Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:45 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,432,447 times

Advertisements

Ok everybody relax. The smoker may not know that it is going out into the hallway. If you bring it to his attention you COULD BE helping him out and he will Thank You for it.

Some people are careless when they do it. If he is one of them then yeah screw him if he doesn't want to compromise with you. However if you mention to him that you don't care what he does but to please try to keep it in his apartment there are measures HE can do so it won't be a burden. He could smoke out of an open window or in a certain area of the apartment that is away from the hallway.

Don''t tattle tale though unless he is a jerk about it. Always try the nice approach first.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 AM

912 posts, read 2,100,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Ok everybody relax. The smoker may not know that it is going out into the hallway. If you bring it to his attention you COULD BE helping him out and he will Thank You for it.

Some people are careless when they do it. If he is one of them then yeah screw him if he doesn't want to compromise with you. However if you mention to him that you don't care what he does but to please try to keep it in his apartment there are measures HE can do so it won't be a burden. He could smoke out of an open window or in a certain area of the apartment that is away from the hallway.

Don''t tattle tale though unless he is a jerk about it. Always try the nice approach first.

Good Luck
I agree. I would ask them nicely to blow it out the window or do it in a different area of apartment.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
If you're planning on leaving soon I think its not even worth it to say anything. Not everyone reacts politely to neighbors making requests. It sounds like you don't talk to your neighbor or anything, so that makes it a bit potentially touchy.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:42 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
I had such neighbors in a next door apt. several years ago but they have long left the building. At the time, I just ignored it.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:16 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
OP,

Would you prefer he switched to Lucky Strikes? Or stogies?
You smelled it TWICE: good lord, I think you should move out, because if you stay, you might be on heroin by Spring.

I could recommend methods for caulking and weather stripping your apartment and even over-pressuring your place slightly so that air infiltration is only OUT, but I get the impression you'd rather complain instead.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:35 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,504 times
"Occasionally I smell weed in my EXTRA ROOM" is one of the least relatable problems I have seen posted here.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Pretty gutsy to be out smoking like that. A few years ago, if somebody reports pot smoking the guy would been arrested by now. I guess the cops don't care about it anymore.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
there is nothing you can do because it it their apt. you must seal up every crack, that't your job.

alos on a side note, we have tenants on the first fllor that smoke weed, we are friends with them, but the halls up to my floor, 4th, reek.
So kidding arounf i said, girl, I am high as a kite by the time i get to the 4th, maybe you can do your thing near the back window....she said, I didnt know the halls smelled....they are a nice couple, a little "out there", but none the less nice to me, so i dont care...

problem solved.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 AM

157 posts, read 347,662 times
This thread is beyond hilarious. It's a little weed. Get over it. There are a lot of people who smoke, especially in a decriminalized state like New York (note how I said decriminalized, not legalized). If it's bothering you, just go knock on his door one day and see if you can have a polite conversation. Stoners are typically laid-back, nice people (in my experience). They most likely don't know the smell is creeping into your SPARE room. I had a neighbor who smoked pot and it didn't bother me one bit. I'd rather have a neighbor who gets high than I would a neighbor who is a belligerent alcoholic, heroin addict, crack head or coke junkie. Am I the only person who smells pot regularly in NYC? It's never bothered me one bit. Live and let live.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:25 PM

943 posts, read 1,199,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS5689 View Post
This thread is beyond hilarious. It's a little weed. Get over it. There are a lot of people who smoke, especially in a decriminalized state like New York (note how I said decriminalized, not legalized). If it's bothering you, just go knock on his door one day and see if you can have a polite conversation. Stoners are typically laid-back, nice people (in my experience). They most likely don't know the smell is creeping into your SPARE room. I had a neighbor who smoked pot and it didn't bother me one bit. I'd rather have a neighbor who gets high than I would a neighbor who is a belligerent alcoholic, heroin addict, crack head or coke junkie. Am I the only person who smells pot regularly in NYC? It's never bothered me one bit. Live and let live.
When did we become decriminalized?

I never said my SPARE ROOM! I said my office, which I used daily to work in. And yes, I'd prefer a stoner than an alcoholic, but I do suspect they are drinkers, since I do see them regularly entering with multiple cans of beer and bottles of Vodka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: