Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:30 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post

This goes back beyond ten years.. and it's a 360 really. The gov't supports big business preying on the people, so the inverse is only natural. Today you see people preying on business AND the government. One fuels the other when you think bout it.

The whole system is collapsing on both sides though.
Yes, it is.
People do not see it. This astonishes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 03:20 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
I was pleasantly surprised to read the comments here. Most supported the concept of improved security at the entrances to public housing. Compare this with the knee-jerk reaction of other politicians, who don't have to live in the PJs & put up with the depredations.
With 20% of NYC crime occurring in public housing, when only 5% of NYers live there, the comment by the mayor acknowledges that tenant need improved security in their residences. Of course, there is always a percentage that profits off crime against their neighbors.
Some of the comments, about the need for tenant involvement, are on the money. IMO, everyone living in a building needs to play some direct role in securing it; whether they work the form door, patrol the halls, or monitor the playgrounds. It should be part of the price of admission.
Anyone arrested for a crime against another resident, or for selling drugs, should be banned from all public housing, as a bail condition. Then, Momma isn't thrown out in the street, but sonny has to live outdoors, until he's off probation or parole. If he's found back in the apt., then she goes, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time View Post
What irks me the most is their sense of entitlement living in public housing.
Many will agree with you & Tiberius.
Hundreds of years ago, some French philosopher wrote, "Two-thirds of society support the other third." The only question is which end. Currently, we all prop up the 1%, perhaps a few more, while the bottom third may have become 47%, if you believe Romney.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:01 PM

34,016 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
what a ridiculous idea

i used to work for a manufacturer of biometric locks. fingerprint locks are even less robust than normal locks. the reader mechanism will get broken twice as quickly as a plain old lock

in addition most of them have failsafe override via traditional keys anyway

access control via credentials or biometrics really only increase security when key management is a problem (need to re-key lock cylinders when a key is lost, people make copies for their friends, etc), or when you want different access permissions based on time of day. neither apply to housing projects

i expect some skilled salesman from a security vendor pushed this
Why did nobody touch this post. I'm giving reps.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-23-2013, 06:30 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
My response is :

The jews were given yellow armbands. Any difference ?

Old 08-23-2013, 06:53 PM

25 posts, read 71,486 times
I no longer live in ny or nycha but the idea seems ok

Old 08-23-2013, 07:06 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
yall do realize alot of the dealers and goonies live in those bldgs right? and like everything else, theyll find a loophole to get around fingerprint scanners......they just might break the mfers like they break elevators and hall lights.......

Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 PM

402 posts, read 811,246 times
What is the problem? If your collecting from the goverments nipple, they should be able to keep an eye on you.... Just like when we were kids and our parents supported us... Tell these mooches to stop crying and get some self respect and a job.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:21 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Yes. Not that you'd notice.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:35 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
My response is :

My response is: Comparing open racial segregation, those who would become holocaust victims, to communities of poor people in 2013 is beyond outrageous.
Just when I though I had seen the bottom of the barrel regarding ignorance.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
What is the problem? If your collecting from the goverments nipple, they should be able to keep an eye on you.... Just like when we were kids and our parents supported us... Tell these mooches to stop crying and get some self respect and a job.
well do that when the economy/market/wall street/whoever creates jobs ppl can actually live off of (heck creates jobs period)......

and u probably dont know this but alot of ppl in the projects DO have jobs you know......they just dont pay alot.....barely enough for the basics.....does the phrase working poor mean anything to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City