Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:00 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times

Advertisements

Developers initially promised that The Crossings would have a residential component, but scrapped that plan when 'big box' retailers showed no interest in setting up shop at the Hunts Point site

Original rendering of The Crossings, a retail and housing development planned for Hunts Point Ave. at the intersection of Southern and Bruckner Blvds. The Prusik Group, the site's developer, had trouble finding large retailers to fill the space and had to give up plans to build more than 130 residential units.

Seafood, yes.
But South Bronx residents will have to do without a residential component planned for a South Bronx development site.
A two-story retail center featuring a massive 9,000-square-foot Red Lobster will break ground in Hunts Point this year.
The developer scrapped plans for a mixed-use housing complex above the stores, making the project less appetizing to some residents.
“The housing should have been built,” said Miriam Maldonado, 57, a Soundview resident and frequent shopper on Southern Blvd. “It’s out of control.”
Developers at the Prusik Group are set to demolish a BP gas station that currently stands on the corner of 163rd St. and Southern Blvd. to make way for the 40,000-square-foot shopping center, dubbed “The Crossings.”

The project, which has been in the works for nearly four years, has been significantly downgraded due to a lack of interest from larger retailers.
“The market saw some tough times and the plan was forced to change with the times,” Andrew Katz, the co-founder of the Prusik Group, said.

Updatee rendering of The Crossings, a 40,000 square foot retail center slated to open at the intersection of Hunts Point Ave. and Bruckner and Southern Blvds.

The original plans endorsed by Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. in 2010 and approved by City Council called for an eight-story tower to be erected above the two-floor retail site with 138 residential units and a total of 250,000 square-feet of mixed-use space.
“We are happy there’s an interest in development in the Bronx,” said a spokesman for Diaz, John DeSio. “But we’re disappointed that this project that was supposed to be something transformative has not panned out the way we expected.”
The project went through a public review in 2010 that allowed the property to be rezoned for residential use.
Now, the site will feature a Deals discount store, a McDonalds and a 312-seat Red Lobster. Developers had hoped to secure larger box stores, similar to those at the Gateway Plaza Center, to offset the cost of building the residential units.
When that didn’t pan out, plans were altered and investors settled for the two-story retail center now scheduled to be built.
Members of the local community board say the developers have kept them abreast of the restructuring over the past three years.
“This group was very honest with us,” Community Board 2 District Manager Ralph Salamanca said. “They just didn’t have the ability to build the original proposal.”
But it remains to be seen if others will come around. “People don’t have jobs,” Maldonado said. “But we have new malls popping up all over.”

A new mall in the South Bronx will feature a huge Red Lobster and a McDonalds -- but no housing * - NY Daily News

I can't wait to see how the Bronx cleaners try to spruce this one up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Would rather Havana Central and Pio Pio than Red Lobster.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,422,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I can't wait to see how the Bronx cleaners try to spruce this one up.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

This seems like very good news for one of the roughest parts of the South Bronx. Why is it bad news?

Old 01-05-2014, 04:18 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

This seems like very good news for one of the roughest parts of the South Bronx. Why is it bad news?
You'll see. They'll be here shortly.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:21 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,545,238 times
It's not bad news. This is one of many new malls or shopping centers coming to our boro. we all know about the bay plaza extension and there will be 2 other ones (riverdale crossing and broadway plaza) which i'm excited about. I always wondered what it was driving down the deegan and i'm glad we are being given more options. I have to agree, Pio Pio has great food and its something different in our area. Yes, i like their biscuits, but how many Red Lobsters do we REALLY need to have around here? Change is good. Some other restaurants/cafes/eatery etc will be good to have in the bx.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,422,308 times
I mean, yeah, I would prefer some nice independent restaurants instead of chains, and the added housing units would be better, but it still seems like a nice project. Certainly much better than a vacant lot.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:13 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Independent restaurants are the best of course, but this is still a great development.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM

77 posts, read 133,821 times
Interestingly, I just replied to a thread on gentrification in The Bronx earlier.

I'm certainly not a champion of big box retail, but any development in that part of town should be treated as a good thing. Should be interesting to see if the increase in commercial activity drives up residential demand in the surrounding area.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
It's middle-income gentrification in the Bronx. It's a start, however. That corner has huge potential to be the crossroads of Longwood and Hunts Point.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-05-2014, 11:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
This mall sure seems lackluster. Deals, McDonalds, and Red Lobster? Surely there's more, or why is this even news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City