Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well I could move to Belleville, IL and buy a house right now cash for $30,000 but I won't do that either.
Repped!!!

I mean, there are people who rent out space in rooms (don't even have their own rooms) in NY and live in that. I could have done that, but not interested in living like that.

I could move into a basement somewhere in Eastern Queens and the North Bronx and have cheap rent. I chose not to do that and left the city.

Any neighborhood worth living in, even in the outer boroughs is going to have rent of at least 2k unless you move to the border of Westchester or Nassau. Many people won't like these commutes depending on where they work (you really need a car for these areas, so by the time you factor in a car, the cheaper rent doesn't mean much).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
You people must have some serious vices. If you cant live halfway decent on $600 a week after taxes. Either that or you came up upper middle class and never left to say the least.
And I think you're a troll who has never lived in NYC and certainly not in recent years. $600 a week is only $2400 a month. Making so little you cannot rent an apartment on your own in NYC. In much of the city you'd spend $1000 for just a ROOM.

Any safe place within 30 minutes of midtown or downtown will cost $2k or so for an one bedroom.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:19 PM

197 posts, read 636,407 times
You obviously are of a entitled background, if you think anyone living on 600 a week after taxes as single is broke or can't survive, you really need a reality check.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:22 PM

You can live in a decent area in NYC or close suburbs (IE Bronx, Queens, Jersey City, Hoboken, Yonkers, Mt Vernon) and easily pay your way with a room mate or even a studio for yourself with $1000 or less a month INCLUDING utilities, that leaves 1580 after paying rent for the rest of your living... (Thats at 4.3 weeks a month ).. Thats 367 dollars in your pocket a week after paying rent and utilities... Do you have a serious coke habit, because that doesnt seem that hard to survive on in my book?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
You can live in a decent area in NYC or close suburbs (IE Bronx, Queens, Jersey City, Hoboken, Yonkers, Mt Vernon) and easily pay your way with a room mate or even a studio for yourself with $1000 or less a month INCLUDING utilities, that leaves 1580 after paying rent for the rest of your living... (Thats at 4.3 weeks a month ).. Thats 367 dollars in your pocket a week after paying rent and utilities... Do you have a serious coke habit, because that doesnt seem that hard to survive on in my book?
Mt. Vernon and Yonkers are busted up suburbs (not well off ones) and most of the Bronx is wretchedly poor and filthy. I lived in the Bronx for a year and would not do it again if hell froze over.

1000 a month in the Bronx gives you an apartment building with many Section 8 tenants, rap music at 4am, trash out the garbage, rats and roaches, thugs smoking weed in the lobby and selling stolen goods, etc.

The quality of your life will not be any better than someone on Section 8, because that's exactly who you'll be living with. Mt. Vernon has nice homes, but it has housing projects too.

The nicer parts of Queens close to Manhattan rentals start out about 2k, unless you're living in some basement or in a room in an illegally subdivided house.

And to be perfectly honest, even if you're single who wants to indefinitely live in unstable roommate situations? Clearly you aren't going anywhere in life professionally if you condemn yourself to living like that.

If you had to make 35k a year, move to a place where you can live by yourself (shoeboxes full of rats and roaches don't count), where you can have your own car, and where you can drive. You know, have a decent qualify of life and be able to sleep without being woken up by loud rap music at 2am.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:59 PM

Really? Fleetwood and almost all of Northern Yonkers are nice area's. Throgs Neck, Riverdale in the bronx also. If you cant make it work with 600 a week after taxes and live halfway decently you have some spending problems... 35 K btw is less than 600 a week after taxes. 600 a week is more a long the lines of 45-50 K

Old 11-23-2013, 09:24 PM

448 posts, read 685,443 times
Um, I don't know what anyone else's issue is, but I live good on my moderate 45k. And I have a child. And I'm not receiving any public assistance.

After my rent is paid(on an apoartment I'm NOT sharing with a roommate), I still have money to shop, eat, and get drunk on weekends with my homegirls. I even have a savings account.

And I'm getting ready to move into a bigger apartment.

Ya'll must be bad at managing money.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 PM

Exactly- Younglove! The upper class is so out of touch with reality it seems...Median Household income NYC was 51K last year, that is for a household usually many people, not a just a single. That is the median. But some of the people on here think that everyone who doesn't have a thousand dollars a week leisure money is some poor slob barely getting by...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City