Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 08:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
People of all races are partaking in the knockout game and victims have been all races.
All races have been involved as victims and as criminals, but the knockout game is still concentrated in certain cities and in certain areas. In NYC the majority of knockouts have been in Brooklyn, for example. Its concentrated in certain bad areas that always had random violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:12 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im not sure how knowledgeable you are
Moreso than most here, I dare say!
Quote:
plenty of kids and women in these poor high crime neighborhoods assist criminals with carrying firearms and illegal contraband. Stop and frisk csn easily be walked around by criminal scum and dregs of society that associate with criminals.
Really? I'm shocked! Shocked, that criminals would seek to conceal evidence of crime, and be deterred by police activity from directly bearing weapons and transporting drugs.
Quote:
Should cops stop and frisk 5 year old Tyrone? Or 40 year old Sharkesia?
I leave it to the trained and experienced officers on the street, to make their observations, and subsequently explain their justifications, to a supposedly neutral & impartial magistrate.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Im not sure how knowledgeable you are, but plenty of kids and women in these poor high crime neighborhoods assist criminals with carrying firearms and illegal contraband. Stop and frisk csn easily be walked around by criminal scum and dregs of society that associate with criminals. Should cops stop and frisk 5 year old Tyrone? Or 40 year old Sharkesia?

Afrika Owes Private School Arrested Drugs Guns Gangs | News One
Officers will stop and frisk Tyrone and "Sharkesia' (where did you come up with that one, LOL) if comes to their attention that they are running whatever illegal contraband for whatever criminal group. ACS would take Tyrone from his parents, while the lady would go to women's prison.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
"Sharkesia' (where did you come up with that one, LOL)
He wasn't creative enough to envision the given name "Africa".

Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post

Scenario: Street robberies have been occurring in a minority neighborhood. Descriptions provided have been young black males. Anti-crime officers in unmarked cars are patrolling neighborhood and notice several YBMs, who appear to be assessing potential robbery victims (older, alone, carrying items), occasionally following those people; some appear to be lookouts.
What should the officers do? SQF? Or wait for a robbery to occur, and try to chase & apprehend the robbers after the fact?

Unfortunately, some here will view you as an apologist as best, complicit at worst.
Be safe.
Okay, the above scenario is a constitutional use of Stop and Frisk.

The judge who ruled against Bloomberg's version of Stop and Frisk didn't actually propose ending stop and frisk. She did say you can't stop and frisk someone because of their race, or because of their appearance (they have tattoos, wear baggy clothes) According to her, it is perfectly constitutional to stop and frisk people suspected of having already committed a crime (running away from a bank robbery, those who have been caught doing a crime, and those who seriously appear to be about to commit a crime). Some thugs following people and who appear to be assessing victims qualify as someone whose about to commit a crime. So they can be stopped and frisked, under this JUDGES ruling (she was removed from the case).

Its also illegal to loiter. So some people standing out in front of an apartment building or on the corner at 3am, its fair game to stop and question them as well.

Now some person is just walking down the street and there's no evidence they've done anything, it is wrong and unconstitutional to search them. There is no reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

Recall that the last judge required a certain amount of NYPD to carry cameras. In the end, De Blasio will have to modify stop and frisk per federal court rulings and refocus it on blatantly shady behavior (such as thugs following people scoping them out). If the NYPD actually filmed such terrible behavior it would help in the criminal conviction of actual criminals, and discourage random stopping of people based on appearance.

I don't like certain aspects of Bloomberg's stop and frisk, but I do think if the police presence in the city were neutralized, things like the knockout games would get much worse. Nor would I want NYC or any city in this country to return to the late 80s/early 90s crack era.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
"The worst thing the black liberal community ever did for themselves since civil rights was become an automatic puppet vote for the democrat party. When a politician can take your vote for granted as if its a freebie, then you will NEVER be the focus of beneficial change." –Wayne Dupree
There's no way the current Republican party is looking for the Black vote, so this is a mutual thing.

You did have Blacks vote Republican in numbers until the 60s. After Johnson, a Democrat, signed the civil rights bill, you had massive Southern white KKK Democrats switch over to being Republicans. Nixon used the Southern strategy to get this vote. That's the current base of the Republican party. Notice Republicans haven't done well recently among Asians or Hispanics, and increasingly don't do so well among white women.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Sharkesia came from some video that hit the internet this week.

http://djsdoingwork.com/2013/11/30/s...s-viral-video/

Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Okay, the above scenario is a constitutional use of Stop and Frisk.
Quote:
The judge who ruled against Bloomberg's version of Stop and Frisk didn't actually propose ending stop and frisk.
That point has been lost, amongst all the posturing & rhetoric.
Quote:
She did say you can't stop and frisk someone because of their race, or because of their appearance (they have tattoos, wear baggy clothes) According to her, it is perfectly constitutional to stop and frisk people suspected of having already committed a crime (running away from a bank robbery, those who have been caught doing a crime, and those who seriously appear to be about to commit a crime). Some thugs following people and who appear to be assessing victims qualify as someone whose about to commit a crime. So they can be stopped and frisked, under this JUDGES ruling
This point has also been lost.
Quote:
Now some person is just walking down the street and there's no evidence they've done anything, it is wrong and unconstitutional to search them. There is no reasonable suspicion or probable cause.
Defenders of S&F claim that this does not happen. Others claim that this is all that happens. As with many hings, the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes.
Quote:
modify stop and frisk per federal court rulings and refocus it on blatantly shady behavior (such as thugs following people scoping them out). If the NYPD actually filmed such terrible behavior it would help in the criminal conviction of actual criminals, and discourage random stopping of people based on appearance.
The NYPD should dump the "Best of" onto Youtube. Of course, that would be criticized, as violating the right of privacy for the thugs being filmed.
Quote:
if the police presence in the city were neutralized, things like the knockout games would get much worse. Nor would I want NYC or any city in this country to return to the late 80s/early 90s crack era.
No rational person wants the Bad Old Days, even those who liked a "grittier" New York. The question is, whether the crime reductions and safer streets can be maintained by less intrusive methods, or less frequent intrusions.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You really do allow your anger to get the best of you. I fail to understand your justification for blatantly making this up. Wouldn't the better tact simply be to ignore that person?
I have. A few times. This isn't the only thread where the person has done this. I just didn't feel like ignoring the person this time. As far as "anger", I'm not even mad at the person. I consider them pathetic beyond words and a coward.

What I don't understand is if you don't like me, why keep bringing up my name every chance you get?

If you see I'm not responding to you, then why keep speaking to me through other people? Are you this much of a lonely socially awkward dweeb in your personal life? Like, WTF is wrong with you where you "need" this attention from someone who clearly doesn't want to be bothered?

Now, I'm going to go back to ignoring this person and they're going to bring up my name again several more times to see if I respond again. Watch.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:43 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

What I find very disturbing with this video is that there are some people actually co-signing sucker punching someone rather than giving them a chance to see it coming.

It seems like a generation of punks have been raised. It also seems like jumping a person with two or more people is the way to go now as well. When I was coming up, jumping was not allowed and others stepped in to make sure the fight stayed one on one. There are even videos where male teens are actually jumping in to fight for a female that's losing a fight. Now, this is when a box cutter or gun would have came in handy.

Someone sent me a video of a hispanic girl walking home with her mother that got into a fight with some hoodrats. These animals didn't even have the decency to respect the fact that the girl was with her mom. The mother was trying to break it up and one of the low lives was taping the entire altercation. Of course, the mother didn't report it as I'm assuming she was not here legally, but I was thoroughly disgusted. They said it happened in Harlem somewhere.

I was raised at a time where you didn't turn your back on people you were having arguments with, because you never knew what could happen. You trust NO ONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City