Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,745 times

Advertisements

I just got to the city from the Midwest and have never been here before! When I was looking at the apartment, it seemed a little sketchy around the Franklin stop, but Gates and Classon is a little further north...I would love to get some input. The apartment is wonderful otherwise, but I just have no sense of the neighborhoods around here. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:40 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Lol

Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 AM

483 posts, read 870,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco185 View Post
I just got to the city from the Midwest and have never been here before! When I was looking at the apartment, it seemed a little sketchy around the Franklin stop, but Gates and Classon is a little further north...I would love to get some input. The apartment is wonderful otherwise, but I just have no sense of the neighborhoods around here. Thanks!!!
OP - The neighborhood you talking about is called Crown Heights. This area in Brooklyn is undergoing a population surge due young urban professionals moving in and starting families. I have family in Crown Heights. They tell me area is calm and not as crazy as Bedford-Stuyvesant. The number of "beat" cops who walk blocks has increased to keep the peace. Next time you are in area, go to pizza shop called PeteZaaz on Classon Ave. and ask employees about neighborhood safety. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:10 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
OP - The neighborhood you talking about is called Crown Heights. This area in Brooklyn is undergoing a population surge due young urban professionals moving in and starting families. I have family in Crown Heights. They tell me area is calm and not as crazy as Bedford-Stuyvesant. The number of "beat" cops who walk blocks has increased to keep the peace. Next time you are in area, go to pizza shop called PeteZaaz on Classon Ave. and ask employees about neighborhood safety. Good luck!
Actually, Gates would be Bed-Stuy, not Crown Heights. Classon is the border between Clinton Hill and Bed-Stuy.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Actually, Gates would be Bed-Stuy, not Crown Heights. Classon is the border between Clinton Hill and Bed-Stuy.
Thanks, Queens-dweller. Classon & Gates belongs to area soon to be called "Bedford Heights".

Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
Thanks, Queens-dweller. Classon & Gates belongs to area soon to be called "Bedford Heights".
You're welcome. I just know because Gates continues into Queens, so it is one of many routes that I would take to Downtown Brooklyn.

About that pizza place, I'll check it out one of these days.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You're welcome. I just know because Gates continues into Queens, so it is one of many routes that I would take to Downtown Brooklyn.

About that pizza place, I'll check it out one of these days.
Great. Remember to order the "baked potato pizza". I am sure you & date/guest will love it.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,301 times
@Bernski all of Crown Heights is not on the path of gentrification though. Yeah the western part of the neighborhood near Bedford, Franklin and Classon has improved drastically in the last 10 years, but it's not the case anywhere east of Kingston ave. And the whole area between Utica and Ralph is like an extension of Brownsville. Still way safer than 15 years ago but not the type of area you want to hang around at night.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
it depends on what type of stuff you get yourself into whether you will be safe or not.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,491 times
West of Classon is Clinton Hill, east of Classon is Bed Stuy. I live in that area on the Bed Stuy side. Gates ave at Classon is fine. In fact Gates ave is fine for several more blocks east past the official Bed Stuy border. You'll be at home with the many Midwest people that have now made that area home. LOL!

Also, there is a pizza place (that was named one of the best in NYC, apparently) closer to you on Classon, called Speedy Romeo. The 12 Best Pizza Places In NYC: Gothamist
Calling it one of the best is a stretch for me but it is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City