Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:29 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times

Advertisements

Any part of this 13% uptick contributed to the remnants of OWS? I noticed that not all of them went back to their small towns, many just dispersed outwards from Liberty Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 05:52 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
I'm sure the homeless population in NYC will continue to rise as the economy and infrastructure of the US continues to disintegrate and more and more middle and working class people descend into poverty and homelessness.Most of the rise will be from desperate people gravitating towards places like NY,Boston,SF and LA that are relatively homeless friendly compared to most of the US, where there is no sympathy and there are no homeless services.They are coming from the places that are being hollowed out by our crumbling economic system.

On a recent trip back home to Boston I was really surprised at the huge increase in homeless people inhabiting parks and downtown areas.It looked like the homeless scene in SF.Never had that feeling before and the Boston economy is booming.One of the most noticeable things was the age of a lot of them.Years ago it seemed like the vast majority of homeless were older people who had fallen on hard times.Now it seems like the growing majority are much younger.The huge number of people under 30 in this country who have never been able to find full time employment,despite graduating from high school and sometimes with college degrees, is a real ticking time bomb.

It will be interesting to see how long NYC will be able to maintain it's official policy of providing shelter for all.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-22-2013 at 06:14 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,116 times
I think homeless by choice is now a new fad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I'm sure the homeless population in NYC will continue to rise as the economy and infrastructure of the US continues to disintegrate and more and more middle and working class people descend into poverty and homelessness.Most of the rise will be from desperate people gravitating towards places like NY,Boston,SF and LA that are relatively homeless friendly compared to most of the US, where there is no sympathy and there are no homeless services.They are coming from the places that are being hollowed out by our crumbling economic system.

On a recent trip back home to Boston I was really surprised at the huge increase in homeless people inhabiting parks and downtown areas.It looked like the homeless scene in SF.Never had that feeling before and the Boston economy is booming.One of the most noticeable things was the age of a lot of them.Years ago it seemed like the vast majority of homeless were older people who had fallen on hard times.Now it seems like the growing majority are much younger.The huge number of people under 30 in this country who have never been able to find full time employment,despite graduating from high school and sometimes with college degrees, is a real ticking time bomb.

It will be interesting to see how long NYC will be able to maintain it's official policy of providing shelter for all.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

The people who are chronically homeless are NEVER homeless because of the economy. They have issues such as addiction, mental illness, and other social conformity issues. The homeless kids you have at places like union square do not have high school degrees often, no driver's license, and lack other essential skills needed to get by.

A normal, working person who gets laid off will get unemployment, and if they have health issues (that prevent working) they can get disability. Rent, especially renting a room, isn't expensive in most of the country. People are generally willing to help out someone who they think is a decent person. But not willing to enable addicts and free loaders.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Any part of this 13% uptick contributed to the remnants of OWS? I noticed that not all of them went back to their small towns, many just dispersed outwards from Liberty Park.
They're living off the land now maaaaaaaaan...

Old 11-22-2013, 07:51 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Housing costs in NYC keep increasing whilst unemployment and or under employment levels remain high as well. Something has to give and regardless of NYC supposedly being a pro-tenant place, if you cannot pay your rent it is only a matter of time.

Am seeing something one has not seen since the 1980's, more and more homeless in or on the subways. We also see them in the streets and camped out over night sleeping on various church's steps.

What is interesting is if you read some of the signs/placards homeless have put up around themselves (even whilst sleeping on the above mentioned church steps), it is obvious these often are very intelligent people. One man camps out at a church on Park Avenue and 85th Street and not only writes very well, but has lovely block script handwriting.

There are many persons that are homeless because while they do work, apartment rentals that can be paid on their wages are few. With many of the SROs, "short stay" hotels/flop houses and so forth now gone, there isn't really anywhere for someone earning say $30K or under to live in the City.

Also am seeing more persons sleeping or rather living in their cars as well.

Yes, rent keeps skyrocketing, and if you lose that low paying job of yours what are you going to do? With that said I don't see many caucasians, asians or any other nationality walking around homeless, I just see black homeless people, which I have seen my whole life, even when rent was much cheaper.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Yes, rent keeps skyrocketing, and if you lose that low paying job of yours what are you going to do? With that said I don't see many caucasians, asians or any other nationality walking around homeless, I just see black homeless people, which I have seen my whole life, even when rent was much cheaper.
Then you're looking in the wrong places. Go to Union Square. There are many homeless white drug addicts. Ditto Lower East Side, and Chelsea.

With that said, I don't see many homeless Asians either, or many homeless Hispanics.

If you lose that low paying job of yours, you can get at least 6 months of unemployment and rent space in a friend or family member's place. If you aren't a jerk or crackhead someone will take you in. While you're staying with friends or family members be looking for a new job/go back to school/do whatever to improve your life long term.

The people you see who are chronically homeless had other issues (many of them also have criminal pasts).

Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Most of LA's homeless is white and NYWriterdude can attest to this, since he lives there. Most homeless in middle and southern america are white, with the south being somewhat evenly mixed on that issue. Illegals can sometimes live 10 to a studio and I'm not talking about families, but moreso single people trying to save money on rent.

Just wanted to clear that up and there's a reason why most of the homeless in this city are of color now, but no one wants to talk about it.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Most of LA's homeless is white and NYWriterdude can attest to this, since he lives there. Most homeless in middle and southern america are white, with the south being somewhat evenly mixed on that issue. Illegals can sometimes live 10 to a studio and I'm not talking about families, but moreso single people trying to save money on rent.

Just wanted to clear that up and there's a reason why most of the homeless in this city are of color now, but no one wants to talk about it.
In my lifetime at least most of the homeless in NYC have been overwhelmingly Black. I'm 32. There are several components at play there. It has nothing to do with them simply being Black. If that's what some posters are trying to imply they are off-base. It does however have a lot to do with them being Black and being from NYC.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:05 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
In my lifetime at least most of the homeless in NYC have been overwhelmingly Black. I'm 32. There are several components at play there. It has nothing to do with them simply being Black. If that's what some posters are trying to imply they are off-base. It does however have a lot to do with them being Black and being from NYC.
Crack hit NYC in the early to mid 80s, so the destruction began right around the time you were born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City