Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:14 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
Background: I have been renting in the building for 3 years, its a co-op building and each apartment is owned by a different owner. I currently work freelance from home. Luckily, my owner is very down to earth, great on fixing any problem issues, and is happy that I rent the apartment. I'm on the 2nd floor, and one of my walls is next to the other building that houses a dry cleaners on the first floor; if you are staring at the buildings from the street, my apartment is diagonal from the dry cleaners.

In the three years I've been here, all the noise have been stereotypical apartment noises... I never heard anything from the building next door, as there is two layers of brick walls. All of the sudden, in January, for some unbeknownst reason, I start hearing a constant, low bass, thump, thump, thump. I hear it everyday when I wake up and it continues until around noon, starts back up at around 1 and continues until 4:30 or 5pm.

It happens every day, Mon - Sat. I checked with the neighbor below me who also shares a wall with the dry cleaners and he also started to hear the thump, thump, thump... all day. The dry cleaners are closed on Sunday, and on that day, there is no noise. It's clearly coming from the press machines from the dry cleaners as they have the exact same noise pattern and the employees who work on them go to lunch at around noon and leave at around 4 - 5 pm each day.

Normally, the guy who manages the dry cleaners (not an owner) is very nice, however the two times I have brought up the issue (in the most amenable and polite manner possible), and asked if perhaps they had moved things around, gotten new machines or perhaps cleaned something (they definitely recently cleaned, and it previously looked like a good 30 years of dust piling up in some corners), he was very defensive and said that nothing had changed and that I should deal with it as he is only the manager.

I have a small studio and cannot escape the noise. I hear it in the bathroom as well, even when taking a shower. The noise can also be heard in the first floor hallway when the machines are working. As I work from home and cannot work elsewhere, the noise is impeding with my ability to work.

Any advice as to how to best proceed?

Move very simple-- you live next to a commercial establishment you are going to hear noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM

118 posts, read 201,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Move very simple-- you live next to a commercial establishment you are going to hear noise.
There wasn't noise before, so... also, why do I have to accept the noise when they are in violation of the noise codes??

Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
There wasn't noise before, so... also, why do I have to accept the noise when they are in violation of the noise codes??

At this point you do not know for sure that they are in violation of the noise ordinance, you are just hoping they are.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
At this point you do not know for sure that they are in violation of the noise ordinance, you are just hoping they are.
If I can hear it everyday, from the 2nd floor, with no common walls, through 2 exterior brick walls, they are in violation.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:

You keep saying there was no noise before-- and you know what that really does not matter at all. What matters is if the noise being generated now is in violation of the noise ordinance only---- I do not think you
really know that. I think you will be shocked as to how loud they can be and still be in compliance, You really need to find out who in the city you can report this to then follow up with them until you know the results. If you are right then the noise will be abated for a while anyway and if you are wrong then you move. The city will come right into your apartment where the noise is and have a measuring device so you should get a good indication of how solid your case is right away.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
You keep saying there was no noise before-- and you know what that really does not matter at all. What matters is if the noise being generated now is in violation of the noise ordinance only---- I do not think you
really know that. I think you will be shocked as to how loud they can be and still be in compliance, You really need to find out who in the city you can report this to then follow up with them until you know the results. If you are right then the noise will be abated for a while anyway and if you are wrong then you move. The city will come right into your apartment where the noise is and have a measuring device so you should get a good indication of how solid your case is right away.
I'll also have my downstairs neighbor who has been hearing it write a testimonial, I will also ask the other downstairs neighbors that share a common wall. You can hear the damn noise from the wall next to the staircase on the first floor!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I'll also have my downstairs neighbor who has been hearing it write a testimonial, I will also ask the other downstairs neighbors that share a common wall. You can hear the damn noise from the wall next to the staircase on the first floor!

None of that matters until the man shows up with the noise meter and sees if it is in compliance. The problem is they have to catch them in the act. Nobody cares what your neighbor thinks. He that has the
meter from the city is the only one that matters and you have a right to ask them to come out and measure it.

Remember the owner of the dry cleaners has rights too--- that is why levels are established and I bet even if they are in compliance you will complain

Old 02-04-2014, 05:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
No, we aren't in the same building, it's the building next door. And yes, as far as I know, there are two brick walls between us (I could be wrong, and there might be less than two). As I mentioned, the noise can also be heard in the first floor. As I mentioned previously, the noise recently started, so clearly something changed...

Then I am guessing something must literally be BANGING against the dry cleaner wall.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Umm....any update?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Umm....any update?
Not yet. Will update when I have news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City