Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'll bite. What parts of the city do you consider "average?"
Most of the city to be honest. A lot of neighborhoods are over hyped. Plenty of those in Brooklyn for example. Williamsburg comes to mind. Since hipsters have moved in, now that place is the best place ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
This is not about disagreement. Your arguments have no factual basis. If someone ask for the scoop on a neighborhood, and you have no idea about that neighborhood. It's best for you to either explore the community and gain that intel if it's of interest to you, or keep quiet rather then spew BS.

People are seriously considering these neighborhoods and appreciate balanced point of views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Parkchester is not run down. I highly doubt you have spent significant time there. If you don't know an area well don't comment on it.
I didn't know giving opinions about neighborhoods were all factual. Several posters have mentioned that parts of Parkchester can be sketchy, so please don't sit here and pretend like everything is hunky-dory over there.

Since you want to talk about "stats", here is a nice little article for you :

Crime spike in sprawling 43rd Precinct has Bronx*communities seeking more police presence** - NY Daily News

It's cute that you decided to post those little photos though taken at the right time of the day I suppose to ensure that no one sees any sort of shady business.

Looks like someone is denial...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I am actually surprised you don't get the glut concept.It's the same reason why apartment prices in your part of The Bronx have been stagnant for years and years.Just do a search of apartments for sale in The Bronx on any real estate site and you will see page, after page, after page of apartments in Riverdale,often 7 or 8 in one building at the same time,sometimes 2 or 3 in the same line at the same time.Been that way for as long as I can remember.

I know that the infamous Riverdale co op boards' refusals to ever approve a sale when the price is any lower than they want is a part of the problem but the biggest problem is too much supply for the given demand.
We have some glut, but that's not the main problem with our co-ops. Some of the boards can be a bit picky and we also tend to have high maintenance fees here. Aside from that Riverdale isn't for everyone. Some people come here thinking this is a place with TONS of shopping like Manhattan and they expect the same amenities. It's not that type of place. People move here to settle down, enjoy the green and uniqueness that Riverdale has to offer.

Parkchester on the other hand... I'm not buying all of this about it being solely glut. Some of it is indeed a concern about crime.

Here's a great article that demonstrates my point about Parkchester:

Crime spike in sprawling 43rd Precinct has Bronx*communities seeking more police presence** - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
From the article which is from January of last year mind you,

The 43rd Precinct covers a large chunk of the Bronx — from the well-tended apartment towers in Parkchester to private houses in Castle Hill and several housing projects in Bronx River, Soundview, and Bruckner along the Bruckner Expressway.

Read more: Crime spike in sprawling 43rd Precinct has Bronx*communities seeking more police presence** - NY Daily News

Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 AM

Sketchy on this forum is often a code word for a neighborhood which is mostly "minority". I don't really put much weight on that word here. It doesn't mean much to me.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
From the article which is from January of last year mind you,

The 43rd Precinct covers a large chunk of the Bronx — from the well-tended apartment towers in Parkchester to private houses in Castle Hill and several housing projects in Bronx River, Soundview, and Bruckner along the Bruckner Expressway.

Read more: Crime spike in sprawling 43rd Precinct has Bronx*communities seeking more police presence** - NY Daily News
Yeah because I'm sure crime is just SO LOW now right? Parkchester has had a history of problems with crimes OVER THE YEARS, so my point is this is nothing new. What I can't stand is a bunch of people BS-ing and painting the borough to be this place that it just isn't. The Bronx still has plenty of run down areas and it has a ways to go before it becomes gentrified, if ever, so let's be honest here for once please. In that article, it was the RESIDENTS who said that there was a crime problem, so I guess they don't know what they're talking about either huh?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 AM

Lol no one is talking about gentrification. You said Parkchester was run-down. Back it up. I can cite crimes on UWS, does that make it run down?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Lol no one is talking about gentrification. You said Parkchester was run-down. Back it up. I can cite crimes on UWS, does that make it run down?
Crime=Quality of life issue. What part of that doesn't make sense to you?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 AM

I'm not going to continue debating with you because you clearly have set biases so it's pointless. I do think you do a disservice spewing out "knowledge" about areas you don't know anything about.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to continue debating with you because you clearly have set biases so it's pointless. I do think you do a disservice spewing out "knowledge" about areas you don't know anything about.
Or rather the truth that you refuse to admit or accept, just as the article demonstrated. I think the residents there know what they're talking about and they were very clear about their concerns about the crime problems in the area, but sure, let's dismiss what they have to say.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:22 AM

Lol, part of the reason they were concerned was because there was a rash at the time of crime which was unusual. Why do you think they were concerned? This happens in NYC neighborhoods. There will be a month or two with an uptick of crimes or a crime or two that gets a lot of publicity. That doesn't mean an area is unsafe or "run-down".

Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Lol, part of the reason they were concerned was because there was a rash at the time of crime which was unusual. Why do you think they were concerned? This happens in NYC neighborhoods. There will be a month or two with an uptick of crimes or a crime or two that gets a lot of publicity. That doesn't mean an area is unsafe or "run-down".
An uptick in crime is NOT "normal". We've had one murder here and that was the young Korean man who was killed over his iPhone by some thugs from the Bronx as he was coming home from work. We haven't had any since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City