Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times

Advertisements

Other than Sobro, the posts are just as I expected they would be for this forum.

Fear, fear, fear. I swear some of you are probably afraid of your own shadows.

Finger printing people are NOT the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 PM

530 posts, read 1,360,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Other than Sobro, the posts are just as I expected they would be for this forum.

Then what's your solution to make the projects safe?

Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Then what's your solution to make the projects safe?
Warning !

Old 08-16-2013, 02:32 PM

268 posts, read 340,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Why should the city continue to spend more money when there is a cheaper and more efficient system?

Old 08-16-2013, 03:04 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think the right idea is to have a police officer stationed at each building, who, like a doorman, checks who is coming in and out of the building. The people who live there come/go as they please, guests however must go through the police officer and announced prior to gaining access. This would eliminate all of the persistent quality of life issues in the housing projects, namely the thugs hanging out in the lobby/staircases, vandalism, broken door locks, etc. If there is gunplay or other issues there is a police officer already onsite to take immediate action.

I don't think fingerprinting is the answer, I tend to think cameras are better + police officer in each lobby. Of course, the officers would rotate to a different development every 6 months so as to prevent any potential for becoming to "chummy" with people.

PS-If the locks are always broken, what do you think will happen to the fingerprint reader? This is not the answer.
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I agree. I feel two officers should be stationed at each building, along with brand new, high tech cameras that are installed in every NYCHA development on every floor. Every crevice should be covered by the either cameras or NYPD. Try it on a pilot basis at a selected development, and if proven to be successful, expand it.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I agree. I feel two officers should be stationed at each building, along with brand new, high tech cameras that are installed in every NYCHA development on every floor. Every crevice should be covered by the either cameras or NYPD. Try it on a pilot basis at a selected development, and if proven to be successful, expand it.

I'm surprised not all of them have it. A friend of mine, who is an ex-cop, used to be stationed in Astoria. I don't remember the name of the housing but it's close to the bridge and park. This is quite a few years back but I recall he and his partner monitored the cameras. I don't remember if it was one room with cameras for all the buildings or if each building had it's own monitoring room.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
They have security guards and cameras at LeFrak. But what happens? Since people are in and out all of the time, anyone can get into any Lefrak building. The security doesn't give a crap about someone going in the building as someone goes out.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
A camera can't automatically screen out criminals, either. The projects are full of people who generationally haven't worked. That's the problem. So they will remain full of criminals because that's where people disproportionately on government programs live. No amount of cameras, fingerprinting, etc., can change that.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:24 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
Back in the day, in Tompkins Houses (I'll only speak on the PJ I grew up in), we had tenant patrols. Folk were signed in. Our community/tenant leader was a take-no-prisoners woman who feared NO ONE!!!!!!! Any violations of community rules, and you were called out. Violations included, but no limited to, walking on the grass, biking along the paths, curtains outside of the windows and playing ball in front of the building stoop/canopy! Any repeats offenses were reported to the management office!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:24 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They have security guards and cameras at LeFrak. But what happens? Since people are in and out all of the time, anyone can get into any Lefrak building. The security doesn't give a crap about someone going in the building as someone goes out.
Because it's security. They don't take their jobs seriously. If there's like a turnover with NYPD, and a take no prisoners stance, the outcome would possibly be a lot different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City