Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 2,872 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! So my fiance and I are moving to New York in the next month, and I need some advice on where to look for places. We are looking for a 2 bed and looking for rent around 3k. We are both 27, and I will most likely be traveling into Manhattan for work. He will be traveling around the area and on Long Island for meetings, so he will have a car. I know that is the worst idea, having a car will be the worst part I think but he will need to keep it for those traveling days.

We have been told that Williamsburg is nice, as well as Park Slope. Any other areas you would recommend? We used to live in Chicago, and right now we are moving from Denver. We like the artsy neighborhoods, but we are also ok with moving to a more "family" area that is nicer and quieter. We want to be able to walk to some coffee shops or places to eat. We also have two dogs, I know a lot of places aren't super dog friendly so I don't know if that is a big issue or not.

Any advice is welcome! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 11:40 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Park Slope is gorgeous and Williamsburg is exciting.

The only problem is your husband is going to be driving everywhere and the traffic around Brooklyn is terrible. Especially if he's doing a lot of business in Long Island. He will suffer. And coming home in the evening and finding a parking space in Park Slope? Good luck. Don't know about Williamsburg.

You might want to consider getting a place in boring Queens. You could find a place near the subway or the Long Island Railroad for your commute to Manhattan, and he would be a hop, skip and a jump to Long Island. Of course a place with parking would make a huge difference for him. An instead of 3K, you might get something for 2K.

On weekends, when there is no traffic, you could spend time driving to all the interesting Brooklyn neighborhoods.

I know some people like the excitement right at their doorstep. But for me and my then finance, we were perfectly happy doing nothing much between Sunday night and Thursday night. And there are good local restaurants everywhere.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:57 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Why dont you look at Queens?

Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
3000 dollars a month rent smh..

you might as well live in bk heights somewhere
and jump on the b.q.e.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
I would echo the sentiment to look at Queens. There are more driving options to Long Island, and you can still find a place relatively close to Manhattan in your price range. I would look at Astoria and Long Island City which has the liveliness you're seeking, (Astoria has both an influx of artists as well as family oriented). The issue with Brooklyn to Long Island driving wise, is it would quickly become a logistical nightmare. Your only 2 options are the Belt Parkway or the BQE, both of which can become parking lots at any given time.

You can also look into Woodside and Jackson Heights which both have a lot of ethnic restaurants to choose from.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
There are only a few nabes in Queens that are all of walkable and commuter friendly to Manhattan.

OP did not say if the husband will be in LI all the time, and whose convenience gets the higher priority.

If OP is the priority, she can look at Astoria, Sunnyside, Jackson Hts. (historic district) in Queens. Street parking is hard to find in most of Queens but I know there are a couple of parking garages available in Jackson Hts. If you want to walk to cafes to eat, these would be the neighborhoods to consider albeit Brooklyn is much better in dining.

If husband is the priority, she can look at Bayside, Little Neck or Douglaston. There are limited walkable dining options in these places but they can drive to either Bell Blvd. or Great Neck Plaza for these activities.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Queens also has much lower car insurance than Brooklyn, especially if you do not have a garage for the car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-24-2014, 01:25 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Your only 2 options are the Belt Parkway or the BQE, both of which can become parking lots at any given time.
And the Jackie Robinson (Interboro).

Old 02-24-2014, 02:46 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
And the Jackie Robinson (Interboro).
Only if you live in the right corner of Brooklyn. Don't think anyone looking to spend $3k/month in rent is planning to live in Ocean Hill...

Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Only if you live in the right corner of Brooklyn. Don't think anyone looking to spend $3k/month in rent is planning to live in Ocean Hill...
Or bottom left corner of Queens. I use the Jackie all the time. It comes in handy, much more so than the BQE does. Matter of fact I can get to the Jackie, the LIE and the Belt all relatively quickly. Around me the OP can probably rent an entire rowhouse on his budget and still be walking distance to the "artsy" L train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City