Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 PM

229 posts, read 232,486 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know what the native born Brooklynites think of the hipsters living in their neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
My family have lived in Brooklyn since the 1880s.

For the most part, I don't personally like hipsters, but I see them as serving a purpose. They're cleaning up neighborhoods, and hopefully when they leave, "normal" people replace them and the neighborhoods do not revert into their previous state.

They're a net-plus for Brooklyn as a whole, although I'd pay a fee to never have to see or hear them.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
The population don't really bother me, being a native I have plenty of interaction with this segment of our population. Hipsters (native or transplanted) add a particular demographics into an area which would of lacked it because an area was deemed unpleasant by locals or people of other cultures. By demographics, I mean it in the ethno-social-cultural terms. What follows is newer development, interests, storefronts and restaurants into a settled area.

I do believe in the not too distant future, let's say 2-3 years from now you will see a heavier presence in the Brooklyn interior, and segments settling into new areas. Eastern Bushwick, eastern Bed stuy and Ocean Hill and possibly Cypress Hills north. Time will tell, don't laugh. My crystal ball never lies. I'm 8/10 so far.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:57 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
I'm not a brooklynite, but I'm from right on the other side of the border. From my perspective, hipsters are adding diversity to brooklyn. It's not just straight ghetto anymore. That's a good thing.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It's not just straight ghetto anymore. That's a good thing.
Admittedly, Brooklyn on the Queens border hasn't been good since like, the 1950s, but that doesn't make all of Brooklyn "ghetto". South/Southwest Brooklyn has never been ghetto, other than like, Coney Island.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Admittedly, Brooklyn on the Queens border hasn't been good since like, the 1950s, but that doesn't make all of Brooklyn "ghetto". South/Southwest Brooklyn has never been ghetto, other than like, Coney Island.
I know, but I pretty much stereotype all of brooklyn based on what's by the queens border because that's the part I know best and it's the part my family is from. I know nothing about south brooklyn. It's probably more in common with my part of queens than the north part of brooklyn. It's just that you got to travel through miles and miles of ghetto to get to each other.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 AM

483 posts, read 870,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I know, but I pretty much stereotype all of brooklyn based on what's by the queens border because that's the part I know best and it's the part my family is from. I know nothing about south brooklyn. It's probably more in common with my part of queens than the north part of brooklyn. It's just that you got to travel through miles and miles of ghetto to get to each other.
You're stereotyping Brooklyn based on limited knowledge. Parts of borough like Greenpoint & Brooklyn Heights AIN'T ghetto.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:46 AM

229 posts, read 232,486 times
I'm a native of Brooklyn myself and you all have valid points.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
You're stereotyping Brooklyn based on limited knowledge. Parts of borough like Greenpoint & Brooklyn Heights AIN'T ghetto.
I realized that I stereotype Brooklyn as ghetto based from where in Queens I am from. The crimes that are committed on the Queens side of the border overwhelmingly tend to be acted out by those from the Brooklyn side of the border. I know that Brooklyn Heights is nice and overpriced, but to get there I have to go through miles and miles of Brooklyn ghetto first. As for Greenpoint, it had more in common with LIC and Maspeth than with the rest of Brooklyn. At least until the hipster invasion.

Overall, compare crime and poverty rates between Brooklyn and Queens. I think its justified for someone in Queens to call Brooklyn ghetto.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
My family have lived in Brooklyn since the 1880s.

For the most part, I don't personally like hipsters, but I see them as serving a purpose. They're cleaning up neighborhoods, and hopefully when they leave, "normal" people replace them and the neighborhoods do not revert into their previous state.

They're a net-plus for Brooklyn as a whole, although I'd pay a fee to never have to see or hear them.

The city has changed in terms of what types of employment you can get. The "normal" people you look to one day come back to Brooklyn won't be back. Industrial jobs have fled Brooklyn, and so have shipping and a lot of back office jobs too.

The city makes more money off fields like education, tourism, media, and tech these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City