Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:14 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
True. The thread almost ran to a second part.
Did he ever come back on the forum to post an update?

Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Did he ever come back on the forum to post an update?
IDK, i followed that thread a little in the beginning.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:23 PM

5,138 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ggestions.html

Here was Marilyn's response:

Why do you keep pushing people to shelters? Lol. You should start one called Marilyn's House.

Good point, Seventh bro. In Mr. marylyn's little world, pointing troubled ppl to finding a job and becoming self-sufficient is not being helpful. By default, she directs ppl to all shelters, and preferablly, calling 311 first to find out if the 5-start shelters still have any vacancy before going lower...

Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ggestions.html

Here was Marilyn's response:

Why do you keep pushing people to shelters? Lol. You should start one called Marilyn's House.
Unfortunaly Marilyn is a welfare enabler.
I'm all for welfare for the needy but a 19 yr old kid shouldn't be encouraged to go into a shelter where she could risk getting harmed by people with much bigger problems.
Going to a shelter should be her very last resort, and not the first thing to consider after her current living situation changes.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Unfortunaly Marilyn is a welfare enabler.
I'm all for welfare for the needy but a 19 yr old kid shouldn't be encouraged to go into a shelter where she could risk getting harmed by people with much bigger problems.
Devil's advocate - or someone who lives very very far away and does not get it, as has been suggested several times ...

Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 PM

All of this said, if the OP has a set of particulars that require specific help, s/he should post again.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Sing View Post
Hello All,

I am a college student. I'm currently staying at my friend's mother's house because I was kicked out of MY mother's house. This is not the first time, probably the 3rd or 4th time. I'm only 19 years old, and I've been moving from place to place since I was about 16 or 17 years old. I'm officially tired of having an unstable life because I have to worry about school. It is bad enough my situation has already somewhat affected my school life. It's so stressful.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone know about any shelters that I can go to in New York for women and/or college students. I don't have any kids, which is even more difficult because most shelters that are somewhat decent and/or somewhat helpful are family shelters. Not many shelters help single adults without children from what I heard. I want to find a shelter that can eventually help me find an apartment and a job perhaps, temporary or not. I don't have a job, but I am and have been searching for one for a while now.

I'm just simply trying to get my life together because my friend's mother is moving down south some time next year, so my time is limited.

Thanks
What kinds of jobs have you been looking for? How are you applying for them? Does your school have a career services office and have you made an appointment? Do you have a resume and have you asked for feedback on it? Here is a sample "no work experience - college student" resume "No Work Experience" Resume Example

Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM

5,138 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

She's 19 years old and you're telling her to get a JOB and rent a "room" as if $7.25 an hour working less than 20 hours a week will be able to pay her rent.

Then you say she should "save up" for an apartment as if she'll find a place that will actually rent to her.

I'm really surprised at you Seventh. Really, I am.

Anyway, I PM'd her some info. She'll be fine.

Marilyn, you were probably born with a gigantic endowment, but numerous self-made people started out this way or worse than this. Why don't you donate part of your endowment to support these 19 yo who are too good to work instead of directing to the shelters?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:10 PM

Forgot to mention - Whole Foods cashier salaries are not $7.25 an hour, but $11 or $12 and more if you do a different job. "Team Leader" something just over $20 an hour. Not a fortune by any means, but not $7.25 either. This would support a rented room in a boring but decent neighborhood.

I have a few students who work there and know a few more.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,116 times
I don't understand how this situation is different from hundreds of thousands of 18 yr olds that go away to college every year, except may be she doesn't go home for thanksgiving.

You are going to school. That's great. Make sure it is for something that can be utilized when you get out and you're not stuck in the same situation, just with $50k of student debt. It sounds like you have a (free) roof over your head for the time being. Get a job and save money.

My best suggestion....MOVE. I would not want to be living in NYC on $9 / hour. This can easily be done in many college towns. I went to a very good university, and lived on about $200 / week. Had six people in an apartment, four guys in two bunk beds in one room. And you know what? It was the best years of my life.

People recommending you to shelters b/c you had a 'troubled' past is insane. INSANE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: