Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:25 PM

126 posts, read 156,841 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm moving to NYC in September.
I'll be attending film school and living in a student residence which will be paid for a full year, they have a gym, satellite TV, etc...
So I have $1300 per month for food, transportation and other expenses.

Is this enough to survive in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:28 PM

338 posts, read 677,259 times
That should be plenty of money.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
That should be plenty of money.
Seriously? After so many things I've read about New York being expensive, I thought it was little money.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 PM

338 posts, read 677,259 times
Rent is what's expensive--people pay a much greater percentage of their paycheck toward rent than in other parts of the country. But my non-living expenses (i.e., groceries, transportation, laundry, going out for drinks, etc.) comes well under $1000 every month. Just don't go crazy, you should be fine.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswastedlife View Post
Seriously? After so many things I've read about New York being expensive, I thought it was little money.
First all, the internet dramatically exaggerates how expensive NYC is. Especially some of the bitter members of this forum. Second, the most expensive thing about NYC is rent. If you have $1300 left over a month after rent and utilities, you should be fine. Unless you plan at eating at some expensive chic bar/restaurant every day, partying every weekend, and shopping non-stop. If none of the aforementioned activities describe you, than you should be fine. Just don't go crazy and budget your expenses.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Will your student residence have a kitchen? That should help you save some money on food. Otherwise, eating out all the time would get kind of expensive.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Will your student residence have a kitchen? That should help you save some money on food. Otherwise, eating out all the time would get kind of expensive.
Thank you for all your responses.

And yes, it does have a kitchen. You mean it's cheaper if I buy groceries and make my own food?
Which grocery store do you recommend?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswastedlife View Post
Thank you for all your responses.

And yes, it does have a kitchen. You mean it's cheaper if I buy groceries and make my own food?
Which grocery store do you recommend?
It can be cheaper sometimes. If you plan to make a big fancy dinner for one, it's not always cheaper if your homemade meal requires buying a lot of ingredients.

However, if you pack yourself a homemade tuna sandwich and a piece of fruit for lunch (or something like that) every day, it's usually cheaper than getting the same sort of option at a sandwich shop.

I would have to know the general vicinity of the residence before recommending a grocery store. Even then, I might not have one to recommend since I don't live in Manhattan.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It can be cheaper sometimes. If you plan to make a big fancy dinner for one, it's not always cheaper if your homemade meal requires buying a lot of ingredients.

However, if you pack yourself a homemade tuna sandwich and a piece of fruit for lunch (or something like that) every day, it's usually cheaper than getting the same sort of option at a sandwich shop.

I would have to know the general vicinity of the residence before recommending a grocery store. Even then, I might not have one to recommend since I don't live in Manhattan.
Thanks for the advice. The residence is located in midtown Manhattan (Hell's Kitchen I think).

Old 02-04-2014, 06:04 PM

343 posts, read 1,092,921 times
1300 for eating & entertainment..you're golden you'll have a BLAST! Some ppl don't make 1300 a month lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: