Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,414,033 times

Advertisements

what's so hip about them is what I'd like to know.
they're just a new trendy generation of people
that follow each other around and take over
ghettos. they're not really anyone special to me.
they just pay more to live in the same neighborhood
and make it harder for people who can't pay as much
to find housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:15 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,326,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
they just pay more to live in the same neighborhood
and make it harder for people who can't pay as much
to find housing.
Why can't some people pay as much to find housing while others can? Is it strictly the lack of having the ability to educate yourself to provide for your family in order to have some sort of upward mobility generation after generation?

Old 12-06-2013, 09:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Why can't some people pay as much to find housing while others can? Is it strictly the lack of having the ability to educate yourself to provide for your family in order to have some sort of upward mobility generation after generation?
Except hipsters [usually] don't have families; three adults living as roommates in a 3 bedroom earning a decent salary can afford to pay more for an apartment than a family of four, who have more expenses and less earners.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:22 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,333,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The city has changed in terms of what types of employment you can get. The "normal" people you look to one day come back to Brooklyn won't be back. Industrial jobs have fled Brooklyn, and so have shipping and a lot of back office jobs too.

The city makes more money off fields like education, tourism, media, and tech these days.
Not sure where I read this but the tech industry in NYC is now the second largest industry. Finance is still first, but probably not by much and surely not for long.

Those hipster types that people around here love to hate largely dominate the tech field. Also, contray to popular belief, lots of them are indeed native born. They just have a look that is custom for their segment. Just like "ghetto" people tend to have a look, young tech savvy people will also have a look. They use Macs, drink lots of coffee, listen to obscure bands, style their hair a certain way and wear their clothes a certain way. To outsiders, thats a hipster.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:

yeah, but you also know that no matter how much you know,
certain people will make more money than you regardless,
and all banks and landlords care about is cheese.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except hipsters [usually] don't have families; three adults living as roommates in a 3 bedroom earning a decent salary can afford to pay more for an apartment than a family of four, who have more expenses and less earners.
That is smart of them to not start families without the proper resources to take on the responsibility of supporting them. My one hipster friend here in Ridgewood happens to have a family. So some do. I also have another friend with a good salary in Greenpoint that shares a three bedroom with others. She's probably putting money in the bank and will always be able to out bid some native that started having kids at 18 with no income.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
yeah, but you also know that no matter how much you know,
certain people will make more money than you regardless,
and all banks and landlords care about is cheese.
I guess, but I still think it comes down to education. We've been educating (or providing lack of that) to many locals for manufacturing jobs that are leaving the city. Not for this so called new tech boom taking place in NYC. There is a disconnect, and talent needs to be brought in from elsewhere for businesses to compete.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:49 AM

^ o well. it doesn't matter to me. i see what's going on. it's not
like there's anything I can do to stop it, so life goes on. you can
just go ahead and keep on laughing.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,003,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not at all true. You see many families now living in Chelsea, Williamsburg, and other hip neighborhoods. As soon as they establish themselves in their careers, many hipsters do have kids.

The three adults living in a three bedroom apartment haven't gotten to where they want to be in their careers, so that's why they are still living like that.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,333,941 times
Quote:
I guess, but I still think it comes down to education. We've been educating (or providing lack of that) to many locals for manufacturing jobs that are leaving the city. Not for this so called new tech boom taking place in NYC. There is a disconnect, and talent needs to be brought in from elsewhere for businesses to compete.
I agree. The industries that are dominating and growing in NYC require specific education credentials. And as I mentioned before, even natives that follow this path get indoctrinated into what is viewed as a hipster culture. This happens starting with college. I know this woman who is from Sarret City/ENY. My jaw nearly dropped when she told me where she grew up because you would never in a million years think ENY when you look at her. She is the a archetype for black female hipster. While she doesn't work in tech it's not surprising that she went to an out of state liberal arts college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City