we are referring to aren't working class. I'm working class. If they forcefully move this crap near my kids, I'd leave NY so fast the bank couldn't even foreclose on me. I didn't make the choices I made so my offspring could live around animals. I have absolutely no reservations about saying that, to anyone.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Stop dancing around the question. I will ask it again...

Are you saying that if a hood person tags up in the building, its the landlord's fault for not cleaning it up and removing it thus creating the hood? ANSWER THIS...WHO IS THE CULPRIT AND THE SOURCE THE UNCIVIL BEHAVIOR?

Is it also the landlord's fault when liquor bottles are left in the hallways or when a hood person pees in the elevator? ANSWER THIS...WHO IS THE CULPRIT AND THE SOURCE THE UNCIVIL BEHAVIOR?

Is it also the landlord's fault why a hood person doesn't pick up after their dog? ANSWER THIS...WHO IS THE CULPRIT AND THE SOURCE THE UNCIVIL BEHAVIOR?

Can you NOT see my point?
If you have destructive people in the building, its the landlords responsibility to deal with them. This includes evictions. If the landlord doesn't get rid of the trashy people, all the better people will leave the building. Which is fine for some landlords in poor areas. There are landlords that exclusively rent out to Section 8 tenants and those on other programs.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Come on Precious...hood people mess up neighborhoods, not slumlords. Slumlords are a product of renting to hood people.
?
There are landlords that prefer renting to people on government programs. And how is this "ghetto" behavior even made possible? It was made possible on a large scale in NYC because so many people moved here in order to get NYC welfare benefits, which are more generous than other places nationally.

The city basically protected landlords and the real estate industry. If there weren't enough jobs to sustain large amounts of people, the city should have condemned and bulldozed apartments and turned the areas into parks. Better than the creation of massive ghettos, which at this point have little to no chance of changing.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you have destructive people in the building, its the landlords responsibility to deal with them. This includes evictions. If the landlord doesn't get rid of the trashy people, all the better people will leave the building. Which is fine for some landlords in poor areas. There are landlords that exclusively rent out to Section 8 tenants and those on other programs.
Getting rid of a destructive tenant is easier said than done considering NY has tenant friendly rent laws such as rent stabilization where a tenant is entitled to get their lease renewed. As a landlord, I can understand as to why after a while a landlord who initially has good intensions of upkeeping his building would evenually throw his hands up and cry uncle and give up and stop taking care of his building because of the ghetto destructive people.

The result is you treat animals, like animals. But let's not forget the source of the destructive behavior!

Old 08-21-2013, 06:49 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post

I do applaud many organizations in the gettos that are trying to instill the value of work, and self-worth to kids. Volunteers, gardens, doing something useful -- people in the gettos themselves are saying -- **** it, free ain't worth it. To be honest, for me that's the only hope that Gettos will improve. Not some Govt program or policy.
As a person who has been involved in many such initiatives, I can tell you that they accomplish little, essentially. Basic example. Create a garden, remove litter and garbage, plant things. If the group in question does not maintain this 24/7, it reverts back to "free" garbage disposal area in very short order.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,208,951 times
That's true. I've also seen churches try to do their part. But you are right, very little, if anything can be done until freebies (to the undeserving) are cut off. It was interesting when I even heard a Black Panther Party guy talk about eliminating or reducing dependency and "earning your keep."

So with the HUD plan -- the Govt instead of backing off, it is getting even more involved.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 PM

268 posts, read 340,753 times
Quote:
That's true. I've also seen churches try to do their part. But you are right, very little, if anything can be done until freebies (to the undeserving) are cut off. It was interesting when I even heard a Black Panther Party guy talk about eliminating or reducing dependency and "earning your keep."

So with the HUD plan -- the Govt instead of backing off, it is getting even more involved.
Do you have a clip of that Black Panther Party guy? I can't believe what I'm reading.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:

So in the end expect little to change for a lot of people. All you can do is make sure you personally do the right thing and live your life as best you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City