Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Percentage of Starting Income Spent on Rent + Utilities
< 30% of Take-Home Pay 5 38.46%
30-35% of Take-Home Pay 1 7.69%
35-40% of Take-Home Pay 1 7.69%
40-45% of Take-Home Pay 2 15.38%
45-50% of Take-Home Pay 1 7.69%
50-55% of Take-Home Pay 3 23.08%
> 55% of Take-Home Pay 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 AM

23 posts, read 152,412 times

Advertisements

The general rule is that you should spend no more than a third of your take-home pay on this stuff. Are the rules different in NYC?

I would like to know how much everyone spent on rent + utilities while starting out in NYC. Obviously if you started out making 60K and now make 500K, the 500K is not a good representation of someone starting out in NYC...vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,250 times
When I was starting out, I spent close to half my take-home on rent and utils. It's a personal choice - I wanted to live in a nice neighborhood, a friend of mine had gotten a nice place and was looking for a roommate, and I was working long hours so I didn't want a long commute either professionally or socially for the limited free time I had. I could also cut back on eating/drinking out in any given month if I needed to. Other people have a different view, and will prefer to de-prioritize their apt/neighborhood needs in favor of going out more (or to fancier places) or shopping more. That's OK too. It's your discretionary spending, so do what makes you happy.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,469 times
i pay about 48% of my monthly income on rent/utilities. kinda rough, but I get by and its worth it. I love my apt.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
My parents did a good enough job of beating a 25% rule into my head that I don't think I have ever violated it,even when I first came to NY a long time ago.No more than 25% on the roof(including all utilities) over your head and at least 10% into savings no matter what.
I have never had a problem with this.It forced me to be realistic about where I would live which forced me to dig into NY and explore other than trendy neighborhoods.It has led me to a very comfortable place in life where I own my apartment and could retire now at a young(well,relatively) age if I wanted too.I have never felt deprived,travel a lot and go out as much as i want.
I thank my parents frequently( in my mind as they are both dead) for this wisdom because I have too many friends in NY who have spent 50% of their incomes on rent,etc their whole lives and saved nothing.They are facing grim retirements.
What percentage of your income you choose to spend on shelter and savings today will turn out to be the most important factor(other than health) in the quality of later life.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:06 AM

963 posts, read 2,301,698 times
I think for most New Yorkers, spending close to 50% of their monthly income on housing is out of necessity. If you have a family, the husband and wife must work. One salary pays the mortgage or rent, the other pays the car note, insurance, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City