Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,051 times

Advertisements

I moved into 211-10 73rd Avenue Bayside 64 NY in 1951 and lived in Windsor Park apt 6E for 12 years or so. Went to PS 188 until PS 205 opened. Went to JHS 74 and then Martin Van Buren HS. I remember Adrian’s Bake shop, Alftest and Switzerland kosher butcher, the Colony where you could get toys, models and Spaulding pink balls for stick ball. Yes I went to the Hambuger Express, great malted, cream sodas etc. Wonderful place to grow up! Kenny G. ( as I was known as a child)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,051 times
Auto correction is frustrating! It is Alftest and Switzer!

Old 02-06-2019, 03:51 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
This was posted back in 2007. I don't want to ask.................

Old 02-12-2022, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 727 times
Default We must have known each other..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecato View Post
I moved into 211-10 73rd Avenue Bayside 64 NY in 1951 and lived in Windsor Park apt 6E for 12 years or so. Went to PS 188 until PS 205 opened. Went to JHS 74 and then Martin Van Buren HS. I remember Adrian’s Bake shop, Alftest and Switzerland kosher butcher, the Colony where you could get toys, models and Spaulding pink balls for stick ball. Yes I went to the Hambuger Express, great malted, cream sodas etc. Wonderful place to grow up! Kenny G. ( as I was known as a child)
Moved to Windsor Park 1951. Lived at 75-40 Bell Blvd. Also PS 188, then PS 205, JHS 74 and MVB. fondest memories of sledding down “Suicide Hill”. Riding bikes to “Big Bolder”. roller Skating on the top of the garage. Grabbing Hot dogs in the Kosher Deli (15 cents) and a coke from the machine in Food Fair—syrup and seltzer dispensed (5 cents)—a good meal for 20 cents. Found this blog by looking up Adrians Bakery. Daily stop walking home form JHS—½ sliced seeded rye and 2 chocolate danishes. And then stopping at Hamburger express for fries. Also remember a take-out Chinese restaurant where we used to go to get greasy egg rolls. Cutting through Nichols to go home. The Bike Path AKA Vanderbilt Highway. Jahns on Springfield. Waiting for the bus on Union Turnpike to go to Van Buren. Yes, it was a wonderful place to grow up. So glad I had the experiences.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecato View Post
Wow very cool I was born (1964) and grew up in the same building and remember all those places.I played baseball little league in Mid Queens Boys Club at Ally Pond Park,Cunningham Park and Credmore.You guys forgot about Digi's Pizza......Is Digi's still there and when did Adrian's close?

Last edited by Evil Z06; 10-26-2022 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-01-2022, 09:34 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,622 times
I really wish I had been around back then. Bayside seemed to be a wonderful community. If anyone has any pictures/good websites to share about Bayside, I would really appreciate it!

Old 11-06-2022, 03:40 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
15 years since the post.................................much has changed.

Old 01-03-2023, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 361 times
Default Missing Bayside

I grew up in Bell Park Gardens. Bell Blvd-69th ave. I was just thinking of the smell of Adrians Bakery. You would wait all day on jewish holidays to get a challah. Egg Creams at Yogi's .I just moved to Fl.I don't miss NY but I miss those times in Bayside. JL

Last edited by Bluejay2072; 01-03-2023 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-22-2023, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 231 times
Smile Older and still memory filled

In no possible world could we, those of us 65-75, could have imagined we would be “here” sharing what was our present as kids In And Around Bell Park Gardens, as fond memories, immersed as we were in our lives, going from PS 46, to JHS 74 to Van Buren or as my brother did, to Cardoza. It was Yogi’s, The Hamburger Express, The Lots, Oakland Lake, Kiddie City, running through the “dry-yards”, playing handball or assesup at PS 46, or summer knock-hockey at “summer camp,” or family picnics in Alley Pond Park, going to Jahns for whatever we could afford, buying records at Larry’s Records, shoes at Thom McAn, Charlotte Russe at Adrian’s, hanging out in The Courts, longing to makeout with a the one you puppy-loved and if you got to 2nd base, you all but died. Taking hated Bar Mitzvah lessons at Oakland Jewish center, and having to listen to the teaching record over and over, fighting with Mr. Seawagen about infractions, and seeing my name hit the section-sheet yet again, as one of the “dumb” kids in my labeled 7-11 or 9-11, spending time butchering wooden blocks as I attempted to “round the corners Fried” for my trinket box, printing napkins in Mr. Quinn’s printing class, and listening in awe as Mr. Electric Shop teacher, showed off his photographic memory, becoming an early morning hall guard to that I could see Doris L. come in early, a beauty that would only talk to the older guys, my love going unnoticed as she breezed by on her way to practice. The Rocks who cruised Union Turnpike, hanging out at Carvels, seeing Clay Cole and Brian Highland at a “fancy” Jewish center on Union Turnpike, biking to Deep Dale to meet out-of-town girls, setting up the papers for Sunday morning at Colony Card shop, Kenny R, Barry W, Art D, Cookie S, Sylvia P, Arlene, Ronnie, Dennis S, Gloria K, Barry K, Engrid R, John L, Gordon B, the twins. Heading to Futterman’s, with its mustard delivered in a paper tube. I remember Karen R and Micky P, I remember much of JHS 74 and nothing of Van Buren, I mean that, other than a short stint on the track team, I’m not a team player, HS is lost to me, one woman followed me to Community College in Brooklyn as I had failed all but my Biology Regency and was deemed, yet again “dumb” and was giving a General Diploma, so no four-year college available to me. Two years at Brooklyn Community then a transfer to LIU where after three years of choosing to study a career path I’d never take, in the as yet unimagined future, I got drafted in1968, a very long and surprising tale but suffice to say, basic training in Georgia for a NY Jew who arrived with a Black friend, was not a sight welcomed by my DI’s. This rambling piece how my mind process. Bell Park is where it started so I’ll return to it, remembering
218-27 68 Ave.(in this google maps shot my remembered door to my apartment is gone?) 67-20 218th where five us lived in two bedrooms. And now living on Florida’s Gulf Coast 3/4s of the year, more this year due to Covid Howard Hughes Like Isolation, I long to drive the streets of projecting memories onto name-changed store fronts along 73 Av., and Bell Park Gardens doorways.The Benches. The night a guy from a gang in Brooklyn who was working in Food Fair cut someone in what I called Cookies Court. That was her first name. The bike path, Oakland Lakes, walking the lost to Oakland Jewish Center, the itchy-ball-trees, cursing Union Turnpike, the "Rocks" (Fonzies) at JHS 74, Skully, Chow-Chow-Cup, Bungalow Bar, the neighborhood bullies, not forgotten, playing Knucks, stoopball, Walter the window cleaner, the laundry rooms, the dry-yard, asses-up at PS 46, being in a JHS class where the number was 9-11 meaning you were "dumb", thank for that, the Section Sheet, my teachers had a "Joel" name stamp, hollowing out acorns for whistles, biking to Deep Dale to meet "out-of-town" girls, the flood on the LIE, Larrys Records, Jerrys Candy store, dancing on LI to The Young Rascals dancing at the Jewish Center on Union Turnpike, to Brian Highland. What crowd were you in? I believe I was not in the in-crowd, but in a good crowd in Bell Park, I have zero memories of life at Van Buren. Remembering PS 74 pretty good, the girls I loved who did not return the favor, the ones that did, those who were cool, tuff, funny, smart, and here we are stunningly 65-75 years old. Who could have imagined what we became? Be safe. Be healthy. Peace...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City