Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:35 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,488 times

Advertisements

Those of you who were around during Dinkins time in office need to prepare. Its all coming back. The cops won't be able to help you. You are on your own now. All of the idiots who romance about the old days are going to get a dose of reality.

Its time to break out your old "don't diss your sis" buttons.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
Those of you who were around during Dinkins time in office need to prepare. Its all coming back. The cops won't be able to help you. You are on your own now. All of the idiots who romance about the old days are going to get a dose of reality.

Its time to break out your old "don't diss your sis" buttons.
When Abe beame, Koch and Dinkins were all mayors NYC was not the only place in America that was horrible. Much of urban America had same or similar problems as NYC. Those days are long gone now. If national trends of crime rises than maybe we will see a peak in crime in NYC.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:42 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times
And much of urban America practiced the same policies NYC did that caused the problem, and when NYC changed it's policies, and got traction, a lot of other cities copied those policies, and had similar effects. Some never changed them, and still have really bad crime problems. Look at Chicago, Philly, Detroit, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
When Abe beame, Koch and Dinkins were all mayors NYC was not the only place in America that was horrible. Much of urban America had same or similar problems as NYC. Those days are long gone now. If national trends of crime rises than maybe we will see a peak in crime in NYC.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Well... I don't like Bill De Blasio or Joe Lhota before the election. Since I'm not moving anywhere, all I can
do is hope for the best that you guys are wrong about the crime rates in the coming years. And I really
hope Bill De Blasio is the right choice and a good mayor for all NYers.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
And much of urban America practiced the same policies NYC did that caused the problem, and when NYC changed it's policies, and got traction, a lot of other cities copied those policies, and had similar effects. Some never changed them, and still have really bad crime problems. Look at Chicago, Philly, Detroit, etc..
Most major cities had 4 digit murder levels, at that time. NYC did not replicate anything for others to copy? How dare you say that It is a huge mystery why crime declined in America and NYC during the early 90s. Every city has bad problems that wont be changed anytime soon. If you're worried about crime, than move to the burbs. It was a liberal named Dinkins who put more cops on the street during his last year in office which saw crime dip. Philly is the last affordable major east coast city, I hope thay city does not turn into DC. BOSTON AND NYC which have become extremely monocultured, unequal and expensive, but still crappie.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 AM

277 posts, read 401,539 times
No doubt they'll find a way to blame Bloomberg when the city falls apart at the seams due to lawlessness and chronic underfunding of services.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Wth man, I figured you were living it up in your downtown loft at this point? North Bronx and all of it's degenerate people in your rearview mirror and all that...
I left the North Bronx and NYC altogether. So the North Bronx is in my review mirror.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Give it a few years. You won't be.

So yes, the rainbow and butterflies candidate won. We've seen this show before (think Dinkens.). Its not so fun when the go along to get along policies lead to chaos. But it was a long time ago the last time things were like that, so the lesson needs to be learned again. So be it.
Well, I probably won't really care in a your worst case scenario. I am no longer in NYC. I'm not sure I'll move back, either.

The main thing is the real estate costs. To live in a decent neighborhood costs way too much money. No matter what kind of job I get, I would never pay 3k to 4k in rent. And I will never live in the Bronx again. Some parts of Brooklyn would be great, but they cost as much as Manhattan.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Well... I don't like Bill De Blasio or Joe Lhota before the election. Since I'm not moving anywhere, all I can
do is hope for the best that you guys are wrong about the crime rates in the coming years. And I really
hope Bill De Blasio is the right choice and a good mayor for all NYers.
I think things will be fine!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:52 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
How does a city of Millions only have less than 100,000 vote?
Looks better now with over a Million voting. But still, with all the complainers we're still short numerous Millions to make their point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City